Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2021, 08:51 PM
Travel Team

Default Swinney: Offense needs to improve, but 'you don't want to kill their spirit'

https://theclemsoninsider.com/2021/0...-their-spirit/
Old 09-20-2021, 07:10 AM
Two Deep

Default Re: Swinney: Offense needs to improve, but 'you don't want to kill their spirit'

I don't think it is the player's fault.

I think TE is completely letting down the entire offense. It appears the only easy route and pass in our offense is to the RB. What happened to crossing routes? Oh yeah, we have players playing positions that make no sense in the slot. Sorry, they want to get Ngata, Ladson, and Ross all on the field at the same time and that sounds great on paper but results in none of them doing a great job at any of the positions.

If I were OC for a day, I would put Will Taylor in the slot, with Ross and Ngata as the two other WRs. We need to spread the field and actually have some good routes over the middle for Taylor. Use Ross for some back shoulder catches. We need to make the LBs actually cover some TEs.

We keep saying defenses have just great game plans because we are running the same plays we have been running for years. We are extremely predictable.
Old 09-20-2021, 10:28 AM
Tiger Starter

Default Re: Swinney: Offense needs to improve, but 'you don't want to kill their spirit'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebula View Post
I don't think it is the player's fault.

I think TE is completely letting down the entire offense. It appears the only easy route and pass in our offense is to the RB. What happened to crossing routes? Oh yeah, we have players playing positions that make no sense in the slot. Sorry, they want to get Ngata, Ladson, and Ross all on the field at the same time and that sounds great on paper but results in none of them doing a great job at any of the positions.

If I were OC for a day, I would put Will Taylor in the slot, with Ross and Ngata as the two other WRs. We need to spread the field and actually have some good routes over the middle for Taylor. Use Ross for some back shoulder catches. We need to make the LBs actually cover some TEs.

We keep saying defenses have just great game plans because we are running the same plays we have been running for years. We are extremely predictable.

Couldn't agree more. We need the BEST 11 on the field. I know practice may look one way, but in game results show another.

Also there were multiple plays with those WR screens that Ga Tech covered like they knew the play from being in the huddle. Since we don't huddle, they're either queuing off our play call cards or the formation is a dead giveaway. And I get the staff is trying to give DJ easy completions but there a time or two the ball was almost tipped by the defender. That's got to change or an interception won't help DJ's confidence either.
Old 09-20-2021, 12:39 PM
NFL Tiger

Glad to hear CDS admitting and addressing the problems. I do not envy him having to try to coach in today's PC and fragile-ego world. Coaches can't get in players faces and yell and cuss and say and do things to motivate like they used to. Even a simple benching to try to motivate can now result in losing the guy to the transfer portal instead.