Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2020, 06:58 PM
Owner, Publisher

Default The Insider Report

It is time for this week’s edition of The Insider Report.

We hope everyone had a good weekend and that everyone is staying safe during these times.

Modeling Continues for Football Season

The planning continues at Clemson as we draw closer to the start of the football season. The athletic department continues to analyze many models about game day possibilities.

We have talked with several sources over the last week to get the latest on the planning. The safety of the student athletes, the fans and everyone involved continues to be critical.

First we can tell you that the momentum right now is towards trying to find the best way to have as many fans as possible at Clemson home games. One source has talked with a number of schools around the country told us that this is also the case at other universities.

There is still a lot of uncertainty, so new models continue to be added to the mix according to our sources.

As you can imagine the planning has to include everything from the tailgating, to how fans enter the stadium, the seating, concessions, the cleaning of bathrooms, Tiger Walk, postgame and much more.

ESPN is active in the planning as they determine how they will cover the game differently this year.

Decision Timing

Clemson hopes to have some decisions by the end of July on what the game day experience will be in Death Valley.

The next few weeks will be critical as the athletic department hopes to narrow the list of options down. A recommendation will then be made and go through the approval process with the BOT.

All In for Football

Although there are some in the media that are raising alarms about whether there will be a football season, we can tell you that all of our sourcing points to Clemson playing football on schedule.

There are plenty of questions about what game day will look like, but everyone seems to be All In for the Tigers to be starting the season on time.

Student athletes take break for holiday week

We want to let you know Clemson football players are not going through voluntary workouts this week. The players took a week off to go back home or to a friends’ home for July 4 weekend. TCI was told by Clemson this was a scheduled week off by the players who are participating in voluntary workouts.

TCI also learned the men’s basketball team has been working out this week. The players participated in voluntary workouts on Monday and Tuesday and will take the rest of the week off. We were told they will return to Clemson on Sunday.

As for the men’s and women’s soccer and volleyball teams, they have all been participating in voluntary workouts, too. But they will take a scheduled break as well to observe the national holiday.

For those athletes who left campus and have not already tested positive for COVID-19, they will be tested when they return to campus to continue workouts next Monday. We were told the athletic facilities will remain open during the designated time for those players who stay in Clemson and want to continue to work out.

As Clemson reported last week, it is still monitoring 19 active COVID-19 cases as of June 26. The athletic department also reported the 28 individuals who had previously tested positive have completed their minimum 10-day isolation period.

Through June 26, there have been no hospitalizations for any individual within Clemson Athletics related to COVID-19, and approximately half of the cases have been asymptomatic. Once an individual completes the isolation period without symptoms, he or she is re-examined by Clemson’s medical staff.

Clemson has completed 430 tests thus far since June 1, with a total of 47 positive results. Nineteen new cases were identified since the previously announced update on June 19, 14 of whom are football players.

Clemson has notified and isolated each of those individuals for a period of at least 10 days. Known close contacts have also been asked to self-quarantine for at least 14 days and are unable to participate in voluntary activity during that period.

Please do not copy or paste this information to any other media outlets. As you know TCI is Free so if you know someone that wants the information simply send them to The Rock.

Last edited by Will Vandervort; 06-30-2020 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-01-2020, 11:58 AM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: The Insider Report

Going home means players are more likely to be exposed to COVID-19.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:24 PM
NFL Tiger

Default Re: The Insider Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger80 View Post
Thought the same thing. I wonder if the entire team will be tested again when returning and what the infection count will be.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:53 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger80 View Post
I was thinking the opposite - going means they are exposing their families
Old 07-01-2020, 01:22 PM
Two Deep

Almost 11% positive rate...WOW.

If that could were used as a representation for the entire nation (it's not a large enough sample size across age groups and regions though), then we'd be over halfway to the estimated 70 million infections for "herd immunity" (that's the number I saw somewhere).
Old 07-02-2020, 10:53 AM
TCI Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger68 View Post
Thought the same thing. I wonder if the entire team will be tested again when returning and what the infection count will be.
As it says in the report, just the ones who left campus and have not already tested positive for COVID-19 will be tested when they return to campus.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:58 PM
Tiger Starter

I am not optimistic that there will be a football season this year, in any form. The number of COVID-19 cases are rising quickly lately. Even though the death rate seems to be decreasing as the case load rises, it's simply too risky to coordinate team activities (including coaches, support staff, etc.) for practices, travel, and games.

I don't see how fans would be allowed. Can you imagine the reaction when/if fans who attended games start testing positive? The political pressure to end the football season over that will be enormous. Plus, if you only allow certain fans to attend, how do you make that equitable? Or, if you play it without fans, you're talking about a really weird setting for coaches and players. A season like that would always have an asterisk beside it because it just isn't normal.

Plus, if one team or conference cancels football, others will follow. It's hard to play a partial schedule if some of the teams you were supposed to play are no longer participating. Plus, as mentioned previously, the political pressure to comply with cancellations will be huge.

Look how quickly things changed with conference basketball tournaments due to COVID-19. It will be the same way with football. Too much political/media pressure for schools to "do the right thing," especially since the consequences of not complying will be portrayed as a school/team/coach not caring about health and saving lives.

Sadly, economic factors are often ignored in these situations. Nobody seems to care about businesses failing, people being out of work, dreams being shattered, and lives being changed forever as a result of shutdowns and stay at home orders. Plus, this isn't even considering the mental/emotional health side of things.

I'm not trying to minimize the sanctity of life, but acting like preventing hospital crowding and keeping deaths as low as possible is the only factor to think about here is being extremely short-sighted.

I don't know the answer. Thanks for letting me vent. I don't think there will be a football season though.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:40 AM
Two Deep

Thank you for chiming in.

Generally, your opinion is dead wrong so my confidence is at an all time high that the season will be played. There will obviously be tweaks but the show must go on.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:32 AM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodTiger View Post
Thank you for chiming in.

Generally, your opinion is dead wrong so my confidence is at an all time high that the season will be played. There will obviously be tweaks but the show must go on.
Wow, you must be fun at parties! Are you always this likable?

It’s cute that you view football as such an important part of life, but for many people, it doesn’t matter one iota. If millions of people’s businesses, jobs, and livelihood have been put on hold (and in many cases, eliminated) due to COVID-19, you can bet that college football will be too.
Old 07-03-2020, 10:39 AM
Two Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Keller View Post
Wow, you must be fun at parties! Are you always this likable?
Says the guy who posted a pessimistic 7 paragraph rant? Nice of you to make a broad brush assumption based on me calling you out though.

I’m good either way. I just happen to believe the season will be played and see that as a sign things are getting somewhat back to normal.

Feel free to wrap yourself in tinfoil and hide in your basement though. Everyone has their way of handling adverse situations. I chose to attack them head on and look at the bright side of things.
Old 07-03-2020, 02:53 PM
Tiger Starter

I like BTís approach to things! 👍
Old 07-03-2020, 08:33 PM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodTiger View Post
Says the guy who posted a pessimistic 7 paragraph rant? Nice of you to make a broad brush assumption based on me calling you out though.

Iím good either way. I just happen to believe the season will be played and see that as a sign things are getting somewhat back to normal.

Feel free to wrap yourself in tinfoil and hide in your basement though. Everyone has their way of handling adverse situations. I chose to attack them head on and look at the bright side of things.
Ha ha, okay!
Old 07-05-2020, 06:22 AM
Two Deep

I think we are playing college football this year. No question. Young people in great shape are not at much of a risk with this thing.

I will hate seeing coaching staff and support people in masks and gloves during games. But that may be what is in store for 2020.

The question is fans in the seats.

If you are in an at risk category, you should stay home and watch on TV.

I will go and wear at mask if required and if I am able to attend by the policy they implement.