Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2021, 06:24 AM
Founder/Publisher

Default The Turning Point

Shipley has to make that catch. He is a very good RB but has had two critical drops this season that may have changed two games.

Not sure how you fix that but very disappointing.
Old 10-24-2021, 07:57 AM
Two Deep

Default Re: The Turning Point

The problem I have isn't as much with the play but the reaction on the sidelines afterwards. He was sitting on the RB bench with his head down and none of his teammates really picked him up. There were lots of conciliatory pats on the head or shoulder, but no leadership talking him up and getting him back into it from team leaders.

CJ coached him up before he got over there and then after a few minutes Dabo came over, had a nice moment with him and then called all the running backs together and coached them up and then encouraged Shipley again...but where were the offensive players leading and picking him up?!
Old 10-24-2021, 08:29 AM
Two Deep

Remember wasn’t a pass catcher either to late in his career.
Old 10-24-2021, 08:40 AM
Clemson Insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Thorne MacRae View Post
Shipley has to make that catch. He is a very good RB but has had two critical drops this season that may have changed two games.

I think Shipley left 2 TDs on the field. One was the dropped pass and the other was when he had plenty of green grass but tripped. 21-7 would of made a huge difference.
Old 10-24-2021, 10:00 AM
Travel Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Thorne MacRae View Post

In addition, he needs to get those knees up when he is running. How many times yesterday did he get tripped by the foot to prevent a long run?
Old 10-24-2021, 10:11 AM
Two Deep

Based off what I have seen from Shipley he is an above average back but not elite. He may become elite in the next 2-3 seasons but ETN was elite from day one as a RB. He had to work on pass catching but from a carrying the ball stand point he was elite. Shipley has missed several opportunities in the running game that ETN would not have. I think the thing that disappoints me the most is the fact that our staff wanted to hold Mafah back. That kid is built for a o line that is struggling. He is a wrecking ball with a little wiggle. He always seems t be getting yards. There were a couple of times last night when pace hit the line where he was rag dolled backwards. I have not seen that from Mafah.
Old 10-24-2021, 10:40 AM
NFL Tiger

I seriously doubt that Shipley is 100%. His knee injury looked like it was going to be much more serious when it occurred. I thought he did a really nice job as a kick returner yesterday and earlier in the season he was definitely better than Pace who has since stepped up.

We have some real good RBs. I just hope we keep them all. I also, once again, think we need more creativity to get them the ball. Shipley could be split out, moved to the slot, used wit some jet motion (if that even exists anymore), etc. I'd prefer to see him on the field more than Ajou, Swinney, etc.

And regarding that specific dropped pass....why didn't we go back to it a few drives later?? Their defense is aggressive against the run and leaves a lot of deep ball opportunities. Why not try it again??

Last edited by Judge Jeff Davis; 10-24-2021 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-24-2021, 11:49 AM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Jeff Davis View Post
I seriously doubt that Shipley is 100%. His knee injury looked like it was going to be much more serious when it occurred. I thought he did a really nice job as a kick returner yesterday and earlier in the season he was definitely better than Pace who has since stepped up.

We have some real good RBs. I just hope we keep them all. I also, once again, think we need more creativity to get them the ball. Shipley could be split out, moved to the slot, used wit some jet motion (if that even exists anymore), etc. I'd prefer to see him on the field more than Ajou, Swinney, etc.

And regarding that specific dropped pass....why didn't we go back to it a few drives later?? Their defense is aggressive against the run and leaves a lot of deep ball opportunities. Why not try it again??
Good points.