Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2011, 09:48 AM
Tiger Starter

Default Dabo's Rules

SInce we're getting all these great verbal commits , is Dabo's rule of not visiting other schools still in force? Do the commits understand this rule? Will the offer be pulled if they take other visits?..These kids are mostly rising seniors in High school and you can bet they're gonna be getting tons of attention before their senior season of play is done...This could be a slippery slope we may not want to venture in...IMHO
Old 06-21-2011, 09:50 AM
Owner, Publisher

Default Re: Dabo's Rules

Yes that rule is in place and he now has several examples from last year that he can point to. Rest assured the verbal commits understand this.

The question is will they all follow it as they continue to get recruited from other top programs and as their attention from the media dies down as they are committed.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:08 PM
NFL Tiger

These early commits are already actively recruiting for CU themselves.They are unlikely to change their minds despite Dabo's rules...
Old 06-22-2011, 10:09 AM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: Dabo's Rules

If my kid committed to an university, I would kick him out of the house if he tried to go on other visits. Your word is your bond - period!
Old 06-22-2011, 10:54 AM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger80 View Post
If my kid committed to an university, I would kick him out of the house if he tried to go on other visits. Your word is your bond - period!
Unfortunately not a lot of people live by this rule anymore these days.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:10 PM
Two Deep

It's the right thing to do and in the long run we will not miss the players we lose because of the rules. It's great to hear how committed these young men are. I don't want to go back to the days when some kids were just playing with us to build an audience for signing day.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:35 PM
Travel Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger80 View Post
I know a kid that committed to a Big 10 school several years ago. He was then offered by Hawaii. He said he was still committed, he was still going there, but he wasn't turning down a free trip to Hawaii. He enjoyed his free trip and held to his commitment. If you have done your job, let them have their fun with visits and you'll still get them. These visits are a once in a lifetime event for the kids. Let them enjoy it.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:19 PM
Travel Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76orange View Post
SInce we're getting all these great verbal commits , is Dabo's rule of not visiting other schools still in force? Do the commits understand this rule? Will the offer be pulled if they take other visits?..These kids are mostly rising seniors in High school and you can bet they're gonna be getting tons of attention before their senior season of play is done...This could be a slippery slope we may not want to venture in...IMHO
In a way, I'm glad Dabo is taking this stance. What is really needed is solidarity among these coaches, though that will never happen.

It would have been nice to hang onto Pagan and Lane. I know Lane really regretted the visit he took, but oh well.. I imagine we will lose one or two again this year that way.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:57 PM
Two Deep

If the player is good enough all he has to do is hold off committing until he means it. The school will wait for him. When they commit and then back out they do more damage than losing just their commitment. There are the other players who may have wanted to come to Clemson but were not offered because of that commitment and had to make other choices. The coaches have to base their recruiting strategy around these early commitments. It's not just about them having a good time. When they commit they are part of the team and they need to live up to their word.

Last edited by oletiger; 06-28-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:36 AM
Two Deep

This rule helps make sure we don't have any negative signing day surprises.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:06 PM
NFL Tiger

If you're not 100% sure, you shouldn't commit, it's that simple. I think this is a good way to see what kind of character you've got. If a kid can't be taken at his word and flip flops on his decision, what kind of team mate is he going to be? Being all in from day one builds unity and trust from your teammates, something that will pay off in the long run.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:07 PM
Clemson Insider - 2010 March Madness Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllOrange67 View Post
If you're not 100% sure, you shouldn't commit, it's that simple. I think this is a good way to see what kind of character you've got. If a kid can't be taken at his word and flip flops on his decision, what kind of team mate is he going to be? Being all in from day one builds unity and trust from your teammates, something that will pay off in the long run.

150%agree