Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2019, 01:04 PM
Owner, Publisher

Default Wallace thinks this year's defense could be historic

"Last year's defense was really good. We went 15-0 and were the best team ever. When it is all said and done I think this year's defense could be the best to ever play at Clemson."
Old 10-21-2019, 01:15 PM
NFL Tiger

Default Re: Wallace thinks this year's defense could be historic

We wonít know until they play a powerful run offense (not sure who that would be outside Wisconsin). Iím not sure our current dline can hold up for 4 Qtrs of winning football without needing more backers in to support. That could cause other issues against an elite team.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:41 PM
Tiger Starter

I know BC is considered "down" right now, but probably facing the closest to that from the ACC in a few days.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:48 PM
Ring of Honor

Wisconsin just dropped a game to a terrible opponent being a "powerful run offense." Those teams typically don't generate enough offense to beat quality opponents...nor are you going to see any in the playoffs.

Wisconsin, UGA, etc not sure who else fits in that category are easy to prepare for given the resources that schools have now. Tendencies and personnel groupings are almost a joke because the offenses themselves lack imagination. Venables and company would eat that alive. It wouldn't matter what front we're in.

We'll get a taste with BC this weekend, but the starting QB is out for the season. They have 2 huge backs, but I bet they have a hard time on offense.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:25 PM
NFL Tiger

I think Wisconsin got caught looking ahead to the OhioSt game. I still wouldnít discount their ability run and keep the score low with their own defense. However I would agree they donít present challenges with a ton of other playmakers. Thatís why I noted it would need to be an elite team that could make Clemson pay for dedicating more personnel to stop the run. I donít think the run defense gets challenged until the CFP and then that would depend on the matchup.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:43 AM
TCI Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpawgt View Post
I think Wisconsin got caught looking ahead to the OhioSt game. I still wouldnít discount their ability run and keep the score low with their own defense. However I would agree they donít present challenges with a ton of other playmakers. Thatís why I noted it would need to be an elite team that could make Clemson pay for dedicating more personnel to stop the run. I donít think the run defense gets challenged until the CFP and then that would depend on the matchup.
It will help Clemson a lot if they beat Ohio State.