Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > All Welcome > Joe's Place
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2011, 09:34 PM
Clemson Insider

Default Oil Prices

Sort of a spin on the other thread, but a little different. MY question on the price of oil has more to do with WHY THE HELL have all those Senators and Congressmen that were blaming Bush way back when not started doing the same to the Messiah?

Why the hell haven't we heard one person demanding that NObama stop filling the reserves, or demanding a gas tax holiday???

They did it to GWB when oil got over $95/barrel, but now it just broke $100 and NOT ONE PEEP of it being the POTUS's fault, or one person coming out with options like the holiday.

Sickening.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:27 AM
Clemson Insider - 2010 March Madness Champ

Default Re: Oil Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonOwnsSC View Post
Sort of a spin on the other thread, but a little different. MY question on the price of oil has more to do with WHY THE HELL have all those Senators and Congressmen that were blaming Bush way back when not started doing the same to the Messiah?

Why the hell haven't we heard one person demanding that NObama stop filling the reserves, or demanding a gas tax holiday???

They did it to GWB when oil got over $95/barrel, but now it just broke $100 and NOT ONE PEEP of it being the POTUS's fault, or one person coming out with options like the holiday.

Sickening.

Yes it is just that.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:45 PM
NFL Tiger

If we had a strong enough Prez, he would go to the Arab nations and make em bid for our purchases-Lowest bidder gets all our business-rest get shut out-talk about prices dropping! Govt does this with businesses in our country, why not with them?
Or we could just make 1 of them our 51st State and take it.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:49 PM
Travel Team

i read something yesterday that surprised me. I'm not sure I understand it correctly, but what I read was something to the effect of Saudi Arabia upping there production would not really help with the Libyan situation, because the Libyan oil is much higher quality than Saudi, and that higher quality is needed and cannot be replaced by "more" "lower quality" oil.

sorry for the run on sentence....
Old 02-25-2011, 11:03 PM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: Oil Prices

The different quality of oil affects oil prices. In addition, the worsening value of the dollar hurts. A weak dollar makes it more expensive to buy a barrel of oil today than it was a year ago. The fact that we continue to use oil even after the price rises just makes things worse.

The oil situation will not improve anytime in my lifetime and I am 52. We are too dependent upon crude oil for so many things in our lives from plastic to gasoline. Furthermore, carbon based fuel (oil) is the most efficient means of producing power that is presently available. Attempts at alternatives have simply not produced the sheer power of oil - I am talking about the ability of oil to be converted to energy. Heck, even T. Boone Pickens is giving up the wind turbine business.

It would help if Congress would do two things. First, we need to drill domestically. Second, we need to build nuclear power again. We have not built a new nuclear power plant in over 30 years. Meanwhile, even the French have brought on new nuclear power plants over the past several years.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:12 PM
Tiger Starter

There is a new player in the oil market that wasn't there 20-30 years ago, China. China is bidding for the same oil that the West is wanting. The results, higher and higher prices. Add all the unrest in the Middle East into the picture and you have prices going through the roof. Once things stabalize look for prices to drop to around $3.40 - 3.50 a gallon for regular around SC. Before they drop though look for prices to go past $4.00 a gallon. I hope it doesn't take long for prices to stabalize, because the economy isn't going to be able to handle these prices for more than a few months.