Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2019, 05:00 PM
Travel Team

Default Re: Are you in favor of CFP expansion?

When Clemson gets left out with one loss and ranked 6th or 7th, then the Clemson fans will want to see expansion.

Only 6 teams gives the top 2 to much of an advantage by having an off week.

If there should be 3 undefeated teams who is to say which one is 3rd best.

It needs to stay at 4 or go to 8 with all conf. champs in if they play in a conf. champ. game.

Limit no more than 2 teams from one conf. That would give most every area of the nation a team in the playoffs and give those fans a team to pull for.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:04 PM
Two Deep

I would go with 8, as I don't think 4 is enough and I don't like the idea of anybody getting a bye. This is what I would propose:
- 5 Conference Champs, 1 best of Gof5, and 2 at large.
- No more than 2 from any single Conference.
- Top 4 teams play bottom 4 at home.
- Based on this year's calendar, play Round One on 12/21, or 2 weeks after the Conference Championship.
- Play Round Two 2 weeks later at the semi-final bowls, or January 4th, or if it works out better, on the 1st.
- Play the Championship on the 6th or 13th, although, I have no idea why they play it on Mondays?
Old 11-12-2019, 06:36 PM
Travel Team

Yeah I'm an 8 team playoff guy as well.

5 conference champs
1 best group of 5
2 at large
Old 11-12-2019, 06:40 PM
Tiger Starter

LOL at the three at large bids as y’all must want to see four SEC teams in the playoffs every year (conf champ plus all three at large teams). No thanks
Old 11-12-2019, 07:04 PM
Travel Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos View Post
I think it would a great idea to go to 8. First round is a home game for the top 4, second round a week later at bowl destinations, final at the end.

Each conference champion gets in (5). Next three ranked at large teams get in too. I’d even go as far to eliminate divisions and rotate through teams within conferences more. Then at the end the two best records in the conference play.

Regular season matters more that way imo. Every team has a chance, even with a loss. The competition would only get better that way.

If you think the season is too long then cut out a powder puff game.
This, take the human element out for 5 spots. As far as season being too long they could go back to a 11 game season like it used to be, conference crossover games would no longer be necessary for schedule comparisons. Just win your conference your in.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:05 PM
Travel Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandy86 View Post
This, take the human element out for 5 spots. As far as season being too long they could go back to a 11 game season like it used to be, conference crossover games would no longer be necessary for schedule comparisons. Just win your conference your in.
Plus I like the idea of playing Uof SC before Thanksgiving.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:30 PM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandy86 View Post
So if you make the CFP 8 teams and reduce down to 11 games, the other 122 FBS teams all lose a game (and revenue) off their schedule?

Also, giving an automatic bid to P5 Champions isn’t a good idea. This is too much like the BCS. So if we were to get upset in the ACC Championship, a 7-6 Pitt team would go to the CFP?
Old 11-13-2019, 09:30 AM
NFL Tiger

6 team expansion is out because byes are too large of an advantage.

Expanding to 8 isn't about the 7th or 8th best team. It's about the 5th and 6th.

And I'm not in favor of expanding the playoffs without also reworking the conferences and making the playoffs about nothing more than wins and losses on the field. Expansion itself isn't going to remove the subjective criteria we have to put up with now which I think is harming the game. We spend more time talking about playoff seedings/rankings then we do talking about the games themselves. LSU had barely finished winning the game before the talking heads launched into a debate about where Bama would fall into the rankings. It's just bad for football.

If you want to have an actual real playoff then you have to allow the games during the regular season be the only factor in deciding who gets an opportunity to play for a championship. Otherwise you'll end up with the BS that was the 2014 playoffs again very soon.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:31 AM
Ring of Honor

I do not like the highest ranked group of 5 team getting in there. That’s giving an elite team a first round bye pretty much. Imagine us having to play like Ohio State in the first round while LSU gets to play Cincinnati or Memphis.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:25 PM
NFL Tiger

No

16 games is a professional schedule. Thats it. Even with every advantage players get in the form of tutoring, going to classes and practicing 20 hours a week is a tremendous burden.

Also, a rock solid HARD NO on a 6 team playoff giving two teams that were arbitrarily chosen a bye(welcome back to the Bullcrap Collusion System). I don't support expansion but when it does change, 8 is the only "just" way to do it.

Last edited by mikelongstroke; 11-13-2019 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-13-2019, 03:44 PM
Two Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggershark View Post
So if you make the CFP 8 teams and reduce down to 11 games, the other 122 FBS teams all lose a game (and revenue) off their schedule?

Also, giving an automatic bid to P5 Champions isn’t a good idea. This is too much like the BCS. So if we were to get upset in the ACC Championship, a 7-6 Pitt team would go to the CFP?
Nope, because in the model he quoted, there are no more divisions. So last season we'd have played Syracuse, and (in this model) since there are no more divisions you rotate through the schools a lot, so the risk of a rematch, while there, would be mitigated.

The season used to be 11 games until what, 2006? They'd be fine.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:41 PM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos View Post
Nope, because in the model he quoted, there are no more divisions. So last season we'd have played Syracuse, and (in this model) since there are no more divisions you rotate through the schools a lot, so the risk of a rematch, while there, would be mitigated.

The season used to be 11 games until what, 2006? They'd be fine.
Ok, I took no cross conference games to mean out of conference but you are saying that means no divisions. So 8 randomly selected conference games. The problem with any model is there are always scenarios that it fails. 4 7-1 teams that didn’t play each other. One 8-0 team and 4 6-2 teams. Then with the loss of a home game you are immediately looking at a price increase of 16% to cover the loss of revenue.

I don’t see where the current model is failing. Win and your in.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:46 PM
The Gambler - Charter Member - Clemson Insider - Gate Veteran

I am all for it. I want to Mike Leech’s plan of a 64 team playoff. That would be awesome!
Old 11-14-2019, 02:39 PM
TCI Staff

No! No need in an 8-team playoff.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:15 PM
Two Deep

4 is all you need. If you do it right. Gotta win to get in. Losing and getting a bye in your conference champ game is not the way to get in.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:41 PM
TCI Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by URR29 View Post
4 is all you need. If you do it right. Gotta win to get in. Losing and getting a bye in your conference champ game is not the way to get in.
+1
Old 11-16-2019, 10:10 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by URR29 View Post
Stay at 4, however the CFP criteria should be adjusted to make a conference title a greater criteria than just a tiebreaker. It should be a rare circumstance that a team that didn’t play in its conference championship game make it in over a conference champ.
Old 11-16-2019, 01:50 PM
Two Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoore8 View Post
Yes and it's very simple. 8 teams, 5 conference champs and 3 at large.
This!!