Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2022, 06:47 AM
Founder/Publisher

Default Where would you like to see Clemson after this phase of realignment?

Where do you want to see Clemson end up?
Old 07-01-2022, 07:40 AM
Tiger Starter

Default Re: Where would you like to see Clemson after this phase of realignment?

Anywhere but left behind tethered to a sinking ship.
Old 07-01-2022, 08:02 AM
Ring of Honor

Default Re: Where would you like to see Clemson after this phase of realignment?

As long as the money was equal, I would say Big10. Chickens would lose their minds if we were in the SEC.
Old 07-01-2022, 08:04 AM
TCI Staff

It's easy....SEC ha
We've always been more of an "SEC school" anyways....and I can only imagine how our prospects would increase in multiple sports playing those teams more!
Old 07-01-2022, 08:10 AM
Ring of Honor

Tough question. I despise the SEC and their cheerleading conference fans but they are a better fit based on location. Would be great if we could go in and win an SEC championship as it would kill the Coots. I would also like to win the BIG as it would destroy the Ohio fans.

I guess my answer is I am not in love with either option.
Old 07-01-2022, 08:12 AM
NFL Tiger

Both options suck. But I think we are rapidly approaching the pick your poison time.
Old 07-01-2022, 08:31 AM
Tiger Starter

Geographically I say the SEC. We play a good many of the SEC teams when possible. Ans it'd be nice to shed the dead weight of some current conference members.
Old 07-01-2022, 08:42 AM
Ring of Honor

SEC would be my first pick, but wouldnt complain about the B1G. It wont be the ACC, the money disparity is going to be astronomical. No way in hell ND elects to jump in the ACC either.....so the conference will be something along the lines of the Big East or something.
Old 07-01-2022, 08:44 AM
Travel Team

I plan to take a shower after saying this but itís time to join the SEC! If we donít say good bye to Clemson as a national power in anything. The Gamecocks would hate it which would make it even better!
Old 07-01-2022, 09:13 AM
Walk On

My worry is what happens to our proud Soccer tradition? SEC doesnít even sponsor mens soccer Coach Noonan is building a powerhouse and we are at the top in terms of attendance Would hate yo see that fall by the wayside like SCAR Their program has plummeted since joining the SEC
Old 07-01-2022, 09:18 AM
Ring of Honor

Personally, Iíd like to see a new conference developed out of the ACC. Perhaps 16-18 schools formed out of options from the Big12. With super conferences the destination maybe ND chooses to go with us instead of the Big10. I donít like the idea of pulling in stragglers from the PAC12, since they will bring little market value and lots of logistical costs.

Hereís a question. How competitive can Clemson be in a super conference SEC across all its sports? Are you ok being a perennial mid pack school in nearly every sport? I think thereís a good chance Clemson becomes the equivalent of what NCSt is in the ACC right now. Iíd rather be a contending for championships in each sport in perhaps a lesser conference compared to the Big10 or SEC but still have access to the college football playoffs. I recognize this may not be feasible, but many have speculated the breakaway schools from the NCAA could be about 50 schools, so in theory thereís room for a third super conference.
Old 07-01-2022, 10:43 AM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpawgt View Post
Hereís a question. How competitive can Clemson be in a super conference SEC across all its sports? Are you ok being a perennial mid pack school in nearly every sport? I think thereís a good chance Clemson becomes the equivalent of what NCSt is in the ACC right now. Iíd rather be a contending for championships in each sport in perhaps a lesser conference compared to the Big10 or SEC but still have access to the college football playoffs. I recognize this may not be feasible, but many have speculated the breakaway schools from the NCAA could be about 50 schools, so in theory thereís room for a third super conference.
I think Clemson would continue to be competitive in the sports they are currently national contenders in: football, menís and womenís soccer, menís golf and softball. Remember we are operating on a 2/3 budget as the SEC and Big 10. On a level playing field we may find other sports where we excel.
Old 07-01-2022, 07:08 PM
The Gambler - Charter Member - Clemson Insider - Gate Veteran

The ACC but somehow making a lot more money annually.
Old 07-01-2022, 09:18 PM
Tiger Starter

Big 10.
Old 07-01-2022, 09:22 PM
Scholarship Player

Since I live in Florida, I would rather see us in the SEC. I would have a better chance of getting to some road games. I also think it would be better for our recruiting in the southeast.
Old 07-01-2022, 11:03 PM
Ring of Honor

Honestly Iíd like to see more of a hybrid model. For football super conference ďXĒ is fine but Iíd actually prefer the non-football sports stay more regionally focused. Im not real sure that is possible but Iím just not sure traveling to tx (or worse CA) for a mid-week volleyball game is in the best interest of our student athletes.

Maybe that is the trick to the GORÖleave for football but stay in the ACC for everything else - claim the ND model
Old 07-02-2022, 12:14 AM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtwntiger View Post
My worry is what happens to our proud Soccer tradition? SEC doesnít even sponsor mens soccer Coach Noonan is building a powerhouse and we are at the top in terms of attendance Would hate yo see that fall by the wayside like SCAR Their program has plummeted since joining the SEC
They donít do wrestling either, but Oklahoma and Missouri still have consistently top 10 teams. I think both compete in the Big 12 for that sport. Itís less than perfect, but there are work arounds
Old 07-02-2022, 09:23 AM
Tiger Starter

B1g
Old 07-02-2022, 09:37 AM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: Where would you like to see Clemson after this phase of realignment?

SEC

Do you really want the Tigers to travel to Wisconsin, Iowa, or Michigan in November?
Old 07-02-2022, 09:55 AM
Two Deep

SEC seems like a better fit and more likely, but wouldnít mind the BiG. Wish this would be confirmed sooner than later. I think having Neff lead the charge will help Because he doesnít Feel the need to stay the course for historical purposes (hopefully).