Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2021, 07:33 PM
NFL Tiger

Default Re: Clemson Recruiting 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRTTMT View Post
Likes his commitment even better. Brenen is the fastest WR in 22 class.

https://twitter.com/BrenenT11/status...12004473184257

247 Texas Insider just gave a prediction(CB) of Brenen to Clemson

Last edited by MRTTMT; 03-03-2021 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:41 PM
NFL Tiger

Talking Re: Clemson Recruiting 2022

Quote:

247 now CBing Brenen Thompson 100% to Clemson Oklahoma Insider flipping this AM
Old 03-04-2021, 02:59 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
247 now CBing Brenen Thompson 100% to Clemson Oklahoma Insider flipping this AM
Awesome! Lol
Old 03-04-2021, 05:58 PM
Ring of Honor

Klubnik seems like a good kid. I donít know if itís just me but it seems like heís got really long arms.

Would love to have Thompson too. We need more speed at receiver.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:20 AM
Travel Team

Rumor is Shaw and Walker are visiting this weekend...
Old 03-05-2021, 09:57 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:

Been waiting 10 yrs for another Jacoby Ford.
Old 03-14-2021, 12:22 PM
Two Deep

As we move into spring, Clemson's big board for the 2022 recruiting class continues to evolve. We still don't know what will happen with visits and camps in the summertime but that is when Clemson traditionally likes to fill out the class and get the majority of our targets locked in.

As with every cycle, there will be new names that emerge as the timeline moves but there is a core group of players that have risen to the top as our primary focus:

QB
We got our man at the most important position on the field. I don't want to rehash what has already been discussed extensively in regards to how things worked out here but I honestly feel that we got the better end of the deal. I wish Ty Simpson a successful future but, if I was a betting man, I would put money on Klubnik ending up a more impactful player by the time each leave college. I don't want this to come off as sour grapes, you can see my comments in this thread well in advance of Simpson's announcement.

RB
We only have two offers at this position and one of them, 5* Emmanuel Henderson, just committed to his home state school Alabama. Right now our eggs are all in the Trevor Etienne basket. There is a lot of optimism here that he could choose the school that made his brother a superstar but it has been reported that Travis is encouraging him to make his own decision. Trevor reportedly grew up a LSU fan and they have offered but they are also making other targets a bigger priority and slow-playing him a bit at the moment (kind of funny beacuse that is exactly how we ended up with Travis). Another name to keep an eye on here is Branson Robinson out of Mississippi. He is on record as saying he is interested in what Clemson is all about and if we offered, it would be something he takes very seriously. Keep an eye peeled there. If we officially extend one to him, it may indicate how we are feeling about ETNv2.

WR
Our primary receiver target at this point is Brenen Thompson out of Texas. A peripheral benefit of landing Klubnik is that he and Thompson have a great relationship and BT likes the idea of catching passes from his buddy in college. We are in good shape here and I have moved him up to the "Good Position" level. There are no other offers out there at the moment but Antonio Williams might be a name to know. He is a SC kid from Dutch Fork HS. He desires a Clemson offer but we haven't pulled the trigger yet. If we decide to take a 3rd WR or things change with BT, it could happen.

TE
Our primary target continues to be Jaleel Skinner. No other existing offers are realistic so it will be interesting to see where we go if he is leaning to Florida as recent reports indicate.

OL
With our two comittments and heavy interest from Gunner Givens, we like where stand here. One additional name to keep an eye on is Julian Armella out of Florida. He has come on of late and it appears we are making him a higher priorty in terms of contact. He's got great size and athleticism and would be a coup to pull him out of south FL.

DL
We continue to focus on mostly elite targets at this position and Clemson's track record of NFL talent has earned us the luxury to do that. At end, White and Jackson are the ones we have most traction with but both are being heavily recruited by all the blue bloods. Campbell is slightly lower in the rankings but Clemson coaches love his game and he is heavily reciprocating interest. After transferring to IMG, we will get a good view of his skill level competing against much tougher competition this season.
At tackle, Shaw is the man we covet. GBD has also shown heavy interest but Oklahoma continues to be named as the leader. It will be interesting to see that recruitment continue and if we can further get in the door. Nolen is also a big name but most of his buzz is in relation to SEC schools.

LB
At linebacker, Jalon Walker is the man we covet. He is deciding on March 28 and we are feeling good at this point. North Carolina and UGA are the other contenders. The other primary option is Daniel Martin out of Georgia. He has a similar lanky athletic build as Isaiah Simmons coming out of high school and that is what we are selling him on. We like him as a sam/safety/nikel combo. UGA is the main contender there and it will be tough to get him out of his home state but that's what people said early on about Barrett Carter last season. Aside from those two, there is not a lot of buzz.

CB
Clemson is planning on taking three at this position and there are three clear corners that are the top of our board at the moment. Lukus out of SC, Evertette out of FL, and Pride out of MO. We like where we stand with all three but work needs to continue as they are all being sought after by top schools. OSU is our main competition for both Lukus & Pride but they already have two highly ranked CB commits so far in this cycle. It's mostly an ACC battle for Everette with FSU and VT the main contenders.
After the top level, Nikai Martinez, Ryan Turner & Jaeden Gould are other targets we've been communicating with.

S
For the second year in a row, safety is kind of a mixed bag. I don't quite understand it but, for some reason, this is one position where we have not been able to get much traction with the elite targets since we have ascended to our current status in college football.
For this cycle, the primary target seems to have shifted. Early on, we were hard after Keon Sabb but word is we have backed off a bit. There is talk that he will likely grow into a LB with his frame. The attention has shifted heavily to Zion Branch. The issue there is he is a west coast kid and, while we have been successful getting a handful of kids from CA, it is always tough to get these type of kids away from the USC, Oregon & Arizona States of the world. We continue to push hard and he has said good things about us publicly but I am not holding my breath until I see a visit.
I foresee some additional offers going out at this position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodTiger View Post

Current Commitments (4)
Cade Klubnik QB 4* (Committed 3/2)
Adam Randall WR 4*
Blake Miller OL 4*
Collin Sadler OL 4*

In Good Position to Land Commitment (9)
Trevor Etienne RB 4*
Brenen Thompson WR 4* (Priority)
Jaleel Skinner TE 4*
Gunner Givens OL 4*
Travis Shaw DT 5*
Jihaad Campbell DE 3*
Jalon Walker LB 4* (Committing 3/28)
Jeadyn Lukus CB 4*
Daylen Everette CB 4*

Others Strongly Considering (12)
Julian Armella OL 4* (Added focus)
Walter Nolen DT 5*
Gabriel Brownlow-Dindy DT 5*
Enai White DE 5*
Shemar Stewart DE 5*
Kenyatta Jackson DE 4*
Daniel Martin LB 4*
TJ Dudley LB 4*
Toriano Pride CB 4* (Now one of our top targets at corner)
Nikai Martinez CB 4*
Keon Sabb S 5* (Hearing we have backed off somewhat)
Zion Branch S 4* (Hearing he is now our priority at safety)

Removed from Consideration (3)
Ty Simpson QB 5* (Committed to Bama)
Jaheim Singletary CB 5* (Committed to OSU)
Larry Turner-Gooden DB 4* (Committed to ASU)

Last edited by BloodTiger; 03-14-2021 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-14-2021, 12:41 PM
NFL Tiger

Thank you for all your effort. This is awesome.
Old 03-28-2021, 02:44 PM
Travel Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasani View Post
Burch, Foreman, Green, Simpson...

Bama became a player less than a week ago.

Jeff Scott, we miss you...
Adding Walker to this list.

Dawgs came on strong in the last week. Sound familiar?

Not able to close the deal last couple recruiting cycles.

Going to come back and bite us...
Old 03-28-2021, 03:10 PM
Ring of Honor

Donít you guys think not being able to host recruits and have the high school summer camp last year has made this class much harder to hold down the lead for players?

I do hope getting recruiting back to the normal process will get things back on track. This class might just have to be chucked up as another reason Covid made things much harder.
Old 03-29-2021, 06:26 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasani View Post
Adding Walker to this list.

Dawgs came on strong in the last week. Sound familiar?

Not able to close the deal last couple recruiting cycles.

Going to come back and bite us...

We closed many deals the last two cycles and even when CJS was here did not win every recruiting battle. Clemson sells relationships and being different which cant be seen on a zoom call. Frankly i am surprised we have done as well as we have given that virtual recruiting works against Clemson and for the snake oil sales types.

Last edited by Ken; 03-29-2021 at 06:42 AM.
Old 03-29-2021, 06:48 AM
Founder/Publisher

Things opening up in June will certainly help Dabo
Old 03-29-2021, 09:25 AM
Two Deep

Well, there is no way to spin it. Jalon Walker was our primary target at LB this cycle and him committing to UGA was unexpected until winds began to shift early last week. There is no denying that UGA has a lot to offer as a program and Kirby & Co are known as an ace recruiting staff so this one stings but I would not chalk it up to our staff slipping in any way or some sort of broader issue with the program. I get that people can be emotional but this is just the recruiting game. You win some and you lose some and we have won our fair share recently including vs. the Dawgs.

One thing to keep an eye on is that our staff will not stop recruiting Jalon as long as he is reciprocating communication. When visits open back up in June, as is expected, lets see if we can get him on campus. There is a long way to go until December.

Moving on to other items of interest:

S
In my last update, I mentioned that I expected some more offers to go out at the safety position and we saw two since that time.

The first was to Jacoby Matthews a 5* out of Louisiana. He has mentioned that we were a key offer he was looking for and that he is interested but pulling a top defensive back out of LSU back yard is always going to be a difficult proposition. I would temper expectations here and lets see if he actually decides to visit. I am not adding him to the tracking list until I see this evolve more.

The second looks much more promising. Sherrod Covil is a 4* out of Virginia and he included us in his Top-11 that was released on Twitter Friday. VT is the main competition here but he has mentioned that we were his dream school so I think we have to be feeling good about getting heavily in the mix on this one.

We will continue to push on Zion Branch and see if we can get him on campus from the west coast. Temper your expectations on Nwankpa as he appears to be leaning hard to OSU. A couple other fringe names from FL to keep an eye on are Azareyeh Thomas and Edric Weldon.

LB
So, with the fallout of the Walker situation, where do we go? Well, we continue to be heavily involved with Daniel Martin out of Georgia. Even though we are recruiting him as a safety/Nickel/SAM LB combo, I will continue to track him here as that is the position he will eventually grow into. Georgia insiders have said they only plan to take one ILB this cycle and with the commitment of Walker, there is a good chance they back off of Martin which opens the door for us to make a big move.

Another possibility is that we get more involved with Keon Sabb again. I mentioned in my last update that we had backed off a bit due to the thought that he would eventually grow into a LB and we had others at higher priority at that position.

OL
We appear to have backed off Gunner Givens hard at this point. If you recall from one of my notes on Pg. 1 of this thread, he was always considered a project but was thought to have a high ceiling. He was a TE and had never played OL up to this point in high school but hit a growth spurt and was transitioning to tackle. Well apparently he has not looked good at camps and many teams are re-evaluating. The rating services dropped him from a 5* to 4* and it appears we are in the same mindset.

Also of note, a new offer went out to Kiyaunta Goodwin. He is a great prospect but I am not adding him to the tracking list at this time as he is considered a Kentucky vs OSU battle.

DL
A couple of intriguing new offers are out there:

DE Samuel Okunlola out of Massachusetts could be one to keep an eye on.

DE DJ Wesolak claims to have interest in us but most insiders say he is a ND lean.

DT Hero Kanu is a German prospect living with a host family in CA that is blowing up right now. All the big programs are offering and it will be intersting to see if we can get involved.

In regard to visits:
DE Enai White has set three official visits to OSU, Florida & Bama. He is supposed to be deciding between us and UGA for the June 12 weekend. That will tell a lot on how serious he is with the Tigers.

Lastly, I want to say how great it will be to finally be able to get kids back on campus. If you did not know, the NCAA has recently ruled to re-open visits beginning after the May 31 dead period. Several schools are planning big recruiting weekends in June and news had been sparse on what Clemson had in the works. If you didn't see my thread from Saturday, Robert answered that we are in fact scheduling to have ours the weekend of June 12.

Anyone that follows our recruiting knows that we thrive in person and getting kids in to see the facilities. This should be a big boost to our efforts!

Quote:

Current Commitments (4)
Cade Klubnik QB 4*
Adam Randall WR 4*
Blake Miller OL 4*
Collin Sadler OL 4*

In Good Position to Land Commitment (7)
Trevor Etienne RB 4*
Brenen Thompson WR 4*
Jaleel Skinner TE 4*
Travis Shaw DT 5*
Jihaad Campbell DE 3*
Jeadyn Lukus CB 4*
Daylen Everette CB 4*

Others Strongly Considering (14)
Julian Armella OL 4*
Gunner Givens OL 4* (Focus shifted to other targets)
Walter Nolen DT 5*
Enai White DE 5*
Shemar Stewart DE 5*
Kenyatta Jackson DE 4*
Daniel Martin LB 4*
TJ Dudley LB 4*
Toriano Pride CB 4*
Nikai Martinez CB 4*
Keon Sabb S 5*
Zion Branch S 4*
Sherrod Covil S 4* (Added offer)

Removed from Consideration (4)
Jalon Walker LB 4* (Committed to UGA)

Last edited by BloodTiger; 03-29-2021 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-13-2021, 05:21 PM
Two Deep

With the impending excitement of on-campus visits returning in the summer, I do not think you will see a lot of kids commit in the next month and a half. What you will see is kids begin to narrow down or solidfy their lists of top schools and, as the old adage goes, actions speak louder than words.

We will see what kids are serious about Clemson and go out of their way to make it on a visit. The reason I say that is, while several big time schools are taking advantage of the buzz of being able to meet in person again and scheduling all expense paid official visits, word from most outlets is that Clemson will stick to their policy of not doing officials in the summer and the "Elite Retreat" will be unofficial trips.

It will be interesting to see if that affects anyone's decisions and if our competition are able to persuade mutual targets to go to their school instead that weekend.

On to some updates:

RB
In a previous note, I mentioned that Branson Robinson was on our radar and that an offer may go out with us having only one other running back candidate in ETNv2. Well, it was officially extended at the end of March and he has already included us in his Twitter Top-5 released soon after. That's the good news. The bad news is I believe UGA has a pretty firm lead here. Branson plans to visit us for the Elite Retreat but his trip to Athens is scheduled for the weekend before. If he doesn't develop "car trouble" and actually makes it to campus, I will officially add him to my tracking list. In the meantime, ETNv2 continues to be my leader in the clubhouse for our most likely RB take in 2022.

DL
I mentioned the DE Samuel Okunlola offer in the last update and there has been a lot of buzz around him as being a strong candidate for us. He has also seen his recruitment blow up with offers from FSU, UGA & Texas following ours. I foresee him getting a bump to a 4* once kids are reevaluated. I am adding him to the list.

DE Cyrus Moss recently included us in his Twitter Top-5 and has spoken well of us in interviews. I still believe he ends up out west in the long run but he is definitely a candidate worth watching.

Another one in that mold is DT Alex VanSumeren out of MI. He recently included us in a Top-3 that also included MSU & PSU. He probably ends up in BIG TEN country but worth watching if we can get him on a visit.

I mentioned in a previous update DT Walter Nolen is likely SEC bound. He did not include us in his most recent Twitter Top-8

S
A safety prospect I mentioned in the last update, Azareyeh Thomas, recently included us in a Twitter Top-8. He is a track kid with a lot of speed and is an incredible athlete. With us losing traction on some of our previous top targets, I could foresee us turning up the heat on him. He definitely has some buzz right now.

As our visit list evolves as we get closer to June 12, you will truly see who our top priorities are and who is actually reciprocating interest. Typically we like to get our top guys to pledge early and I foresee several commitments possible that weekend or in the month following.

It's about to get exciting. Buckle up.

Quote:

Current Commitments (4)
Cade Klubnik QB 4*
Adam Randall WR 4*
Blake Miller OL 4*
Collin Sadler OL 4*

In Good Position to Land Commitment (8)
Trevor Etienne RB 4*
Brenen Thompson WR 4*
Jaleel Skinner TE 4*
Travis Shaw DT 5*
Jihaad Campbell DE 3*
Jeadyn Lukus CB 4*
Toriano Pride CB 4*
Daylen Everette CB 4*

Others Strongly Considering (14)
Julian Armella OL 4*
Gunner Givens OL 4*
Enai White DE 5*
Shemar Stewart DE 5*
Kenyatta Jackson DE 4*
Samuel Okunlola DE 3* (Added offer)
Daniel Martin LB 4*
TJ Dudley LB 4*
Nikai Martinez CB 4*
Keon Sabb S 5*
Zion Branch S 4*
Sherrod Covil S 4*
Azareyeh Thomas S 4* (Included in Twitter Top-8)

Removed from Consideration (5)
Walter Nolen DT 5* (Not included in Twitter Top-8)
Jalon Walker LB 4* (Committed to UGA)

Last edited by BloodTiger; 04-13-2021 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-29-2021, 06:00 AM
Two Deep

A couple quick hitters:

At cornerback, we have given out two new offers in the past week. The first was to Jayden Bellamy a 3* out of NJ and the second to Terrance Brooks a 4* from TX. This is interesting to me because the prevailing thought was that we were feeling pretty good about our top 3 CB targets. Word is that UGA is coming on hard for Daylen Everette right now so our staff is possibly hedging on this position. There is also the thought by some that Everette grows into a safety so the other possibility is that we are recruiting him for that spot but still plan to take three corners. Something to keep an eye on.

DE DJ Wesolak got another low level prediction for Clemson. While I don’t put a ton of stock into either analyst, there is obviously more smoke to his recruitment than I originally thought. When I do my next full update, I’ll be adding him to the list.

Last edited by BloodTiger; 04-29-2021 at 06:04 AM.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:18 PM
NFL Tiger

With recruiting trending so quickly with them wanting to end it in the summer, before we offer officials, is Dabo going to have to adjust? Yes there will be guys that develop later that can be last minute steals but that seems like passing up on more options. A bird in hand is better than 2 in the bush. I am really happy with the guys we have on board. And we all know that Dabo can pull rabbits from a hat, but just wondering if we can keep it going this particular path. Really hate seeing UGA OSU, etc. going on so strongly. Now, UNC a threat in some battles. I know it's a long time until Dec. but with the many changes, NIL, etc., just want us to be proactive and not reactive. The landscape is changing. Will we keep it going?
Old 05-04-2021, 06:42 AM
Ring of Honor

The landscape and rules sure have changed. Recruits can now commit, sign their letter of intent, and enroll. Arrive on campus early or for summer semester to test the water and then pull a ďBelkĒ. Nothing stops unscrupulous schools from chirping in their ear while they acclimating to college life and questioning their decision. What a mess. The only good news is that Clemson has a great culture to help withstand this new paradigm. I expect some schools will really get burned by the new transfer rules.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:20 AM
Two Deep

I am a big “trust the coaches” advocate with this program because it is pretty obvious Dabo had a vision of how he wanted to build our team & culture from inside out. The results speak for themselves.

That being said, I think it is inevitable that we will have to adjust some of our policies with the changing landscape of college football. If you are not adaptable in this day and age, you will get left behind.

Dabo has already shown that he is willing to do that by creating the transfer portal coordination position on the staff. I have a feeling we will re-evaluate official visits as well. With kids signing in December now, it seems the trend is the majority are committed by summer time.

What I do know is that this staff is very deliberate & strategic in what they do and I will be curious to see how they handle the new evolution with one-time free transfer, NIL, in person visits reopening, etc.

Last edited by BloodTiger; 05-04-2021 at 08:27 AM.