Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Register Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2018, 08:57 AM
Publisher, Recruiting Editor

Default ACC continues to fall behind in revenue

Article
Old 07-09-2018, 09:21 AM
Scholarship Player

Default Re: ACC continues to fall behind in revenue

Thanks for getting my week off to a bad start.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:30 AM
Travel Team

The ACC may actually come up several million short this year. Since the Orange Bowl is a semifinal site the ACC will not receive the guaranteed Orange Bowl money.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:02 AM
Ring of Honor

Awful....period. The conference is a joke in terms of being a money maker and will continue to be unless some schools start picking up the football "effort."

That's a huge gap from us to the Big 10 and SEC....good grief.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:04 AM
TCI Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalT View Post
The ACC may actually come up several million short this year. Since the Orange Bowl is a semifinal site the ACC will not receive the guaranteed Orange Bowl money.
Actually, a million short per school. Clemson told us they are budgeting $25.8 million for 2018-'19 because of the Orange Bowl. However, if Clemson goes to the Orange Bowl or the other CFP game, then the conference revenue will perhaps go up. They just cannot assume anything right now, though.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:20 AM
Tiger Starter

One thing to remember is the size of Big10 athletic dept budgets. Schools like Mich and OSU need every dime of that tv revenue just to break even. They do support more non-revenue sports than Clemson, so to some extent it is proportional. However, I agree this disparity is alarming if the ACC Network doesnít do well. The network is launching under difficult head winds given how the tv/satellite lanscape is changing. Personally Iím not too optimistic the deal with ESPN is going to do as well as needed. Does the ACC have a follow up / backup plan, or will the ESPN contract become a boat anchor for the conference?
Old 07-09-2018, 10:50 AM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: ACC continues to fall behind in revenue

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpawgt View Post
One thing to remember is the size of Big10 athletic dept budgets. Schools like Mich and OSU need every dime of that tv revenue just to break even. They do support more non-revenue sports than Clemson, so to some extent it is proportional. However, I agree this disparity is alarming if the ACC Network doesnít do well. The network is launching under difficult head winds given how the tv/satellite lanscape is changing. Personally Iím not too optimistic the deal with ESPN is going to do as well as needed. Does the ACC have a follow up / backup plan, or will the ESPN contract become a boat anchor for the conference?
I wonder if the ATT acquisition of Time-Warner will affect sports? Will they seek an advertising agreement as they grow?
Old 07-09-2018, 02:22 PM
Tiger Starter

Sad. I said it then and I'll say it now, I don't believe being partners with ESPN isn't the way to do it. We have seen the troubles ESPN has had with subscription and I feel we may just be too late. Thats why I wanted to go an independent route and stream a subscription based channel on the internet. Let each schools run their channel and keep their profits. Of course ESPN can buy the rights from the ACC or each individual school for the big games but the day of ESPN owning the rights to the whole conference is over. But what did the ACC and Swoffie do, they signed their soul away to ESPN and now the ACC will live and die by the hand of ESPN. The ACC could have been innovative and at the forefront of something special but as per usual they follow suit a decade behind when evidence is overwhelming that people are cutting the cord and subscriptions to ESPN dropping.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:58 PM
Ring of Honor

Blah, blah, blah... Clemson and the ACC suck, why don't we just QUIT!!!
Old 07-10-2018, 03:22 PM
TCI Staff

Quote:
Good question! Radakovich told Robert and myself at the ACC Spring Meetings in May that the ACC is "All In" with ESPN. They feel like ESPN will adjust with the changing times and will make their product as successful as it has the SEC's.

I can say Robert really grilled him on this subject, but Radakovich did not change his stance. He thinks it is going to work. So it does not sound like they have a backup plan.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:42 PM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Vandervort View Post
Good question! Radakovich told Robert and myself at the ACC Spring Meetings in May that the ACC is "All In" with ESPN. They feel like ESPN will adjust with the changing times and will make their product as successful as it has the SEC's.

I can say Robert really grilled him on this subject, but Radakovich did not change his stance. He thinks it is going to work. So it does not sound like they have a backup plan.
That is concerning. Canít they see ESPN has issues larger than their own programming? The headwinds that they are dealing with are the industry structure. People are abandoning cable/sat not because they are tired of ESPN, rather younger viewers are not accepting the traditional tv business model. Then family/older viewers are dropping due to overall cost vs benefit of cable/sat.

The times are a changin! The ACC needs to take some risks to find the new way to attract viewers (and also fanís live attendance). Following the pack into a burning building doesnít really make sense.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:59 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
That is concerning. Canít they see ESPN has issues larger than their own programming? The headwinds that they are dealing with are the industry structure. People are abandoning cable/sat not because they are tired of ESPN, rather younger viewers are not accepting the traditional tv business model. Then family/older viewers are dropping due to overall cost vs benefit of cable/sat.

The times are a changin! The ACC needs to take some risks to find the new way to attract viewers (and also fanís live attendance). Following the pack into a burning building doesnít really make sense.

The problem is for better or worse we are signed with ESPN thru 2036 and do not posses the ability to take any risks on the media side.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:52 AM
Publisher, Recruiting Editor

Quote:

The times are changing and were already changing when the ACC linked their wagon to ESPN. I thought it was a big mistake at the time. We will see how it plays out but right now it does not look like a good move.