Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2017, 09:58 AM
TCI Staff

Default Tajh Boyd gives shocking comments about Swinney’s program in the early years

Clemson’s former quarterback was on ESPNU Radio’s First-Team Show with Greg McElroy and Taylor Zarzour on Friday morning.

Boyd was asked by Zarzour if he thought Dabo Swinney was going to be fired after losing to South Florida in the 2010 Meineke Car Care Bowl in Charlotte. Boyd’s answer on what some of the senior players were saying that year might surprise you.

“Not really. There is so much that goes into it," Boyd said. "Everyone automatically assumes that it goes on the coach when you lose games, but a lot of it has do with the leadership on the team as well.

“I was in the locker room after that game in Charlotte, and I sat there as a young player, and our whole team was young at that particular time, but we had some seniors, guys who have been involved with the program for a long time that were not under Coach Swinney’s regime and just did not buy in.

“Some of those guys got up after the game and said, ‘That you guys will never win anything here. They are going to lie to you and tell you they are going to win ACC Championships. That is not going to happen.’ That was a true statement right there.

“It was almost that whole … we were so young we did not know what to believe so we just believed what Coach Swinney told us, if that makes sense. We bought into the culture. Coach Swinney said, ‘Look, you can let those guys have an impact on what they say and what they experienced, but that is not going to be this team right here.’

“That off-season was so huge and so important. I thought I had a decent spring practice that year throughout the whole spring, but Coach Morris told me one thing, he said, ‘Look, I thought your spring was piss poor and if you cannot find a way to get it done, I will find someone that will.’

“That is just kind of the staff they had. They lit a fire under you. They expected the best, even though we did not know what to expect from ourselves. We just continued to follow their lead and believed in the guys we had in that room.

"You have to believe internally before everyone believes externally. I think that is what you see when you see this staff, this team and you see the trend that Clemson is pointing upwards.”
Old 12-08-2017, 10:01 AM
Ring of Honor

Default Re: Tajh Boyd gives shocking comments about Swinney’s program in the early years

Makes you wonder who that was
Old 12-08-2017, 10:07 AM
Clemson Insider - 2010 March Madness Champ

Default Re: Tajh Boyd gives shocking comments about Swinney’s program in the early years

Old 12-08-2017, 10:26 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcu91 View Post
Makes you wonder who that was
Check the roster, see who was a Senior,or Junior leaving Early, correlate that with who has not been around and 3-4 names jump straight out at you.I'll also throw in fact that some on that team thought that their DC should have gotten the job.

Last edited by MRTTMT; 12-08-2017 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:36 AM
Two Deep

https://imgur.com/a/YmcmS

There's our roster for that year, all the upperclassmen. Like TMT said, I think we can all point fingers towards likely suspects. Lot of guys that aren't around the program anymore.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:43 AM
Ring of Honor

Ha! "What they say now!!!"
Old 12-08-2017, 10:46 AM
NFL Tiger

Wow!

...on what the upperclassman(men) said and what CCM said.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:02 AM
Walk On

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcraft07 View Post
https://imgur.com/a/YmcmS

There's our roster for that year, all the upperclassmen. Like TMT said, I think we can all point fingers towards likely suspects. Lot of guys that aren't around the program anymore.

Who do you think it is? There's a name highlighted is that a hint?
Old 12-08-2017, 11:10 AM
Two Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemson7024 View Post
Who do you think it is? There's a name highlighted is that a hint?
No no, i just had clicked his name before. Deandre McDaniel has been around the program (isn't he currently an assistant?)

I'd look at people like Sensabaugh/Harper...but what do I know. Just following breadcrumbs
Old 12-08-2017, 11:22 AM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: Tajh Boyd gives shocking comments about Swinney’s program in the early years

I would prefer not to guess names. Whoever it was has probably seen they were mistaken. The good news is that Tajh and other guys bought into what they were being taught. The key moving forward is to maintain that culture among the players in spite of the inevitable turnover in the coaching staff.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:04 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by melamb13 View Post
Ha! "What they say now!!!"

That they be wrong and are ALL IN. I believe Luke 15:11-32 is the way Dabo would handle.

All IN.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:55 PM
Tiger Starter

Location: Where the Ashley and the Cooper Rivers come together to form the Atlantic Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds View Post
That they be wrong and are ALL IN. I believe Luke 15:11-32 is the way Dabo would handle.

All IN.
I agree with you completely. That is how Dabo would handle them.

But on a side note, the true reprobate son in that story is the older son.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:20 PM
Travel Team

I see some names I recognize, but a number of them I don't even remember them. A couple like Harper and Sensabaugh I recognize, but they were not big contributors. So if it is people like that we understand why they were not successful and why we couldn't get it done. They were Bowden's boys. Dabo recruits everyone like they are important and will contribute in some way how ever small. He gives the Rudy's of the team some esteem and it shows. They are not supposed to contribute but if they give 110% they still sharpen the iron we do have and even some surprise us and become starters because they want it.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:53 AM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds View Post

All IN.
Agreed.