Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2013, 10:52 PM
NFL Tiger

Default Re: Live from Williams Brice

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawStudent View Post
I think Venables was adjusting. I think it was just better executed on the other side. That's the story of this game -- Execution.
It wasn't adjusted. Venables kept blasting the defensive tackles off the ball leaving the middle wide open on every Shaw run, and that's after SC's Oline showed no capacity to get a push on our front. WTH are you so desperate as a DC to get into the backfield for if the QB isn't even back there and when the opposing ground & pass game isn't hurting you? An adjustment to those 2nd half draws would've been to employ a 1-gap and hold with the defensive tackles so that the interior gaps are clogged up and so that the first wave of defenders are kept IN FRONT of Shaw.

Venables could've done to SC what they did as a whole to us and played a little more conservatively and made SC's offense beat us straight up... but no, he played press-man on the outside during the first half which allowed Shaw all sorts of daylight when escaping containment while our corner's backs were to the running QB, and in the second half Venables let Shaw use his gap penetration scheme against him as it repeatedly parted the middle of the D like the friggin' Red Sea.

It wasn't better execution either. SC's traditional run game was awful, and their passing game was nothing to write home about. This game fell on Shaw's feet. He was the difference, and that's on coaching and in-game adjustments or lack thereof.

Last edited by tigerphins; 11-30-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:56 PM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerphins View Post
It wasn't adjusted. He kept blasting the defensive tackles off the ball leaving the middle wide open on every Shaw run, and that's after SC's Oline showed no capacity to get a push on our front. WTH are you so desperate as a DC to get into the backfield for if the QB isn't even back there and when the opposing ground & pass game isn't hurting you? An adjustment to those 2nd half draws would've been to employ a 1-gap and hold with the defensive tackles so that the interior gaps are clogged up and so that the first wave of defenders are kept IN FRONT of Shaw.

Venables could've done to SC what they did as a whole to us and played a little more conservatively and made SC's offense beat us straight up... but no, he played press-man on the outside during the first half which allowed Shaw all sorts of daylight when escaping containment while our corner's backs were to the running QB, and in the second half Venables let Shaw use his gap penetration scheme against him as it repeatedly parted the middle of the D like the friggin' Red Sea.
He did adjust from the press man. I thought he should have gone zone all game long. I also think the DL was too aggressive. Were they told to vacate the gaps? If so, that's on Venables.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:58 PM
NFL Tiger

Default Re: Asking the right questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by GvilleTiger View Post
I saw huge gaps in the middle of the field before Shaw ever snapped the ball with everyone knowing he was running right up the gut. That isn't players in position to make plays.
thank you.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:58 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
He did adjust from the press man. I thought he should have gone zone all game long. I also think the DL was too aggressive. Were they told to vacate the gaps? If so, that's on Venables.
The opposite is also true.. Were they told to hold their gaps? If not, that is coaching.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:00 PM
NFL Tiger

Default Re: Asking the right questions

Quote:
I was not just talking about the defense. But, I do agree that the calls could have been better. I still think that execution was lacking on our side.
Execution was lacking heavily on their side as well outside of Shaw's feet.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:22 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
I agree about the coverage adjustment but I personally thought it took too long, and it could be argued based on last year's game that it should've been adjusted prior to this game.

As far as the gap stuff, it's not so much about being told to vacate the gaps as it is about Venables telling them to start holding the gaps rather than penetrate them. Just b/c someone is a 1 gap DT it doesn't mean they have to burst through it into the backfield every play. SC's Oline wasn't getting any push on our boys up front so there wasn't any reason to think we couldn't switch to a 1-gap and hold where the goal is to wall off the LOS to make it difficult for Shaw to find interior running lanes rather than the massive ones we left for him. The Seahawks are great at this. They put a stout DT between a center and a guard and rather than have him try to split them and penetrate into the backfield [like 1-gap DTs typically do] they have him hold his ground between the C & G so the three of them effectively form a wall there which is obviously difficult to run through.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:28 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GvilleTiger View Post
The opposite is also true.. Were they told to hold their gaps? If not, that is coaching.
Great point. You can tell they weren't told to hold their gaps b/c if that were true then any failed execution on their part would've entailed being blown backward off the ball while trying to hold their ground, which didn't happen. Instead, they were penetrating their gaps into the backfield b/c that's what they were coached/schemed to do. When a QB is constantly drawing against penetrating DTs, not only does that provide him huge lanes but it also puts blockers out in front of him to put hats on the linebackers at the second level b/c the first wave of defenders are schematically already in the backfield out of position.

If Venables switched to a 1-gap and hold, SC's interior linemen would've had to first worry about moving our DTs to create those holes for Shaw to run through, and considering they had a rough time trying to block for their running backs, they probably would've had a tough time trying to block out our DTs for Shaw as well if Venables gave our boys a fighting chance to do so.

I mean seriously, the first time that QB draw saw success you've gotta know the Ole Ball Sack would continue running it till it's stopped.

Last edited by tigerphins; 11-30-2013 at 11:35 PM.