Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2017, 06:11 PM
Owner, Publisher

Default The Insider Report

t is time for this week’s edition of The Insider Report.

We hope everyone had a great Christmas. TCI is now six strong in New Orleans to bring you the most complete coverage of the Sugar Bowl.

Zion Williamson Set to Shock the World?

Coach Brownell has his Tigers playing great so far this season and positioned to make a run towards the NCAA Tournament. His program may be the talk of college basketball soon.

The Clemson Insider has learned that the Clemson basketball program is currently Zion Williamson’s top choice to attend college. Through multiple sources, TCI was told that Williamson, his stepfather, Lee Anderson, and his mother all favor Clemson over North Carolina, which was his No. 2 choice.

Things have trended strongly in Clemson’s direction the past few weeks. North Carolina made a strong push to get Zion to sign in the recent signing period, but the family knew that Zion would be happier elsewhere. If the nation’s top prospect signed today it would be with the Tigers.

We have learned that Williamson’s mother did not want him to sign with North Carolina during the early signing period. She wanted him to do his due diligence and be sure that whatever school he decided to go to is the one he wants to go to and doesn’t feel pressured to go to. We can tell you that North Carolina scheduled a home-and-home series with Wofford as a way to entice Williamson to sign with the Tar Heels. And as we know, North Carolina lost to Wofford last week, and the two teams are supposed to play again next year.

The second signing period begins on April 11. Several college coaches in the state of South Carolina now expect Williamson to sign with Clemson. One source told us that it is widely believed among coaches in the industry that Williamson will go to Clemson.

As a little background, Williamson is extremely close to the Clemson basketball program. He’s very close to all the current players, and during the summer he spent many days playing pickup basketball with them. Clemson is the place Zion feels the most comfortable. So one can understand why the Tigers have an advantage over other schools for his services.

Another source told us that Clemson is in the lead and they wouldn’t be surprised to see him commit to Clemson before the next signing period begins on April 11. “However, as you know in recruiting, it’s a long process and things can change.” But right now, Clemson seems to have a good lead.

Williamson is expected to be out until January as he recovers from a foot injury. The Spartanburg Day wing suffered a deep bruise in his foot against Hammond on Nov. 21 and was in a walking boot for a while. A five-star and the nation’s No. 2 prospect, Williamson averaged 36.8 points, 13 rebounds, 3.2 assists, 3.0 steals and 2.5 blocks per game as a junior last season.

North Carolina and the other schools will continue to be in hot pursuit but right now it looks like Clemson landing their top recruit ever in basketball is on the horizon.

Will Wilkins Head to NFL?

We have the latest on where Christian Wilkins stands with his decision on whether to leave for the NFL or return for one more championship run with the Tigers. We have spoken with a couple of sources that are aware of where things stand with Wilkins.

Believe it or not a few weeks ago Wilkins was actually giving consideration to returning for another season at Clemson. At that time he did not feel like he had played as well as he can this season and might benefit from coming back. That was before he had a strong game in the ACC Championship game. Wilkins will look at how he finishes in the playoff and the grades that come back from the NFL.

Last week during media day for the Sugar Bowl, Wilkins indicated that he wasn’t sure of his future and that he was only focused on the Sugar Bowl at that time. “I’m still wide open and I don’t know what I’m going to do as far as next year,” Wilkins said. “I’m focused on the College Football Playoff and trying to make the most of my experience at Clemson.”

However, a source that is very close to Christian told TCI that he does not plan to return. Christian is a unique individual so we will have to see if he changes his mind over the next few weeks before he has to declare. If he had to declare today he would be heading to the NFL.

Wilkins, who graduated last week and is the first scholarship student-athlete in Clemson athletic history to graduate in two and a half years, is currently projected as a first-round pick -- somewhere in the top 20 according to ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay.

Wilkins, a two-time All-ACC lineman, has amassed 133 career tackles, 26 tackles for loss and 10 sacks in his illustrious career.

Please do not copy or paste this information to any other media outlets. As you know TCI is Free so if you know someone that wants the information simply send them to The Rock.

Last edited by Robert Thorne MacRae; 12-26-2017 at 10:55 PM.
Old 12-26-2017, 06:34 PM
Two Deep

Default Re: The Insider Report

Wow and wow and wow! That would be amazing to grab Zion!
Old 12-26-2017, 07:32 PM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: The Insider Report

It would be even more "Wow" if Christian Wilkins decided to stay for a three-peat!
Old 12-26-2017, 07:33 PM
Two Deep

He would by far be the highest rated basketball recruit ever correct?

Who currently holds that title?
Old 12-26-2017, 08:10 PM
Travel Team

Sharon Wright? Clarke Bynum? Wayne Buckingham? Maybe Skip Wise. I know that we were close with Pete Maravich, but yeah, I don't think any of the above were anywhere close to where ZW is ranked..
Old 12-26-2017, 09:57 PM
NFL Tiger

How highly rated was Milton Jennings? Wasn’t he a McDonalds All-American?
Old 12-26-2017, 10:04 PM
Travel Team

My guess is Tree, or Skip, or Milton. My guess is backwards order as recruiting
coverage has gamed steam wince the 70's.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:08 PM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUTiger1 View Post
My guess is Tree, or Skip, or Milton. My guess is backwards order as recruiting
coverage has gamed steam wince the 70's.
Yes, I thought Tree Rollins was the No. 1 recruit in the nation when he was recruited to Clemson.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:13 PM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville Orange View Post
Sharon Wright? Clarke Bynum? Wayne Buckingham? Maybe Skip Wise. I know that we were close with Pete Maravich, but yeah, I don't think any of the above were anywhere close to where ZW is ranked..
I know that Clarke Bynum, Sharone Wright, and Milton Jennings were McDonald’s All-Americans and I believe they might be our only ones. None were anywhere close to the level of Zion Williamson. He would be our best basketball recruit ever, by far.

Great job by Brownell and staff for having us in this position with Zion. I hope we sign him!
Old 12-27-2017, 03:40 AM
NFL Tiger

"Wilkins, who graduated last week and is the first scholarship student-athlete in Clemson athletic history to graduate in two and a half years"

Didn't DW4 and Scott graduate in 2 and 1/2?

Great insider, thanks.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:26 AM
Scholarship Player

don't forget ricky jones was a big time recruit too
Old 12-27-2017, 08:12 AM
Clemson Insider - 2010 March Madness Champ

Go get em Brad and company. This would be program changing for sure.

As far as highest rated recruits, I agree that Rollins and Wise would be on par with Willamson. Holy cow, this would be so huge!
Old 12-27-2017, 10:38 AM
MR Perfidity - Clemson Insider

I don't recall where Wise was rated as a prospect but his impact on our program in his freshman year was a thing of beauty. What a tragedy to possess that level of talent and waste it on drugs.
Old 12-27-2017, 03:59 PM
Travel Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds View Post
"Wilkins, who graduated last week and is the first scholarship student-athlete in Clemson athletic history to graduate in two and a half years"

Didn't DW4 and Scott graduate in 2 and 1/2?

Great insider, thanks.
They were early enrollees - January. So it took them 3 years (still remarkable!).
Old 12-27-2017, 06:20 PM
NFL Tiger

Based on the hours Christian probably got from his advanced placement exams in prep school, he might have only needed 3 years of classes.

To cram that into 5 semesters though, that is remarkable
Old 12-27-2017, 07:27 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelongstroke View Post
Based on the hours Christian probably got from his advanced placement exams in prep school, he might have only needed 3 years of classes.

To cram that into 5 semesters though, that is remarkable
I hadn't thought about the advance placement classes from high school. My daughter had girls coming in as 2nd semester Sophomores from day one at college.
--Daughters, they can climb trees, fish, and shoot guns just as good as any boy, sometimes better. Plus they can have the boy clean the fish, buy the bullets when they go out, and then the Father gets to eat. Daughters are great. --
Old 12-27-2017, 08:00 PM
Two Deep

I'm a little surprised this hasn't come up. Did Zion not sign early so he could see what happens with Brownells future? I mean seriously....what if he signs before we even enter ACC play and we lay an egg and Brownell gets canned. Maybe this is too far reaching but it's what I would do if I were Zion. If Brownell lays an egg he could always bolt for a top tier program in late spring. If we reach the dance this year. Brownell gets an extension and he probably signs.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:12 PM
Owner, Publisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcidtiger View Post
I'm a little surprised this hasn't come up. Did Zion not sign early so he could see what happens with Brownells future? I mean seriously....what if he signs before we even enter ACC play and we lay an egg and Brownell gets canned. Maybe this is too far reaching but it's what I would do if I were Zion. If Brownell lays an egg he could always bolt for a top tier program in late spring. If we reach the dance this year. Brownell gets an extension and he probably signs.
Nope, had nothing to do with it. Brownell isn't going anywhere right now, especially with Zion likely heading to Tigertown.