Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2019, 12:32 PM
Tiger Starter

Default If Deshaun would have came back......

........would this have been the Tigers 3rd straight National Title? I have to believe is Watson came back they would have won it last year. Even though he didn't and it's just wishful thinking I do believe that is how close Clemson was to being champions for the 3rd straight year.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:35 PM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: If Deshaun would have came back......

I was wondering that same thing.

The answer is Yes!
Old 01-11-2019, 12:52 PM
Two Deep

Default Re: If Deshaun would have came back......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerAidan View Post
........would this have been the Tigers 3rd straight National Title? I have to believe is Watson came back they would have won it last year. Even though he didn't and it's just wishful thinking I do believe that is how close Clemson was to being champions for the 3rd straight year.
Great point. Been in the game for sure.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:07 PM
NFL Tiger

We probably would've won last year. But, would the power rangers have returned this year after winning 2 in a row? I think Cle and Wilkins would've been gone at least. Big Dex had another year before he could go, though, and maybe Bryant (Austin, that is) would've stayed. We could've still won this year with the talent we have, even without Cle & Wilkins, but I think their leadership, especially Wilkins, pushed this team forward all year long and with TL being a freshman, he leaned on that leadership. So, I think we probably make it back to the Natty this year, but I'm not sure we win it... at least not as easily. Also, keep in mind to win 2 years in a row means we would've beat Bama in the 1st round and they woulda came hungry this year, like we did.

One more thing to note... DW4 tore his ACL in Houston last year. He could've done that at Clemson just as easily. We don't win last year without him as the QB and that was proven.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:15 PM
Two Deep

Possibly, but I'm not sure he could have done it with the WR group we had last year. While Cain and McCloud were good, I just don't think they were on the level of Ross, Higgins, and Rogers. I felt when they left early that it quite possibly be addition by subtraction and still feel that way. Plus the running game was so much by committee last year and just finding itself. And we still haven't had the TE play like we had with Leggett. Maybe better blocking but missing the pass threat since he left.
The team last year was good without doubt. They won the conference and made the playoffs, but even if Watson had been there, I doubt that he could have remedied that teams short comings. Maybe slightly more competitive with Bama but still not win that match last year as much as I hate to say.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:23 PM
TCI Staff

Hard to argue with that. Tigers weren't effective in the downfield passing game against Bama with Bryant last year, so Deshaun's arm would have certainly made a huge difference. But that wouldn't have solved the fact they got dominated up front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerAidan View Post