Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2013, 08:52 PM
Tiger Starter

Default Re: Howard's Rock vandalized

12 days ago and we are just hearing about this. There are some trashy people out there.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:06 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheerWine View Post
It's a rock!
And the perpetrator is a sh**. You tell me which one is worth more
Old 06-12-2013, 09:07 PM
Ring of Honor

Man this pisses me off. I went over to USCe board to see what they are saying and all I can say is wow, what a classless group of people. They say it's an eye for an eye and it's retaliation for their beloved cockabooses being vandaled. Pathetic.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:20 PM
Scholarship Player

Still think we shouldn't have a live tiger?
Old 06-12-2013, 09:47 PM
Ring of Honor

Is this a felony offense? I'm pissed and want someone to pay to the fullest extent of the law.
They took a piece of the rock, but will never get the soul that goes with it! It adds to the history and legacy of Clemson in a strange way. In my opinion. Like my Uncle used to say "there are idiots everywhere!"
Old 06-12-2013, 10:11 PM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by melamb13 View Post
Is this a felony offense? I'm pissed and want someone to pay to the fullest extent of the law.
They took a piece of the rock, but will never get the soul that goes with it! It adds to the history and legacy of Clemson in a strange way. In my opinion. Like my Uncle used to say "there are idiots everywhere!"
Absolutely. Off the top of my head this can be categorized as first degree burglary, a class C felony in SC and carrying up to 20 years in prison. There are a myriad of other "lessor" felony charges that could also be levied.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:47 PM
Travel Team

I bet a dirtpecker did it, but what if it was a leghumper? I bet Mark Richt wasn't happy to hear about this.

The rage that should be in every player touching the scarred and uphill side of our Rock compared with the smooth side touched tens of thousands of times defending Death Valley against, well it doesn't freakin' matter who we play, but the first guy is gonna pay!

And Rad better replace plexiglass with bullet-proof glass, a full-time camera, and break sensors. We'll never hide our rock like the tarholes do their ram (never got that connection, anyway. WTF?), but, by God, we'll protect it while still letting it be accessible to all who keep the faith.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:33 PM
Scholarship Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbink25 View Post
Absolutely. Off the top of my head this can be categorized as first degree burglary, a class C felony in SC and carrying up to 20 years in prison. There are a myriad of other "lessor" felony charges that could also be levied.
Prosecutor here... this would not be classified as a burglary, and definitely not 1st degree. 1st degree burglary requires breaking into a dwelling (i.e., where people sleep on a regular basis, and keep their personal belongings, where they live...) and an elevating factor, including but not limited to at night, weapons involved, injuries to a non participant in the crime, etc.

The best shot in burglary realm would be a burg. 3rd or a burg 2nd violent if it could be shown to be at night time. but that being said, there is a requirement that it be a building, which by it's definition means 4 walls and a roof. While Death valley is the "home" of the Clemson Tigers and their fans, I doubt that would qualify in a court of law.

The charges this seems closer to is probably some type of malicious injury to real property over a certain value, or Grand Larceny (for the taking of the portion of the rock that was removed), over a certain value. It would also likely have trespassing charges, which would be at the magistrate level. A lot of this will depend on what dollar value they place on the rock itself, which by it's inherent nature, is invaluable.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:35 PM
Scholarship Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbink25 View Post
also, for the record, although it is immaterial for this discussion, burglary 1st in SC carries 15 years to Life in Prison, depending on the nature of the crime. Buglary 2nd violent is 0 - 20 (I think... going off the top of my head).
Old 06-12-2013, 11:50 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUTiger1 View Post
I
And Rad better replace plexiglass with bullet-proof glass, a full-time camera, and break sensors. We'll never hide our rock like the tarholes do their ram (never got that connection, anyway. WTF?), but, by God, we'll protect it while still letting it be accessible to all who keep the faith.
Nah. Just let the ROTC folks fix bayonets and issue them clips with live ammo. Better than beating on a 55 gallon drum.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:12 AM
Tiger Starter

Fiddler, my rationale was that whatever was used to break the rock could be considered a "deadly weapon" and that while a stadium is not a dwelling in the traditional sense, it could certainly be argued that it houses individuals work space. As a prosecutor, you know that creativity can be used in charging a defendant as well as understanding the principle of "charge high" and work down, particularly in a case like this.