Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2014, 10:42 AM
TCI Staff

Default Chad Morris update (11:42 am)

Here is more on what we know about Clemson offensive coordinator Chad Morris and the Vanderbilt job.

From what we are hearing, Morris is very interested in the job opening at Vanderbilt. As we told you earlier this morning he is a candidate and now we have confirmation that he is interested in the job according to multiple sources.

As you know Morris is at the Football Coaches Association of America national football convention in Indianapolis. Vanderbilt athletic director David Williams is also in Indianapolis for the convention and is apparently shopping for a new head coach to replace James Franklin who left last week for the Penn State job.

Reports are that Williams has requested to interview Stanford DC Derek Mason. From what we can gather Morris is also on Williams’ short list as is Michigan State DC Pat Narduzzi.

As for Morris’ interest, please understand he would take the job if he is indeed offered it. From what we have learned in making calls this morning is that Morris was extremely upset when he did not get the opportunity to get the Louisville job. To us, that shows he is starting to understand that he is getting away from wanting the big-name job, which he initially has always been about, and is understanding he may have to start at a school like Vandy and prove his worth as a head coach before moving on to bigger things.

We will be working this story all day and we will keep you posted as new developments come up.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:56 AM
Scholarship Player

Default Re: Chad Morris update (11:42 am)

Two things strike me as odd regarding him being "interested" in this opening:

1. He just got the QB that is cookie cut for his offence as well as some extremely high rated WR. Also we’ll have a nice stable of RB next year and after. Just don’t see how you give that up as quickly as he is trying to.

2. Has he looked at how difficult it will be to recruit the athletes he needs to run his offence to perfection at Vandy? They don’t have the reputation or the location to recruit on the level as Clemson or many other potential openings in the coming years.

Could he be jumping at anything that opens up right now just to get his name out? I know he is a highly rated assistant but it strikes me as odd that he is interested in each and every opening this off-season.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:03 AM
Travel Team

I appreciate Coach Morris and what he has done for Clemson. I would say I hope he stays around for awhile but we all know that will not be the case so there is no use in hoping. I honestly do believe in Clemson's best interest that it maybe best if he takes the Vandy job if offered. Clemson will be fine with or without Morris and I wish him nothing but the best.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:03 AM
NFL Tiger

Hate to be a downer, but if Chad is seemingly interested in every job that you say he is(I question that sometimes), it's time to hit the door. If your GF was "interested" in every single prick that asked her out, you'd show her the door. That said, I doubt that Chad goes anywhere this year and if what this site is reporting every time a job comes open is correct, he'll be in Bud Foster territory before long. Bud was a hot name a few years ago, he begged for every job available and now no longer gets interviewed.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:07 AM
NFL Tiger

I had much rather he go to Vandy than Louisville. We would not have to play him, and there he can beat the coots every year.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:13 AM
NFL Tiger

At this point, seems he's "very interested" in everything that comes available. Seems like he's in an ideal situation to me, where he could sit and wait for an awesome opportunity, but looks like he just wants ANY opportunity. As another poster said, if he was walking the dog on FSU and SCar every year, I could see him thinking he's accomplished all he can at OC and is ready for the next challenge, but that hasn't happened. I'm concerned with this becoming a distraction to the team and recruits as well. Hopefully Dabo's putting some feelers out as well, cause it's obvious this guy ain't gonna be around long.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:17 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRTTMT View Post
Hate to be a downer, but if Chad is seemingly interested in every job that you say he is(I question that sometimes), it's time to hit the door. If your GF was "interested" in every single prick that asked her out, you'd show her the door. That said, I doubt that Chad goes anywhere this year and if what this site is reporting every time a job comes open is correct, he'll be in Bud Foster territory before long. Bud was a hot name a few years ago, he begged for every job available and now no longer gets interviewed.
Not a very good analogy in my opinion. I want every one of our coordinators to be in demand for HC jobs all the time. That means we are successful.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:20 AM
NFL Tiger

Gville, I think the point MRT is making is that it's good if THEY are interested in HIM, It's bad if HE is interested in THEM.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:25 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GvilleTiger View Post
Not a very good analogy in my opinion. I want every one of our coordinators to be in demand for HC jobs all the time. That means we are successful.
In demand and interested in almost every job available are 2 different things. At this point, he's a detriment to recruiting every year because it's reading more that he's interested in the job more than they are interested in interviewing him.

Didn't we read here the other day how he supposedly took his name out of consideration for the UofL job ? And now he's disappointed that he did n't get it. Some thing's are not adding up.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:26 AM
Two Deep

Don't you think most of the best coordinators want to be a HC? This is going to happen eventually and guess what it will happen again if the next coordinator is as successful.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:26 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllOrange67 View Post
Gville, I think the point MRT is making is that it's good if THEY are interested in HIM, It's bad if HE is interested in THEM.
Maybe so, but what I take from these threads is that it has been a long time since we have had coordinators that were really worth a crap because everyone is freaking out that they are looking to become head coaches.

The best thing in the world is for our program to become a launching pad for head coaches, it will assure we always get top candidates when we need to make a hire.

As for Chad, I can't believe people are acting like he is running around interviewing for the Wyoming job or something. Louisville will have the highest athletic budget of any school in the ACC when they join. Vandy pays 50% more than Dabo is making.

When you hire an OC, you know he is going to leave. The worst thing that can happen is to hire one that stays until the HC is fired. See Rob Spence.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:27 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
In demand and interested in almost every job available are 2 different things. At this point, he's a detriment to recruiting every year because it's reading more that he's interested in the job more than they are interested in interviewing him.

Didn't we read here the other day how he supposedly took his name out of consideration for the UofL job ? And now he's disappointed that he did n't get it. Some thing's are not adding up.
Taking your name out of consideration is a euphemism for they hired someone else and told me no. The AD's let the coaches they interview do that to save face.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:31 AM
Two Deep

Of course he's going to be interested in any big HC jobs that open up. His goal is to be a HC and if he's not pursuing that then he's settling for something less than his dream job. Cant fault him for that.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:33 AM
Owner, Publisher

Quote:
No reason to question our info. It's 100 percent accurate.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:35 AM
Tiger Starter

It seems like Chad is getting impatient with his desire to be a head coach, to the point that he is willing to go somewhere like Vanderbilt to get an opportunity. I agree with the points made about him having hand-picked QBs, and a lot of other offensive talent, at Clemson. But I don't think that excites him like being a head coach does.

At least we have signed the great early enrollees, so there is no doubt that they are Tigers (e.g., DeShaun Watson, Artavis Scott, Demarre Kitt, etc.). If Morris goes to Vanderbilt, hopefully we can hang onto the committed recruits who are set to sign next month. Promoting Jeff Scott to OC, which I am absolutely in support of, would probably help a lot. I'm guessing Chad would make Jeff Scott his OC if Dabo doesn't promote him at Clemson.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:45 AM
NFL Tiger

I'm less concerned with what Chad Morris does than how Clemson responds. Concerned is a strong word actually, because I can't do anything one way or the other.

I am about 99% sure Dabo has a plan A, B and C if/when Morris leaves on who he wants to replace him and how he will handle recruits. Our offense isn't exactly a novelty in college football, and there are lots of teams and coordinators that know how it's done. Promoting Jeff Scott seems to be the next move, and there's no doubt in my mind that he could save the recruiting class because it seems like Scott and Swinney could sell space heaters to an igloo community.
Travel Team

Robert,
If Coach Morris does leave, it has been speculated that Jeff Scott would become the next OC but my questions is, who becomes the next quarterback coach in your opinion or who do you think would be potential candidates? Would you foresee any of our current staff following Coach Morris as well?
Travel Team

I hope CCM gets every opportunity he deserves. He's done so much for us, he deserves his shot a whatever school he would like.

Now, that being said, Dabo will make another great hire and we will not miss a beat. Jeff Scott could be the guy, we could look at a big time QB coach.

I would personally make TIM MONTGOMERY from Baylor tell me no first, but last time I checked, Clemson University Athletics isn't paying me the $M's that Dabo is making either.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:49 AM
Owner, Publisher

The Chad Morris move will happen at some point, whether it is now with Vanderbilt or next year with another job. Personally I hope he stays another year of course.

What we don't know right now in our information is what order the candidate list is on Vanderbilt's end. Hopefully they will have another candidate that ends up being "the guy".

This situation is no different than anyone that is searching for a job in my opinion. As you interview a number of times and don't get the job your perspective is likely to change on what jobs you might take.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:51 AM
Owner, Publisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacman15 View Post
Robert,
If Coach Morris does leave, it has been speculated that Jeff Scott would become the next OC but my questions is, who becomes the next quarterback coach in your opinion or who do you think would be potential candidates? Would you foresee any of our current staff following Coach Morris as well?
It's not speculation on Scott unless something has changed from last year. Last year we broke the news that Jeff would be the guy if Morris left then.

I do see Morris likely taking some others with him when he does leave at some point.