Clemson Insider Logo



Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 01-14-2014, 11:54 AM
GvilleTiger GvilleTiger is offline
NFL Tiger
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,321
Default Re: Chad Morris update (11:42 am)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacman15 View Post
Robert,
If Coach Morris does leave, it has been speculated that Jeff Scott would become the next OC but my questions is, who becomes the next quarterback coach in your opinion or who do you think would be potential candidates? Would you foresee any of our current staff following Coach Morris as well?
That is a good question worth discussing. I have heard rumblings that Bentley would leave Byrnes to be our QB coach. I don't buy it since he has a son that will be a Sophomore at Byrnes next year.

I like Jeff, but I am wary of hiring a guy that has just learned the playbook and may not be the innovator. Chad is 100% bought in to the offense and understands it and has a plan for continuing to develop it. Jeff may have all that as well, but it is unproven as of right now.

If we lose a $1.3 million dollar OC and promote from within, there will be HUGE pressure on Jeff Scott. Plus it hurts recruiting to take him off the road. Of course the flip side is that Chad could easily take him with him and make him his OC. And that might happen even if we offered to make Jeff our OC. Jeff may feel like he needs to get experience at another school at some point.

I certainly trust Dabo to make the right hire, though by my count he is 50% on coordinator hires. Hard to blame him with Steele though since our admin wouldn't pony up to hire Ellis Johnson like he wanted, so I guess I would say he is 75%. Whoever comes in will have to deal with comparisons to Morris, but I think Jeff Scott would have more pressure than an outsider.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-14-2014, 11:56 AM
Tigeroid Tigeroid is offline
Tiger Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Anderson, SC
Posts: 1,445
Default Re: Chad Morris update (11:42 am)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briggs View Post
I appreciate Coach Morris and what he has done for Clemson. I would say I hope he stays around for awhile but we all know that will not be the case so there is no use in hoping. I honestly do believe in Clemson's best interest that it maybe best if he takes the Vandy job if offered. Clemson will be fine with or without Morris and I wish him nothing but the best.
this
__________________
"To hell with the best team winning - I want us to win!" The Head - Frank Howard
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-14-2014, 11:56 AM
RockyMountainHigh RockyMountainHigh is offline
Tiger Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: cootlumbia
Posts: 2,291
Default Re: Chad Morris update (11:42 am)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger68 View Post
I had much rather he go to Vandy than Louisville. We would not have to play him, and there he can beat the coots every year.
Like he does now?
__________________
Go Tigers!! Damn a coot!

Fire Jack Leggett and Dan Pepicelli.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-14-2014, 11:59 AM
Pacman15 Pacman15 is offline
Travel Team
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Inman, SC
Posts: 223
Default Re: Chad Morris update (11:42 am)

Who would be the candidates for the quarterback coach when Jeff Scott takes over?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-14-2014, 12:00 PM
Robert Thorne MacRae's Avatar
Robert Thorne MacRae Robert Thorne MacRae is online now
Owner, Publisher
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 101,928
Default Re: Chad Morris update (11:42 am)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacman15 View Post
Who would be the candidates for the quarterback coach when Jeff Scott takes over?
I have a few ideas, but would just be speculation. We'll get into that if needed at the right time
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-14-2014, 12:06 PM
RockyMountainHigh RockyMountainHigh is offline
Tiger Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: cootlumbia
Posts: 2,291
Default Re: Chad Morris update (11:42 am)

I hear he is in Clemson right now.
__________________
Go Tigers!! Damn a coot!

Fire Jack Leggett and Dan Pepicelli.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-14-2014, 12:14 PM
LawStudent LawStudent is offline
Tiger Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Johns Island
Posts: 1,788
Default Re: Chad Morris update (11:42 am)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GvilleTiger View Post
That is a good question worth discussing. I have heard rumblings that Bentley would leave Byrnes to be our QB coach. I don't buy it since he has a son that will be a Sophomore at Byrnes next year.

I like Jeff, but I am wary of hiring a guy that has just learned the playbook and may not be the innovator. Chad is 100% bought in to the offense and understands it and has a plan for continuing to develop it. Jeff may have all that as well, but it is unproven as of right now.

If we lose a $1.3 million dollar OC and promote from within, there will be HUGE pressure on Jeff Scott. Plus it hurts recruiting to take him off the road. Of course the flip side is that Chad could easily take him with him and make him his OC. And that might happen even if we offered to make Jeff our OC. Jeff may feel like he needs to get experience at another school at some point.

I certainly trust Dabo to make the right hire, though by my count he is 50% on coordinator hires. Hard to blame him with Steele though since our admin wouldn't pony up to hire Ellis Johnson like he wanted, so I guess I would say he is 75%. Whoever comes in will have to deal with comparisons to Morris, but I think Jeff Scott would have more pressure than an outsider.
Chad learned the offense from Malzahn in a couple visits. Jeff Scott has been with Morris for three years. Before that he a head coach at Blythewood that ran a similar offense. While it seems that this offense is unique, it is anything but. Countless schools across the country are using it.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-14-2014, 12:24 PM
CheerWine CheerWine is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 126
Default Re: Chad Morris update (11:42 am)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMountainHigh View Post
I hear he is in Clemson right now.
Yeah, I heard that too.

What a farce.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-14-2014, 12:28 PM
Taz089 Taz089 is offline
NFL Tiger
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mt.Pleasant, SC
Posts: 4,609
Default Re: Chad Morris update (11:42 am)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawStudent View Post
Chad learned the offense from Malzahn in a couple visits. Jeff Scott has been with Morris for three years. Before that he a head coach at Blythewood that ran a similar offense. While it seems that this offense is unique, it is anything but. Countless schools across the country are using it.
This!
My vote for quarterback coach would be George Whitfield Jr!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-14-2014, 12:29 PM
sts2206 sts2206 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 122
Default Re: Chad Morris update (11:42 am)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMountainHigh View Post
I hear he is in Clemson right now.
Heard the same.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 01-14-2014, 12:31 PM
Taz089 Taz089 is offline
NFL Tiger
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mt.Pleasant, SC
Posts: 4,609
Default Re: Chad Morris update (11:42 am)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheerWine View Post
Yeah, I heard that too.

What a farce.
What is? Did I miss something?
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-14-2014, 12:31 PM
mcraft07 mcraft07 is offline
Two Deep
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Anderson, SC
Posts: 781
Default Re: Chad Morris update (11:42 am)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz089 View Post
This!
My vote for quarterback coach would be George Whitfield Jr!
That'd be awesome but he makes a lot of money independently without having to be tied down to one area. Not sure being a QB coach at a school is even something that interests him
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-14-2014, 12:31 PM
TigerNE's Avatar
TigerNE TigerNE is offline
Ring of Honor
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Northeast
Posts: 12,213
Default Re: Chad Morris update (11:42 am)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacman15 View Post
Who would be the candidates for the quarterback coach when Jeff Scott takes over?
That to me is the only concern with a Morris departure. Even though Stoudt has over 70 snaps this season and is mature in both age and demeanor, it still puts a lot of pressure on a new coach to get us ready for this season.

But given the talent we have right now, I can see the QB coach position being attractive to outside coaches with a good history.

It's a position to watch closely for sure.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-14-2014, 12:34 PM
TigertownJ TigertownJ is online now
NFL Tiger
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,422
Default Re: Chad Morris update (11:42 am)

I'm not just saying this because I want him to stay, but I hope Vandy is not the head job he ends up with. I think next year will be a bigger year as far as coaching moves/fires and the job selection could be much bigger and better. Vandy is a tough job.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-14-2014, 12:36 PM
TigerNE's Avatar
TigerNE TigerNE is offline
Ring of Honor
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Northeast
Posts: 12,213
Default Re: Chad Morris update (11:42 am)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcraft07 View Post
That'd be awesome but he makes a lot of money independently without having to be tied down to one area. Not sure being a QB coach at a school is even something that interests him
I doubt it interests him. Right now he can work with multiple QBs and push them to fame. Without worrying about wins or losses.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-14-2014, 12:43 PM
tiger68's Avatar
tiger68 tiger68 is online now
NFL Tiger
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,602
Default Re: Chad Morris update (11:42 am)

There seems to be a lot hoping for Chad to stay, which I am one of. Also, it appears that if he gets the offer he will go.

This raises an interesting question: if he does not get the offer, does he start to appear less qualified, and does it lessen his image in the eyes Clemson fans?
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-14-2014, 12:49 PM
Taz089 Taz089 is offline
NFL Tiger
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mt.Pleasant, SC
Posts: 4,609
Default Re: Chad Morris update (11:42 am)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcraft07 View Post
That'd be awesome but he makes a lot of money independently without having to be tied down to one area. Not sure being a QB coach at a school is even something that interests him
One can dream can't he? Could you imagine the meltdown that would happen if we did get someone of that caliber?
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-14-2014, 12:50 PM
TigerNE's Avatar
TigerNE TigerNE is offline
Ring of Honor
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Northeast
Posts: 12,213
Default Re: Chad Morris update (11:42 am)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger68 View Post
This raises an interesting question: if he does not get the offer, does he start to appear less qualified, and does it lessen his image in the eyes Clemson fans?
Some fans are already peeved because he interviews so much. Not me, but others. So that "image" is already tarnished.

Even if he gets passed over, if our offense comes out guns a blazin' this season, and especially if we have some great QB performances, his stock only rises in the coaching world. (Notice I used the plural about performances....my gut says we'll see more than 1 QB in action throughout the season.)
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-14-2014, 01:05 PM
Gvegastiger49's Avatar
Gvegastiger49 Gvegastiger49 is offline
Tiger Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,283
Default Re: Chad Morris update (11:42 am)

Vandy is more likely to kill your career then to make it. I hope Chad waits for a better job.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-14-2014, 01:09 PM
BBCAW1995 BBCAW1995 is offline
Scholarship Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Near parties
Posts: 25
Default Re: Chad Morris update (11:42 am)

I am not sold on Jeff Scott being our OC. I hope Dabo at least considers other options.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Clemson Tigers 2018 CFP National Champs Clemson Tigers gear at Fanatics.com



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52 AM.

Partner with USA TODAY Sports Media Group

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.