Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2014, 11:54 AM
NFL Tiger

Default Re: Chad Morris update (11:42 am)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacman15 View Post
Robert,
If Coach Morris does leave, it has been speculated that Jeff Scott would become the next OC but my questions is, who becomes the next quarterback coach in your opinion or who do you think would be potential candidates? Would you foresee any of our current staff following Coach Morris as well?
That is a good question worth discussing. I have heard rumblings that Bentley would leave Byrnes to be our QB coach. I don't buy it since he has a son that will be a Sophomore at Byrnes next year.

I like Jeff, but I am wary of hiring a guy that has just learned the playbook and may not be the innovator. Chad is 100% bought in to the offense and understands it and has a plan for continuing to develop it. Jeff may have all that as well, but it is unproven as of right now.

If we lose a $1.3 million dollar OC and promote from within, there will be HUGE pressure on Jeff Scott. Plus it hurts recruiting to take him off the road. Of course the flip side is that Chad could easily take him with him and make him his OC. And that might happen even if we offered to make Jeff our OC. Jeff may feel like he needs to get experience at another school at some point.

I certainly trust Dabo to make the right hire, though by my count he is 50% on coordinator hires. Hard to blame him with Steele though since our admin wouldn't pony up to hire Ellis Johnson like he wanted, so I guess I would say he is 75%. Whoever comes in will have to deal with comparisons to Morris, but I think Jeff Scott would have more pressure than an outsider.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:56 AM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briggs View Post
I appreciate Coach Morris and what he has done for Clemson. I would say I hope he stays around for awhile but we all know that will not be the case so there is no use in hoping. I honestly do believe in Clemson's best interest that it maybe best if he takes the Vandy job if offered. Clemson will be fine with or without Morris and I wish him nothing but the best.
this
Old 01-14-2014, 11:56 AM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger68 View Post
I had much rather he go to Vandy than Louisville. We would not have to play him, and there he can beat the coots every year.
Like he does now?

Fire Jack Leggett and Dan Pepicelli.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:59 AM
Travel Team

Who would be the candidates for the quarterback coach when Jeff Scott takes over?
Old 01-14-2014, 12:00 PM
Owner, Publisher

Quote:
Who would be the candidates for the quarterback coach when Jeff Scott takes over?
I have a few ideas, but would just be speculation. We'll get into that if needed at the right time
Old 01-14-2014, 12:06 PM
Tiger Starter

I hear he is in Clemson right now.

Fire Jack Leggett and Dan Pepicelli.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:14 PM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GvilleTiger View Post
That is a good question worth discussing. I have heard rumblings that Bentley would leave Byrnes to be our QB coach. I don't buy it since he has a son that will be a Sophomore at Byrnes next year.

I like Jeff, but I am wary of hiring a guy that has just learned the playbook and may not be the innovator. Chad is 100% bought in to the offense and understands it and has a plan for continuing to develop it. Jeff may have all that as well, but it is unproven as of right now.

If we lose a $1.3 million dollar OC and promote from within, there will be HUGE pressure on Jeff Scott. Plus it hurts recruiting to take him off the road. Of course the flip side is that Chad could easily take him with him and make him his OC. And that might happen even if we offered to make Jeff our OC. Jeff may feel like he needs to get experience at another school at some point.

I certainly trust Dabo to make the right hire, though by my count he is 50% on coordinator hires. Hard to blame him with Steele though since our admin wouldn't pony up to hire Ellis Johnson like he wanted, so I guess I would say he is 75%. Whoever comes in will have to deal with comparisons to Morris, but I think Jeff Scott would have more pressure than an outsider.
Chad learned the offense from Malzahn in a couple visits. Jeff Scott has been with Morris for three years. Before that he a head coach at Blythewood that ran a similar offense. While it seems that this offense is unique, it is anything but. Countless schools across the country are using it.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMountainHigh View Post
Yeah, I heard that too.

What a farce.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:28 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawStudent View Post
Chad learned the offense from Malzahn in a couple visits. Jeff Scott has been with Morris for three years. Before that he a head coach at Blythewood that ran a similar offense. While it seems that this offense is unique, it is anything but. Countless schools across the country are using it.
This!
My vote for quarterback coach would be George Whitfield Jr!
Old 01-14-2014, 12:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMountainHigh View Post
Heard the same.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:31 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheerWine View Post
Yeah, I heard that too.

What a farce.
What is? Did I miss something?
Two Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz089 View Post
This!
My vote for quarterback coach would be George Whitfield Jr!
That'd be awesome but he makes a lot of money independently without having to be tied down to one area. Not sure being a QB coach at a school is even something that interests him
Ring of Honor

Quote:
That to me is the only concern with a Morris departure. Even though Stoudt has over 70 snaps this season and is mature in both age and demeanor, it still puts a lot of pressure on a new coach to get us ready for this season.

But given the talent we have right now, I can see the QB coach position being attractive to outside coaches with a good history.

It's a position to watch closely for sure.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:34 PM
NFL Tiger

I'm not just saying this because I want him to stay, but I hope Vandy is not the head job he ends up with. I think next year will be a bigger year as far as coaching moves/fires and the job selection could be much bigger and better. Vandy is a tough job.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:36 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcraft07 View Post
That'd be awesome but he makes a lot of money independently without having to be tied down to one area. Not sure being a QB coach at a school is even something that interests him
I doubt it interests him. Right now he can work with multiple QBs and push them to fame. Without worrying about wins or losses.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:43 PM
NFL Tiger

There seems to be a lot hoping for Chad to stay, which I am one of. Also, it appears that if he gets the offer he will go.

This raises an interesting question: if he does not get the offer, does he start to appear less qualified, and does it lessen his image in the eyes Clemson fans?
Old 01-14-2014, 12:49 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcraft07 View Post
One can dream can't he? Could you imagine the meltdown that would happen if we did get someone of that caliber?
Old 01-14-2014, 12:50 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger68 View Post
This raises an interesting question: if he does not get the offer, does he start to appear less qualified, and does it lessen his image in the eyes Clemson fans?
Some fans are already peeved because he interviews so much. Not me, but others. So that "image" is already tarnished.

Even if he gets passed over, if our offense comes out guns a blazin' this season, and especially if we have some great QB performances, his stock only rises in the coaching world. (Notice I used the plural about performances....my gut says we'll see more than 1 QB in action throughout the season.)
Old 01-14-2014, 01:05 PM
Tiger Starter

Vandy is more likely to kill your career then to make it. I hope Chad waits for a better job.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:09 PM
Scholarship Player

I am not sold on Jeff Scott being our OC. I hope Dabo at least considers other options.