Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2016, 05:53 PM
Ring of Honor

Default Re: Jefferie Gibson leaving Clemson

It's Gibson's loss...not ours. He would have definitely played this year and provided some depth. I still think Wiggins, Johnson, and Smith see the majority of the snaps regardless of what Gibson did. Appears Muse may be filling that role now.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:20 PM
Former TCI Staff/Went to Dark Side

Maybe he wants to play receiver? That's what NC State recruited him to play.

e-mail: hale@theclemsoninsider.com
Old 01-20-2016, 06:23 PM
NFL Tiger

That sux. What I've seen of him looked like he could have been a good one.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easley Tiger View Post
Wasn't the etsu player going to be a walkon?
Yea, he's walking on.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:46 PM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: Jefferie Gibson leaving Clemson

As some of you may know I am a college professor. I earned my BS and Ph.D. at Clemson. I have worked with young people for 20+ years. While many of them do think rationally, there are others that simply don't think things through. This is a really bad decision on his part.

Jefferie, you are making a really bad decision. Why would you want to leave Clemson after both starting safeties decided to leave? You have a golden opportunity to be the starting safety on a team that will be in the top 10 and compete for the college football playoff.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:47 PM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: Jefferie Gibson leaving Clemson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale McGranahan View Post
Maybe he wants to play receiver? That's what NC State recruited him to play.
I guess if he wants to give up on playing safety that it would make more sense.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:35 PM

Yep. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if we found out that he's playing wide receiver at (insert name) Community College.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:39 PM
Owner, Publisher

There is a theme here that is concerning me a little bit. We will be doing a little more investigation on this and the other recent DB losses
Old 01-20-2016, 08:52 PM
Two Deep

These scum sucking "agents" that are around our players need to be held at bay. I know it was all Tajh and his dad could do to keep them away from him his last year. Some even going so far as to try to entice his mom. I can't help but think its another one of those dirt balls at play here. Coming under the pretense of making the best move for the player when really it's all about what will help them.
Anyway, best of luck Jeffrey, I hope your eyes open before it's too late if it isn't already too late.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:54 PM
Scholarship Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Thorne MacRae View Post
There is a theme here that is concerning me a little bit. We will be doing a little more investigation on this and the other recent DB losses

There is smoke for sure....
Old 01-20-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemmer View Post
There is smoke for sure....
I don't know if I agree. We all knew Alexander and Kearse were probably going to be gone after this season before it even it started.

Green went pro too early. It happens everywhere. There are 103 underclassmen that have declared themselves eligible for the draft. The previous record was 98.

Gibson transferred. It happens everywhere. While it is a head-scratcher, I do believe that he wants to play wide receiver. Just a gut feeling that's what it is.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:47 PM
Two Deep

Quote:
I don't know if I agree. We all knew Alexander and Kearse were probably going to be gone after this season before it even it started.

Green went pro too early. It happens everywhere. There are 103 underclassmen that have declared themselves eligible for the draft. The previous record was 98.

Gibson transferred. It happens everywhere. While it is a head-scratcher, I do believe that he wants to play wide receiver. Just a gut feeling that's what it is.
Why not present that to the coaching staff? Why waste 2 years playing a position that you don't want to be at?
Old 01-20-2016, 11:03 PM
NFL Tiger

this one is a head scratcher for sure. it would seem he'd be sittin pretty for lots of playing time this season...its a very logical thought that he would rather play WR

I hope the coaches can pull a rabbit or two out for their hats. Green was a late flip, that nobody saw, and so was Wiggins if I remember correctly
Old 01-21-2016, 05:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
I believe so, yes.
My understanding is no because of the whole FCS FBS difference
Old 01-21-2016, 06:45 AM
Travel Team

At least it's happening now while so it leaves plenty of time to prepare a replacement. The amount of players we keep losing who are already part of the team and not injured is crazy to me. You would think most kids would want to be a part of this successful run we are making. I don't follow other programs like I do Clemson, so maybe others have the same types of issues to work through and we just don't here about it as much unless it's a big time player.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:00 AM
NFL Tiger

When you recruit at the level Clemson has done for several years, not only will talent be going to the NFL after 3 years, many highly regarded recruits will be transferring to get playing time or, as Will suggested, play a preferred position. Players want to play and for some, that takes precedent over being part of a championship team.

It's the choice of being a big fish in a small ocean or a small fish in a big ocean.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:52 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxvox View Post
My understanding is no because of the whole FCS FBS difference
I'm not 100% sure about all of this, but I believe you can go down in divisions (FBS to FCS; DII, etc) and not have to sit out a year. Also, you can go up from a 2-yr to a 4-yr without having to sit out year; and vice-versa. But, if you go up a division or across the same division, you have to sit out a year. Also, I think you lose that year of eligibility. That's why a lot of transfers go to community college for a year (Cam Newton, Chad Kelley, etc). They can go play and put up absurd numbers while attracting attention of a big-name program that they can transfer to and play immediately. Sometimes they'll still have 2 years of eligibility left, like Kelley.

My bet is that if Gibson really wants to play receiver, he's already got his eyes on a community college that he can go to where he thinks he can make a name for himself. Then, in 2017, he can transfer to a bigger school as a receiver and still have 2 years of eligibility left.

If receiver is the position Gibson is shooting for, then maybe transferring isn't such a bad idea for him. I really hate to lose a guy, especially one that could have an impact next year in a position we need depth. But he's not playing receiver at Clemson. We have way too much talent there and he knows that... has probably already been told we won't be able to use him there.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Walhalla2Atlanta; 01-21-2016 at 08:00 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:57 AM
Two Deep

He's leaving because of "bad advise"

I read that someone at Clemson gave him some bad advise, so he is leaving Clemson because of that.

I did not read it as someone told him that he should leave Clemson, and that was the "bad advise" and so he is leaving. That does not make sense.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:01 AM
Owner, Publisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by URR29 View Post
He's leaving because of "bad advise"

I read that someone at Clemson gave him some bad advise, so he is leaving Clemson because of that.

I did not read it as someone told him that he should leave Clemson, and that was the "bad advise" and so he is leaving. That does not make sense.
Yeah, if you read Will's post on his departure he mentions the bad advise. I'm not sure however that it was someone at Clemson that gave him bad advise. Don't think that is the case from what I am hearing.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:03 AM
Two Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Thorne MacRae View Post
Yeah, if you read Will's post on his departure he mentions the bad advise. I'm not sure however that it was someone at Clemson that gave him bad advise. Don't think that is the case from what I am hearing.
Is the "bad advise" that he should leave Clemson?

If he thinks it's bad advise, why is he doing it?