Clemson Insider Logo



Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #481  
Old 09-03-2016, 11:54 PM
tiger68's Avatar
tiger68 tiger68 is offline
NFL Tiger
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,603
Default Re: Live from Jordan-Hare - Clemson at Auburn

One reason not to attempt the FG is that a blocked FG can be returned for a TD. I would guess that Dabo had confidence in the D to stop them if we did not get the 1st down. Big gamble that almost did not work.
Reply With Quote
  #482  
Old 09-03-2016, 11:55 PM
tigerpawgt tigerpawgt is offline
NFL Tiger
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Grand Blanc MI
Posts: 2,596
Default Re: Live from Jordan-Hare - Clemson at Auburn

This has to be worst play calling from Scott/Elliot since they took over. Deshaun played mediocre and the line didn't play well either. Hopefully this is the worst we see and they get this stuff corrected. Of course same old same old from our not so special teams.

Good news, our defense played well for 3 quarters and will get better with experience over the nex few weeks.

Also remember this is week one in a tough road environment.

Last thing, we are all frustrated since expectations are very high. This team will get better, but special teams looks to be pretty much stuck in the mud. I guess a win is a win, but best is the standard. Will not understand the thinking about not kicking the FG, but it's in the rearview mirror now.
Reply With Quote
  #483  
Old 09-03-2016, 11:57 PM
GoTigers716 GoTigers716 is online now
NFL Tiger
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,194
Default Re: Live from Jordan-Hare - Clemson at Auburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89falcon View Post
I think Dabo may have watched the Auburn Alabama game a couple years ago when Bama missed the late FG.....and Auburn ran it back....or the GT-FSU game last year....
I wondered about that, but then just run the ball straight up the gut twice... Even if you don't get the FG, Auburn has 10 secs to go about 70-80 yards
Reply With Quote
  #484  
Old 09-03-2016, 11:58 PM
tigerphins tigerphins is online now
NFL Tiger
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,098
Default Re: Live from Jordan-Hare - Clemson at Auburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89falcon View Post
I think Dabo may have watched the Auburn Alabama game a couple years ago when Bama missed the late FG.....and Auburn ran it back....or the GT-FSU game last year....
Unless Auburn can stack 10 players on top of one another to form a giant totem pole of sorts, they're not catching a FG from that short of distance in the back of the end zone.

Last edited by tigerphins; 09-04-2016 at 12:00 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #485  
Old 09-04-2016, 12:03 AM
catdaddy2402's Avatar
catdaddy2402 catdaddy2402 is online now
NFL Tiger
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 2,855
Default Re: Live from Jordan-Hare - Clemson at Auburn

I can understand not kicking the FG because of the chance of a block. What I don't understand is why you don't throw the ball on 4th down. If it's incomplete you aren't giving up much yardage, if you throw it downfield and it's intercepted there's a better than good chance you force them to drive further down the field. If you complete the pass or get an interference call you kneel on it on 1st down. Not to mention the fact that you know they are going to sell out on the blitz so you have the chance at a roughing call.
Reply With Quote
  #486  
Old 09-04-2016, 12:06 AM
tigerphins tigerphins is online now
NFL Tiger
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,098
Default Re: Live from Jordan-Hare - Clemson at Auburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy2402 View Post
I can understand not kicking the FG because of the chance of a block. What I don't understand is why you don't throw the ball on 4th down. If it's incomplete you aren't giving up much yardage, if you throw it downfield and it's intercepted there's a better than good chance you force them to drive further down the field. If you complete the pass or get an interference call you kneel on it on 1st down. Not to mention the fact that you know they are going to sell out on the blitz so you have the chance at a roughing call.
Idk, maybe Dabo experienced a brain fart and thought the clock would continue to tick after a run. ....... or was afraid of the best QB in the nation throwing a pick 6.
Reply With Quote
  #487  
Old 09-04-2016, 12:36 AM
Tiger80 Tiger80 is online now
Ring of Honor
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 13,171
Post Re: Live from Jordan-Hare - Clemson at Auburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger68 View Post
One reason not to attempt the FG is that a blocked FG can be returned for a TD. I would guess that Dabo had confidence in the D to stop them if we did not get the 1st down. Big gamble that almost did not work.
I think a straight run is the thing I was upset about on 4th and 4. A dropped pass does not matter because it was 4th and the clock would stop anyway on a change of possession.
Reply With Quote
  #488  
Old 09-04-2016, 01:01 AM
hambone843 hambone843 is online now
Clemson Insider
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Clemson,SC
Posts: 1,678
Default Re: Live from Jordan-Hare - Clemson at Auburn

An ugly win is always better than a pretty lose. This is week ONE, and there's room for improvement. I agree that the FG call was awful.
Go Tigers.
Reply With Quote
  #489  
Old 09-04-2016, 08:29 AM
GustoMcFly's Avatar
GustoMcFly GustoMcFly is offline
Scholarship Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Greensboro, NC.
Posts: 59
Default Re: Live from Jordan-Hare - Clemson at Auburn

We didn't play our best, but a win is a win! Team has a lot of work to improve on...Defense played well especially Jadar And Dex!! Offensively It may Take a game or two for the offense to get clicking, they'll figure out a way for everyone to eat...Cain won't have another game like that.
Reply With Quote
  #490  
Old 09-04-2016, 10:56 PM
mk2.0 mk2.0 is offline
Walk On
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 16
Default Re: Live from Jordan-Hare - Clemson at Auburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerphins View Post
Idk, maybe Dabo experienced a brain fart and thought the clock would continue to tick after a run. ....... or was afraid of the best QB in the nation throwing a pick 6.
Unfortunately, if you're afraid of a kick 6, you're probably also afraid of a pick 6. I really wish Gallman would've stayed in bounds.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Clemson Tigers 2018 CFP National Champs Clemson Tigers gear at Fanatics.com



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:27 AM.

Partner with USA TODAY Sports Media Group

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.