Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2016, 11:54 PM
NFL Tiger

Default Re: Live from Jordan-Hare - Clemson at Auburn

One reason not to attempt the FG is that a blocked FG can be returned for a TD. I would guess that Dabo had confidence in the D to stop them if we did not get the 1st down. Big gamble that almost did not work.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:55 PM
NFL Tiger

This has to be worst play calling from Scott/Elliot since they took over. Deshaun played mediocre and the line didn't play well either. Hopefully this is the worst we see and they get this stuff corrected. Of course same old same old from our not so special teams.

Good news, our defense played well for 3 quarters and will get better with experience over the nex few weeks.

Also remember this is week one in a tough road environment.

Last thing, we are all frustrated since expectations are very high. This team will get better, but special teams looks to be pretty much stuck in the mud. I guess a win is a win, but best is the standard. Will not understand the thinking about not kicking the FG, but it's in the rearview mirror now.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:57 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89falcon View Post
I think Dabo may have watched the Auburn Alabama game a couple years ago when Bama missed the late FG.....and Auburn ran it back....or the GT-FSU game last year....
I wondered about that, but then just run the ball straight up the gut twice... Even if you don't get the FG, Auburn has 10 secs to go about 70-80 yards
Old 09-03-2016, 11:58 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89falcon View Post
I think Dabo may have watched the Auburn Alabama game a couple years ago when Bama missed the late FG.....and Auburn ran it back....or the GT-FSU game last year....
Unless Auburn can stack 10 players on top of one another to form a giant totem pole of sorts, they're not catching a FG from that short of distance in the back of the end zone.

Last edited by tigerphins; 09-04-2016 at 12:00 AM.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:03 AM
NFL Tiger

I can understand not kicking the FG because of the chance of a block. What I don't understand is why you don't throw the ball on 4th down. If it's incomplete you aren't giving up much yardage, if you throw it downfield and it's intercepted there's a better than good chance you force them to drive further down the field. If you complete the pass or get an interference call you kneel on it on 1st down. Not to mention the fact that you know they are going to sell out on the blitz so you have the chance at a roughing call.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:06 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy2402 View Post
I can understand not kicking the FG because of the chance of a block. What I don't understand is why you don't throw the ball on 4th down. If it's incomplete you aren't giving up much yardage, if you throw it downfield and it's intercepted there's a better than good chance you force them to drive further down the field. If you complete the pass or get an interference call you kneel on it on 1st down. Not to mention the fact that you know they are going to sell out on the blitz so you have the chance at a roughing call.
Idk, maybe Dabo experienced a brain fart and thought the clock would continue to tick after a run. ....... or was afraid of the best QB in the nation throwing a pick 6.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:36 AM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: Live from Jordan-Hare - Clemson at Auburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger68 View Post
One reason not to attempt the FG is that a blocked FG can be returned for a TD. I would guess that Dabo had confidence in the D to stop them if we did not get the 1st down. Big gamble that almost did not work.
I think a straight run is the thing I was upset about on 4th and 4. A dropped pass does not matter because it was 4th and the clock would stop anyway on a change of possession.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:01 AM
Clemson Insider

An ugly win is always better than a pretty lose. This is week ONE, and there's room for improvement. I agree that the FG call was awful.
Go Tigers.
Old 09-04-2016, 08:29 AM
Scholarship Player

We didn't play our best, but a win is a win! Team has a lot of work to improve on...Defense played well especially Jadar And Dex!! Offensively It may Take a game or two for the offense to get clicking, they'll figure out a way for everyone to eat...Cain won't have another game like that.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:56 PM
Walk On

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerphins View Post
Idk, maybe Dabo experienced a brain fart and thought the clock would continue to tick after a run. ....... or was afraid of the best QB in the nation throwing a pick 6.
Unfortunately, if you're afraid of a kick 6, you're probably also afraid of a pick 6. I really wish Gallman would've stayed in bounds.