Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2017, 08:13 PM
Owner, Publisher

Default Dabo disappointed in Clemson fans

From Dabo's Monday radio show

"What happened in the fourth quarter was a result of what happened in the first three quarters. You best believe that. It was one of those games when I watched the tape it is, when you get into some of those games you get a little frustrated. I sensed some frustration from our fans. It was disappointing to be honest with you because it is hard to win. I am never going to apologize for a win. I am never going to lose my appreciation."
Old 09-25-2017, 08:21 PM
Ring of Honor

Default Re: Dabo disappointed in Clemson fans

I'm still missing the point after reading that 3 times. Is he disappointed that fans got frustrated like he and the team did???
Old 09-25-2017, 08:31 PM
Ring of Honor

He shouldn't be surprised given the performance over the first three quarters. Personally, I'll never boo at a game....ever. But I'll damn sure vocalize some frustration. Things like...quit goofing around with the running backs, throw to the middle part of the field when inside backers or safeties blitz, let go of conservative play calling at times, etc.

I understand why we play conservative against lesser teams or in certain late game situations...I get it. Just don't feed me the "we play to a standard" at the same time and expect me to eat it up.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:32 PM
Owner, Publisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerNE View Post
I'm still missing the point after reading that 3 times. Is he disappointed that fans got frustrated like he and the team did???
He was disappointed in the way the fans reacted
Old 09-25-2017, 08:59 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Thorne MacRae View Post
He was disappointed in the way the fans reacted
I get that Dabo was disappointed. I was disappointed in the way the coaches kept dropping KB straight back instead of rolling him out or throwing quick passes.

However, I agree with Dabo. There are no ugly wins. Anyone that wants to complain about the way we looked in the win is welcome to re-live the early/mid 70's or the post-Danny era.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:22 PM
Two Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerNE View Post
It is one thing to be frustrated it is a total different thing to voice it with boos. That is the most ridiculous thing I have heard booing the defending national champs in a game they won. It was also our 10th straight win. Wow how we got spoiled in a hurry. I was frustrated but I will not boo my team no matter what and I have had many reasons to boo over the years suffering through the Hatfield/West years.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:23 PM
Two Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GvilleTiger View Post
I get that Dabo was disappointed. I was disappointed in the way the coaches kept dropping KB straight back instead of rolling him out or throwing quick passes.

However, I agree with Dabo. There are no ugly wins. Anyone that wants to complain about the way we looked in the win is welcome to re-live the early/mid 70's or the post-Danny era.
Amen Brother!
Old 09-25-2017, 09:44 PM
Two Deep

I can't hate on the fans for being frustrated. Dabo set the bar high, and the fans are going to let him know when they fall short.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:57 PM
Two Deep

I think coaches forget who pay a ton of money to go to games, pay for these facilities, and pay for coaches to make the kinds of salaries they do. It's because they expect the results on the field. I wouldn't trade Dabo for anyone but don't expect people to sit blindly and cheer for poor performance. I don't personally boo but I won't k ock people that do. Don't bite the hand that feeds you is the way I look at it. If you don't won't people to boo....play better. We have better players at every position and we expect them to play like it.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:16 PM
NFL Tiger

If yer mad, leave. The players will keep playing.

Booing your own team's coaching staff screams "spoiled" at astonishing volumes. This holds true if you haven't lost a conference game, or you are just hoping to break even in ACC play.

Now when the Refs mess up... let them have it.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:23 PM
Two Deep

This Tiger fan is happy with the win. The reality is that in a few weeks most people will only remember the final score, not that it was tied 7-7 after 3 quarters. A win is a win, and if you were around for the 1981 championship; you'll remember there were some similar struggles back during that season as well. All fans need to enjoy this ride, it's been a long time coming!
Old 09-25-2017, 10:42 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemsonfan1364 View Post
He shouldn't be surprised given the performance over the first three quarters. Personally, I'll never boo at a game....ever. But I'll damn sure vocalize some frustration. Things like...quit goofing around with the running backs, throw to the middle part of the field when inside backers or safeties blitz, let go of conservative play calling at times, etc.

I understand why we play conservative against lesser teams or in certain late game situations...I get it. Just don't feed me the "we play to a standard" at the same time and expect me to eat it up.
I agree. Dabo has ingrained the standard and we are expecting that, being critical is no different than the coaches grabbing facemasks of players after they leave the field following a screw up. I don't agree with booing the players ever, but they want the love they need to feel the disappointment!

I didn't boo anyone but the refs, and only on that goofy-ass moving of the ball from hash mark to the other hash and back again after they decided to review the play to determine it was a forward pass, AFTER BC had just concluded a timeout!!~! Well that sent me over the edge and I empathize with Coach Addazio (one of my favorite coaches). I'd have blown a gasket too!
All of which didn't show on the TV replay I watched! Ludicrous.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:17 AM
NFL Tiger

This was my first game back in the valley since last year when we played Louisville. To be honest, I was disappointed at some of the play calling (after the first screen pass didn't work, stop throwing it!). I was also disappointed in how mediocre the team seemed to play for the first 3 quarters. It felt like they started the game like they were already up 40-0... effort seemed to be lacking a little.

BUT... I was way more disappointed at the booing. I'll yell "c'mon" or "he was open, throw the ball." But, nobody on the field hears that. I'll also boo the refs for making stupid calls. The boos I heard Saturday were definitely aimed at the coaches and team. When a play was somewhat unsuccessful, the boo birds would come out in full effect. To me, that's like you turning your back on a team that just last year won the whole dang thing (and could do it again this year)! And last year, we had close games with teams we should have just blown out (remember Troy; almost losing to NC St?).

If you want to boo this team, stay at home and do it from your couch. There are 75+ 18-22-year-old kids out there trying to play a game. They're not perfect and sometimes they might come out a little flat. And, once in a while, a lesser team will come with a gameplan that makes the game interesting. We won the stinking game by 27 points!
Old 09-26-2017, 09:20 AM
Way2tall

I personally don't remember if I boo'd or not but I sure was frustrated. "Come on!! Really??!!" is what I definitely kept on saying. I don't think we should ever boo our team. These are kids out there sweating and working and hopefully giving it their all. What I was frustrated with was calling the same play time after time after time and it was like running into a brick wall. The bubble screen and the zone read off the right side obviously weren't working but we kept doing the same thing over and over, hoping for a different result!
I don't think we should boo but I sure as heck was frustrated, at the coaches more than at the players.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:53 PM
Walk On

Dabo & staff have forgotten more about football than any "fan" sitting on their butt watching will ever know. A good & true Clemson fan supports the team & coaches start to finish. Any fool can stand & cheer when all is well.
When the chips are down & the boys are a little off, that's when fans show their true colors. Do you really think boos from their own fans is going to help?
Just stay home or find another team if you're not ready to fight to the end with OUR TEAM! GO TIGERS!!!
Old 09-26-2017, 01:02 PM
Tiger Starter

I get where he is coming from; however, the flip side is that the fans stuck around (minus the students) and made an impact late with a false start when it was still a game.

I do think at times coaches and, to a lesser extent, players need to understand the cost fans endure: tickets, parking, food, flights, etc. We only get so many of these days and some times it gets frustrating. If the players and coaches can be frustrated, why can't the fans? That being said, booing should be reserved for the referees and when the opposing team comes on the field.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:22 PM
NFL Tiger

If he's disappointed in Clemson fans he only has himself to blame. He's the one who keeps saying "Best is the Standard" and quite honestly what I saw the first three quarters last Saturday was far from the best.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:46 PM
Travel Team

The money we invest in Clemson football games entitles us as fans to a seat in the stadium nothing more. If you really want this team to succeed then booing is stupid. What do you think the recruits who were there Saturday think about a fan base who turns on its team after just 45 minutes of disappointing play? The reigning national champs who just pummeled a top 15 team on the road the week before no less. I was there and was embarrassed by the booing. Your job as a fan in the stadium is to support the team unconditionally; if you can't handle that stay home.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:03 PM
Two Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by geech72 View Post
The money we invest in Clemson football games entitles us as fans to a seat in the stadium nothing more. If you really want this team to succeed then booing is stupid. What do you think the recruits who were there Saturday think about a fan base who turns on its team after just 45 minutes of disappointing play? The reigning national champs who just pummeled a top 15 team on the road the week before no less. I was there and was embarrassed by the booing. Your job as a fan in the stadium is to support the team unconditionally; if you can't handle that stay home.
Amen.

Booing the reigning national champs who have yet to lose a game screams spoiled rotten brats, especially a game they won. What do you guys think those recruits thought when they heard the home team booed, but more importantly what do you think our players thought when they heard their fans turn on them. EMBARRASSING
Old 09-27-2017, 03:58 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTiger View Post
Amen.
What do you guys think those recruits thought when they heard the home team booed
That Clemson fans don't appreciate a half-assed effort.