Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2016, 07:43 AM
Founder/Publisher

Default Will Stoops survive Mixon Video?

I think he will since the President and AD also saw it unless all three get canned.
Old 12-17-2016, 07:48 AM
Tiger Starter

Default Re: Will Stoops survive Mixon Video?

My question is why in the hell would Stoops put himself in the situation. ..win at all cost is the way it looks.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:19 AM
Ring of Honor

Had the same thought Robert. They'll face some tough questions from the media, but I don't see anything happening.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:31 AM
NFL Tiger

I am not saying whether or not it was enough punishment but they did suspend him for a year. What is the proper punishment? I don't know. IMO at least off the team for good but when do you give kids a second chance and when do you not? Definitely not a good situation for any.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:07 AM
Two Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMITH2554 View Post
I am not saying whether or not it was enough punishment but they did suspend him for a year. What is the proper punishment? I don't know. IMO at least off the team for good but when do you give kids a second chance and when do you not? Definitely not a good situation for any.
They redshirtted him. He lost 0 eligibility from the 'suspension'
Old 12-17-2016, 09:12 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcraft07 View Post
They redshirtted him. He lost 0 eligibility from the 'suspension'
Oh...well that's not good then.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:49 AM
NFL Tiger

Look people screw up I get it and people deserve a second chance but not for this. I don't care what that girl did or said you absolutely do not bomb her the way he did. He could have killed that girl if she would have fell and hit her head wrong. Nope sorry I don't give second chances for that. The video shows his lack of respect, ethics, morals and common sense and thats all I need to see. Sometimes after a first offense you don't get a second chance because of the severity of the act committed and thats on him. He should have shown way more discipline than that. So, for me, Stoops nor Mixon should get a free pass and the second chance excuse is a way to let this guy off the hook. Hitting a girl like that isn't a mistake, he didn't "accidently" hit her that is who this guy is. I understand the way women act sometimes and how it is all right for them to almost do what they want against men and how lopsided that double standard is but there is a reason for that and as much as some of these women's groups want to act like they are equal to men in every way they aren't when it comes to physicality. You can think thats sexist or misogynist but its science and its fact and under NO circumstance is it alright to hit a woman. I am very passionate about this because I had to see it growing up to the most wonderful, God fearing, beautiful, dedicated mom on this earth at the hands of my very own father until she divorced him 25 years later. So I will never back someone up who does it whether its his 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 100th chance and the fact he didn't even lose a year of eligibility is out of this world mind blowing.......
Old 12-17-2016, 10:01 AM
Tiger Starter

I just don't see how Stoops could stand to look at Mixon everyday after viewing that video. Especially, with him being a father to a daughter. I would've washed my hands of Mixon and told him to go get that second chance somewhere else.
Old 12-17-2016, 03:33 PM
Tiger Starter

I think that he will survive, just because it is Oklahoma, and they don't care what the outside world thinks. I also think they this is the beginning of the end for all those involved though. For Stoops I think that this signals the end for him possibly going to another School. No big school will touch him after this. For Mixon the best that he can hope for would be signing as a free agent. There is no way a team will risk drafting him.

In the end Oklahoma used him, and he used Oklahoma, and for that everyone in charge there should be ashamed.
Old 12-17-2016, 07:02 PM
Travel Team

He already survived it. He and the AD watched it after it happened. Believe it or not Mixon won an appeal or motion in court to get the video released before the bowl game.
Old 12-17-2016, 07:14 PM
Founder/Publisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerCat View Post
He already survived it. He and the AD watched it after it happened. Believe it or not Mixon won an appeal or motion in court to get the video released before the bowl game.
Actually the press won a freedom of information act for the video so it was going to be released in a couple of weeks. His lawyer then decided to go ahead an put it out from what I read. So it was going to come out in a few weeks regardless.
Old 12-17-2016, 07:55 PM
Travel Team

That was the correct order. It was going to be the 26th. And they decided earlier.

Heres a question i have from all of this. Mixon was only charged with a misdemeanor. How the heck is that possible? He broke her freakin jaw! Unbelievable that was a misdemeanor.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:50 AM
Scholarship Player

Default what punishment would be appropriate?

I've been thinking about this a little this morning and wondering, given the situation, how Stoops could/should have responded in this situation that would have been better? Obviously the redshirt year was a ridiculous non-punishment.

The kid was apparently a 5* player out of high school so if Stoops/the University kick him out he is going to immediately get a scholarship from Louisville or Baylor or somebody, right?

The legal system apparently didn't think anything beyond a little community service was necessary (this should get at least as much criticism as Stoops).

I wonder how would Swinney handle this?

Some things that occur to me:

sit out multiple years?
required to volunteer for charities for female abuse victims every summer throughout his entire college career?
obviously some sort of anger management counseling
required to do some sort of PSAs?

Just kicking him out so he's someone else's problem or so that he goes essentially unpunished and gets to be a star for some other program seems like a bit of a cop out cya pc type move. I don't think he should be prevented from playing ever again or anything, but I'm wondering how could this be handled in a way that would be a fair punishment and decrease the likelihood of him doing this in the future and have him serve as an example for other athletes/kids.

I'll hang up and listen.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:05 AM
Tiger Starter

The thing that stands out to me in the video is how he tucks tale and leaves like a coward. He knew what he did was wrong, so he left. But any decent human being could've seen the aftermath of that hit and immediately changed course and tried to help the victim. Yes she slapped him first, but it didn't hurt him physically, only his pride was injured.
Yes he should be given a chance at redemption but ONLY after he pays for his crime and so far in my opinion, he hasn't faced any punishment for his actions. He is simple being given a pass because of his talent on a field.