Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2020, 09:39 AM
NFL Tiger

Default CU better this year

Stopped in to see what GT fans were saying on one of their message boards. They are livid that CU did not take a knee on every down in the 2nd half. What caught my eye was a thread asking where they improved from last year. They came in thinking the score would be closer than last year given their team is better this year than last year. Not an unreasonable expectation given they do have a better team this year except for one thing. IMO this years Clemson team is Way better than the team we put on the field last year. The frightening thing for other teams is we will only get better as the season progresses notwithstanding a possible Covid outbreak or injuries. Our young players are improving with experience and getting XT and Ngata back will really help us. This years team has the potential to be the best ever.

Feel free to change my mind.
Old 10-18-2020, 09:49 AM
Owner, Publisher

Default Re: CU better this year

No doubt they have that potential.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:02 AM
Scholarship Player

The key is the development of the back 7. That is the only thing that held us back against LSU. We need to improve in safety play against the deep pass. Safety gets sucked in to under routes quickly and leaves corners on an island.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:41 AM
TCI Staff

This teams is really good, and like you said they have a chance to be better. They still make a few mistakes on the backend of the defense because they are young, but that will will get cleaned up with more experience and film study.

As for GT fans thinking Clemson ran up the score, that is ridiculous. Clemson played with second, third and fourth team guys the entire second half. Those guys practice, too. They deserve to score and make plays when they can.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:43 AM
NFL Tiger

Fair point but I would suggest our DL was part of the reason our back seven was lit up by LSU. Last year we could not get pressure on the QB without blitzing which left us short handed on the back end.

Our corners are better this year than last as are our DL, TE, RB and QB positions. LBs and OL are similar this year vs. last year. Safeties are not as good and WRs are not quite as good. We need either Ladson or Ngata to step up at WR as a down the field threat and be consistent. Amari has stepped up his game but we need one more. Our safeties are what they are which is limited as compared to other top end position groups.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:58 AM
Travel Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsson View Post
Fair point but I would suggest our DL was part of the reason our back seven was lit up by LSU. Last year we could not get pressure on the QB without blitzing which left us short handed on the back end.

Our corners are better this year than last as are our DL, TE, RB and QB positions. LBs and OL are similar this year vs. last year. Safeties are not as good and WRs are not quite as good. We need either Ladson or Ngata to step up at WR as a down the field threat and be consistent. Amari has stepped up his game but we need one more. Our safeties are what they are which is limited as compared to other top end position groups.
+1 Totally agreed, the LSU debacle was on the DLine, no secondary can hold up all day
Old 10-18-2020, 12:28 PM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: CU better this year

Quote:

+1

You literally took the words right out of my mouth.

Id like our O-line to get better. We are still not as physical on running plays as I would prefer.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:54 PM
Ring of Honor

GT fans might be complaining, but the team played hard throughout the game. I was impressed with GT and its staff.
Old 10-18-2020, 01:53 PM
Travel Team

Quote:
This years team has the potential to be the best ever.

Feel free to change my mind.
I agree that the potential is there! I already think we are better than every team on our schedule and any potential ACC championship opponent. At this point I think we are playing to get better in order to be prepared for teams that will play in the playoff.

I think the three biggest things that need to improve at this point are:

1) our vulnerability against big pass plays

2) interior push by the OLine

3) outside receivers becoming consistently dominant
Old 10-18-2020, 06:38 PM
NFL Tiger

If the following players kick it up a notch, it would be hard to find a weakness:
- Ladson
- Powell (ie more games like today)
- Mike Jones (become that utility knife for Venables)
- Zanders (improve in pass coverage)
- Carman (this should be the paycheck year so be dominant)
- Stewart