Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2021, 07:02 AM
Founder/Publisher

Default Will softball make the CWS before baseball?

Right now it sure looks like it
Old 04-14-2021, 11:19 AM
Tiger Starter

Default Re: Will softball make the CWS before baseball?

Softball definitely can.
Old 04-14-2021, 03:14 PM
Ring of Honor

Does the post season work like baseball with regionals, supers, then CWS?

McWorter Stadium should be a Super Regional site this year.
Old 04-14-2021, 03:40 PM
Tiger Starter

Yes. Those girls can play
Old 04-15-2021, 08:36 AM
TCI Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpawgt View Post
Does the post season work like baseball with regionals, supers, then CWS?

McWorter Stadium should be a Super Regional site this year.
Yes it can. Right now, Clemson likely will host a regional. They need to get in the top 10 most likely to get a Super. Last I saw, they were No. 18 in the polls. I have not seen the new ones, yet.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:59 AM
NFL Tiger

Without a doubt, you would have to put your money on the Softball team. Way too many problems with the baseball team to fix anytime soon. (batting, fielding, base running, etc.)

The one concern I have about the Softball team is their record against ranked opponents. Currently they are 3-4 (VT 1-2, Duke 2-2). To me this shows they belong in the 11-20 ranking. But what are they going to do against a top 10 team. Their SOS is 44, so they have beaten the teams they should beat and gone about .500 against the teams of similar talent.

That being said, where the program is in year TWO is phenomenal. I think I saw where there are 19 freshmen and only 2 seniors(grad). So CWS could definitely be in the picture in years to come.
Old 04-15-2021, 02:57 PM
Founder/Publisher

This went about the say I thought it would
Old 04-15-2021, 05:58 PM
Ring of Honor

They say RPI is what matters for hosting a regional with generally the top 16 hosting. Right now we are #13 with remaining series against BC, NCSU, and Syracuse plus a game against the chickens (and the ACC tourney). I feel pretty good about our chances in all the remaining games. Right now I think our chances of hosting a regional is pretty good but 3 ACC schools have higher RPIs than Clemson right now (FSU, VT, Duke) so if they start playing geography/conference politics then who knows.

I definitely think the softball team is not only better positioned to make the CWS but they are also most fundamentally sound and a better all-around ball club than the baseball team - and to make it that much more impressive most of them are freshmen.
Old 04-16-2021, 07:01 AM
TCI Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Tiger View Post
They say RPI is what matters for hosting a regional with generally the top 16 hosting. Right now we are #13 with remaining series against BC, NCSU, and Syracuse plus a game against the chickens (and the ACC tourney). I feel pretty good about our chances in all the remaining games. Right now I think our chances of hosting a regional is pretty good but 3 ACC schools have higher RPIs than Clemson right now (FSU, VT, Duke) so if they start playing geography/conference politics then who knows.

I definitely think the softball team is not only better positioned to make the CWS but they are also most fundamentally sound and a better all-around ball club than the baseball team - and to make it that much more impressive most of them are freshmen.
The ACC Tournament will be big for them. If they get to the finals, they will be in position to be a top 8 seed.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:38 AM
Tiger Starter

Being a new softball fan since Clemson has a team and two of my nieces play, I was asking a buddy who the top teams are. He said the whole SEC is really good. (Sound familiar??) I watched a couple of games and was not impressed except for..... Alabama. Their pitcher Montana Fouts is unbelievable. She didn't bat, but Cagle is right on track to be as dominant if not better than her in a few years. I think Bama borrowed a few of Saban's players for the softball team. The pitcher for Arkansas, Autumn Storms (gotta love softball pitcher names) is solid as well. Never thought I would follow softball, but not a fan of NBA, baseball is ok, but takes too long. Will be interesting to see how the tigers fare in their first go round in the postseason. They are young, but I think have a high ceiling.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:57 AM
Tiger Starter

You can also ask the question if they will go to the CWS before MBB wins a first round NCAA tourney game. (Spoiler alert...the answer is yes...)
Old 04-16-2021, 11:00 AM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89falcon View Post
You can also ask the question if they will go to the CWS before MBB wins a first round NCAA tourney game. (Spoiler alert...the answer is yes...)
Well, for that matter they will make the CWS before football wins another game. It's just a logistics question at this point.

Now, here's a question to mull over. Who finishes higher in the final poll:
Softball
Men's Soccer
Women's Soccer

Now whip out the crystal balls