Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Register Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2019, 04:42 PM
TCI Staff

Default OT: Do you have a problem with Team USA winning 13-0?

I don't have an issue with this? I don't.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:56 PM
Ring of Honor

Default Re: OT: Do you have a problem with Team USA winning 13-0?

Well considering they restrict you to 3 substitutes for the game they couldn’t pull the starters and clear the bench. Had they scored “only” 9 there would have been complaints too. Nope I don’t have a problem...but I not sure I’d want them to score many more than that.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:59 PM
NFL Tiger

I'm torn on this issue and I fear that it is due to me not playing soccer growing up, and the true disinterest nationally in soccer (Futbol) in the mid 80s.

I get that for people playing soccer on an international level, scoring a goal in the world cup is a big deal. I was also taught that if you score, you act like you have been there before.

Some of the antics of the ladies that scored goals in that blowout made me cringe a little. Win with class, lose with class- this is the mantra I grew up with.

But the only issue I have is the post-goal celebrations.
The final score... what were they supposed to do, take a knee?
*nod to Tommy B for the quote*
Old 06-12-2019, 07:07 PM
Travel Team

Nope. If you have a problem with it stop it. This is the world cup, not an international friendly. And if it comes down to it goal differential can make it difference. You put up as many goals as possible and give yourself every advantage possible. End of story.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:01 PM
NFL Tiger

I wouldn't like to lose by 13.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:07 PM
NFL Tiger

Every player in World Cup celebrates a goal and nothing was "extreme" besides the score. Not the US ladies problem that it happened 13 times, so deal with it.

There is no mercy rule in World Cup and ties are decided by points in bracket.

Besides most of the noise started coming from Canadian players (Rustand & Kyle) up in the broadcast booth that are still butt hurt that they were denied Gold and a World Cup by the US Women's team multiple times.
--Daughters, they can climb trees, fish, and shoot guns just as good as any boy, sometimes better. Plus they can have the boy clean the fish, buy the bullets when they go out, and then the Father gets to eat. Daughters are great. --
Old 06-12-2019, 11:28 PM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: OT: Do you have a problem with Team USA winning 13-0?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Tiger View Post
Well considering they restrict you to 3 substitutes for the game they couldn’t pull the starters and clear the bench. Had they scored “only” 9 there would have been complaints too. Nope I don’t have a problem...but I not sure I’d want them to score many more than that.
+1

You can’t help but “run up the score” when you have to play eight of your 11 starters the entire game.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:07 AM
Two Deep

I don’t think this has anything to due with the rules. 13-0 is not a normal score in soccer. I think this has do to with Thailand being really bad and the USA team being really good.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:19 AM
NFL Tiger

No issue winning especially when goal diff is part of advancing assuming there was no cap on goal diff. In many tnmts you get gaol diff but only up to say 3 or pts.

I do have an issue with heavy celebration up 9-10 points. What are you celebrating whipping an infferior opponent? To me that simply reflects on the person not the team.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:58 AM
Scholarship Player

Heck no, when we gave up 70 points in the Orange Bowl, that was a wake up call and now we have 2 of the last 3 National titles. These teams are the best in the world. It's not like they could waste the clock, kicking the ball around in at mid-field is dangerous. They could give up goals, and that would hurt with goal differential.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:03 AM
Tiger Starter

It would be more disrespectful to play keep away or play with less players than it would be to just keep playing your game as usual. As far as acting like you been there before? It's a little different in soccer/futbol when several of these women have never scored in a World Cup before. When most games have 2-3 goals scored it's accepted practice to celebrate like crazy when you score. That's actually a big part of the game and it isn't considered lacking in class to do so.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:47 PM
Walk On

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitiger View Post
No issue winning especially when goal diff is part of advancing assuming there was no cap on goal diff. In many tnmts you get gaol diff but only up to say 3 or pts.

I do have an issue with heavy celebration up 9-10 points. What are you celebrating whipping an infferior opponent? To me that simply reflects on the person not the team.
I’m with whitiger on this. I’m fine with scoring as much as you can but they should have toned down the celebrating just a little. I’ve played on soccer teams where we scored 20+ goals in games against inferior opponents and we didn’t act like that.

Dabo took a knee on Bama in the Natty instead of scoring another TD!

Last edited by FourLucky; 06-13-2019 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-13-2019, 01:38 PM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourLucky View Post
I’m with whitiger on this. I’m fine with scoring as much as you can but they should have toned down the celebrating just a little. I’ve played on soccer teams where we scored 20+ goals in games against inferior opponents and we didn’t act like that.

Dabo took a knee on Bama in the Natty instead of scoring another TD!
I was on a team and we won most of our games very easily with big goal differentials. We didn't celebrate like that but there's a big difference between youth soccer and professional World Cup. I don't have a problem with the celebrations on this level.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:08 PM
Two Deep

Of course not.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:48 PM
Two Deep

The only other option is to play keep away for 90 minutes. Which version is more disrespectful?

My sister played in a game in high school against a team that had no prayer. They scored something like 5 goals in the first 15 minutes, and the coach told them they weren't allowed to shoot the rest of the game as long as they had a 5 goal lead. To me, that's a bigger slap in the face than just playing your game and winning (even if it's by a football score).
Old 06-14-2019, 07:01 AM
TCI Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU311 View Post
The only other option is to play keep away for 90 minutes. Which version is more disrespectful?

My sister played in a game in high school against a team that had no prayer. They scored something like 5 goals in the first 15 minutes, and the coach told them they weren't allowed to shoot the rest of the game as long as they had a 5 goal lead. To me, that's a bigger slap in the face than just playing your game and winning (even if it's by a football score).
I totally agree! I covered a high school game years ago where a team won 17-0 in a state playoff game. There was nothing they could really do about it because the other team could not stop them. They tried not to score, but the other team was so bad and they were so good, they could not really stop.

I asked the winning head coach, off the record, about it after the game and he told me exactly what you said here. It would have embarrassed the other team even more had they passed the ball around and just had them chasing it. He said it would have made the losing team look even worse, which was not fair to those players.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:55 AM
Two Deep

No problem with the goals, probably should have toned down the celebrations after about 5 or 6 goals. Not like football or basketball when a sub that never gets in a game an scores.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:31 PM
Scholarship Player

Agree with the others who said it was the late game celebrations that were classless. Act like you’ve been there before.
Old Yesterday, 06:53 AM
Owner, Publisher

I thought they could have slowed things down a bit. I also didn't think some of the celebrations were necessary but I'm not a guy that watches a lot of soccer.