Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2019, 08:39 AM
Owner, Publisher

Default Wes Durham thinks Lawrence is going to be scary

From Packer and Durham show on the ACC Network

"I am not going to worry about Trevor Lawrence interceptions. You know why because I think we are caught up in last year's number and he is a different quarterback. Trevor Lawrence is making throws this year that Trevor Lawrence wouldn't even throw last year, let alone complete them. He is playing at a very high level and making higher degree of difficulty attempts. And he is starting to get it and that is going to be scary."
Old 10-15-2019, 09:45 AM
NFL Tiger

Default Re: Wes Durham thinks Lawrence is going to be scary

Ok, but that sounds like spin to explain away the interceptions. Once again, Trevor threw an interception that was an obvious mistake (as compared to forcing a throw into a tight window) and should have been lesson learned from first couple games. I think at least half of his interceptions have been of this type.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:55 AM
Owner, Publisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerpawgt View Post
Ok, but that sounds like spin to explain away the interceptions. Once again, Trevor threw an interception that was an obvious mistake (as compared to forcing a throw into a tight window) and should have been lesson learned from first couple games. I think at least half of his interceptions have been of this type.
Tigers were up 28-0 at the time of that Interception. I didn't think it was a big deal at all
Old 10-15-2019, 11:11 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Thorne MacRae View Post
Tigers were up 28-0 at the time of that Interception. I didn't think it was a big deal at all
Right, not a critical mistake on Saturday. However, it could indicate continuing to force a play when he shouldn’t. That would be bad if he did it again in a post season game. I’m sure during film review, the current score had no bearing on how the coaches provided constructive feedback. I’m not trying to be overly critical of Trevor, but I thought this same teachable mistake has already happened and should be “out of his decision making by now”.

Anyhow, my intended point is that Trevor’s interceptions aren’t just occurring because he’s attempting more difficult passes. Which is the way I took Durham’s explanation.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:37 AM
Ring of Honor

To this point, Swinney has repeatedly asked Trevor to take more chances...in the running game and with throws. He was so risk averse last year that he had to be coaxed into attempting some passes. Couple that with some of the vanilla play-calling in the first few games and you have more interceptions. His completion percentage is still good and he hits on plenty of explosive plays....it's not like he's really playing bad.

The FSU and GT pass at the end of the half were obviously mistakes, but I think it speaks to his/staffs mindset and he continues to improve and grow as a QB. The picks haven't been an issue and I don't think they will be.

He's still a kid and is going to make mistakes. Hell, Watson had a pretty awful first half against Ohio St and that worked out just fine. I would advise anyone to just let the season play out. TL is fine and this is part of the staff getting him to grow....let it happen...lol.