Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2021, 10:45 AM
Ring of Honor

Default Monte lee

I’m just curious, but what is his job security. I know we have some young talented players, but we are not looking very good right now. That said, I think we have taken a pretty big step back from the Leggett era.

Last edited by Cutigergrad04; 04-18-2021 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-18-2021, 10:48 AM
NFL Tiger

Default Re: Monte lee

I hope there is at least a candle under his seat.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:06 AM
Ring of Honor

The program is most certainly going backwards. Many forget the hitting was struggling last year with a similar lineup before the season was called off. They had a better situation for pitching but Leeís history at Clemson they likely would have had losing streaks once the heart of the conference schedule started. Thus I see the current situation as an extension of 2020.

Covid gives DRad cover from having to address a change until after next season if Coach Lee doesnít turn it around big time. Missing the NCAA tournament two straight seasons after mediocre regionals in prior years should be reason enough to move on.
Old 04-19-2021, 08:16 AM
Tiger Starter

I don't care enough about baseball to have a strong opinion, but I think we do have to temper expectations given the new landscape. I think it is reasonable given Clemson's baseball history to expect to be in the tournament most years and to host a regional once every 3-4 years. Unless Clemson invests more in baseball, I wouldn't expect anything beyond that.
Old 04-19-2021, 08:55 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerFaninArkansas View Post
I don't care enough about baseball to have a strong opinion, but I think we do have to temper expectations given the new landscape. I think it is reasonable given Clemson's baseball history to expect to be in the tournament most years and to host a regional once every 3-4 years. Unless Clemson invests more in baseball, I wouldn't expect anything beyond that.
I don't think anyone is trying to compare Clemson to Vanderbilt with their ability to recruit using endowments. But to be the worst team in the state of South Carolina is pathetic. There are so many issues like batting, fielding, base running, base coaching, etc that regardless of talent we should not be so bad at. This team stinks fundamentally, and that is on Monte Lee.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:02 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerFaninArkansas View Post
IMO our baseball issues is not related to lack of investment by Clemson. We have solid facilities, not cycling through staff due to salary issues and have a solid history which matters to recruits. Note this is a totally different situation than basketball which will take a splash of investment to overcome a nonexistent history of achievement.

1) Monte has not lived up to expectations. Plain and simple. Maybe injuries have hurt and the team is young but they are not where a Clemson baseball team should be given our history.
2) When Clemson pulled out of the common academic market it hurt the program. Out of state Players cant afford or choose not to pay an extra $20K to attend Clemson
3) without the common market we are competing against several very good instate programs and there is not enough instate talent to have 3-4 top tier teams
4) Schools like Vandy and UVA will always have an advantage due to their endowment and the fact all students pay tuition based on income so regardless of in or out of state they can offer a great deal

Its hard for me to see areas where we can improve the situation other than rejoining the common market or looking at our coaching staff
Old 04-19-2021, 09:37 AM
Ring of Honor

I understood DRad supported dropping the common market because very few used it to justify admin costs involved. Apparently Clemson doesnít have enough unique degree programs compared to the peer states to be of practical use. Maybe thatís not really accurate today so who knows.
Old 04-19-2021, 10:17 AM
Two Deep

At the time of his hire, I thought Monte Lee was a home run hire but this team for sure has not met expectations. Yes....he does have obstacles that others do not have and getting rid of the Academic common market did not help. Be that as it may, this team has talent and should be playing better than they are.

On the other side, this is the first "bad" year that Monte has had. i have not written them off yet, but Clemson baseball is hard to watch right now. Monte will be back in 22, but I do think the seat will be a little warm if the team has not improved.
Old 04-19-2021, 10:31 AM
NFL Tiger

Beyond anything, beyond Title IX, beyond the 11.7, beyond big school endowments and beyond common market the one thing that is Monte's fault is the bonehead mistakes that has cost this team multiple games. Base running blunders, the catching of routine pop flies, throwing the damn ball and so many more. It's the fundamentals of the game that has cost Clemson more games than being just out talented. Against Miami Clemson was just out matched talent wise. i know years ago LeCroy would take about them trying to work on the deficits with the program in recruiting. Not sure what that entails but he did say it would take time. There's a reason Clemson baseball has fallen off consistently since 2009. Yes they have had good years but haven't been Omaha good since around 2009. Clemson is in the talk when it comes to regionals but haven't been in the talk when it comes to Omaha and that has to change quick and in a hurry.
Old 04-19-2021, 10:40 AM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerRick4U View Post
At the time of his hire, I thought Monte Lee was a home run hire but this team for sure has not met expectations. Yes....he does have obstacles that others do not have and getting rid of the Academic common market did not help. Be that as it may, this team has talent and should be playing better than they are.

On the other side, this is the first "bad" year that Monte has had. i have not written them off yet, but Clemson baseball is hard to watch right now. Monte will be back in 22, but I do think the seat will be a little warm if the team has not improved.
Iím on the same wavelength. I do think last year was setting up to play out like this year mainly because hitting was also poor and the schedule was just getting to tougher conference play. We had better and more veteran pitching but depth was still a problem if there had been injuries like Sharpe being out right now, or guys out because of Covid (more likely).

Whatís discouraging is that there was optimism after fall development work, but that just has not showed up in the fundamentals of the returning players. Thus, next year should be viewed as make or break for Lee. The trend has been downhill since Ď18 when the last of the Leggett players departed. How much longer do you give Lee to turn it around? That will be his 7th year. If heís provided more time with continuing decline then for me that says Clemson no longer strives to be excellent in baseball. That makes no sense to me since they have made investments in the facilities over Leeís tenure.