Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2021, 06:31 AM
Founder/Publisher

Default How will Elliott change the offense this year?

Obviously there should be some lessons learned from the CFP disaster. How do you think Tony will change things this season?
Old 04-06-2021, 07:07 AM
Ring of Honor

Default Re: How will Elliott change the offense this year?

It will be a crime if he doesnít use the TEís in a more creative passing game. From what I saw Saturday he should platoon the RBs early to maximize what each one can do best, then narrow down the snaps as he finds whoís playing the best.

This is the year to open up the playbook and find ways to be effective without the threat of the QB run option. No way they can afford to roll the dice running DJ this season. If Coach Elliott doesnít make significant changes in scheme then he simply isnít recognizing how stale the playbook has become.
Old 04-06-2021, 07:30 AM
Two Deep

Good points.

The play selection of zone read, 50/50 fade jump ball, screen play has not fooled anyone in a couple years. Luckily for us, we can out-athlete most teams on our schedule but have been exposed once we matched up with an equally or more talented foe in the playoff.

Iíd love to see more inside slant routes, utilize the TE on seam plays, RB counter & draw, and as mentioned above, a lot less QB run. We certainly didnít see much of a glimpse in the spring game.

Elliot will have to prove it against a stout Georgia defense right off the bat though.
Old 04-06-2021, 09:26 AM
Ring of Honor

Each year we debate about the playbook being vanilla so as not to leave scouting reports for later on in the season. Then the playoffs arrive and we are reminded that is the offense with just a couple new wrinkles. When we have superior talent and good in-game adjustments we win it all. Otherwise the Tigers come up short. For once I say get good at executing all the playbook during the season. Make the playoff opponent plan for all of it. If we have the players it wonít matter what they try to do. Thatís how I saw the LSU team under Brady and Borrow.

However, is it possible we are seeing 90% of the offense during the regular season? If so, itís way past time for a refresh.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:43 PM
Scholarship Player

All TE needs to do is look at the offense LSU ran two years ago and what Bama ran last year with Smith.
Old 04-06-2021, 11:26 PM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: How will Elliott change the offense this year?

When we can figure out our offense then you know DCs can figure it out. Tony has got to stop thinking like an engineer. We are predictable. You can't overmatch everyone you play. We should be able to call any play from anywhere on the field and teams should believe we will do it because we show that we are prepared to do so.

Hit 'em where they ain't. MacArthur applied that term from baseball player Wee Willie Keeler.
Old 04-06-2021, 11:28 PM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: How will Elliott change the offense this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourLucky View Post
All TE needs to do is look at the offense LSU ran two years ago and what Bama ran last year with Smith.
Sounds like a plan to me.
Old 04-06-2021, 11:40 PM
NFL Tiger

All good points and I'll add that the tempo needs to speed up more. Just like teams did with our D last year, don't give the opponent the opportunity to see and adjust. Quick plays and Quick passes. We've got a pretty deep O this year. Use it. Don't give opponents chances to get to DJ.
Old 04-07-2021, 03:52 PM
Travel Team

I hope so , I don't make anything close to a D coordinator and I know what play we are about to run.
Old 04-07-2021, 03:58 PM
Ring of Honor

We'll see. We haven't made any significant changes from a scheme standpoint in a while.

We stay pretty vanilla and don't scheme a lot of guys open. We rely on athletes more than call or scheme...and we get away with it because the conference is garbage.

If anyone needs an example of scheming guys open...LSU in 19, Bama, and I hate giving Ohio St credit but Ryan Day kicked our ass...guys were running open all night, defense wasn't lined up, constantly confused, etc.

That being said, we have plenty of pieces. Lots of running backs, we look loaded at TE and WR. DJ has been great unlimited action. We definitely need the OL to step it up this year....that'll be the key.
Old 04-07-2021, 04:41 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaufortTiger View Post
I hope so , I don't make anything close to a D coordinator and I know what play we are about to run.
Hilarious and sadly true! Great post!!
Old 04-07-2021, 08:12 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemsonfan1364 View Post
We'll see. We haven't made any significant changes from a scheme standpoint in a while.

We stay pretty vanilla and don't scheme a lot of guys open. We rely on athletes more than call or scheme...and we get away with it because the conference is garbage.

If anyone needs an example of scheming guys open...LSU in 19, Bama, and I hate giving Ohio St credit but Ryan Day kicked our ass...guys were running open all night, defense wasn't lined up, constantly confused, etc.

That being said, we have plenty of pieces. Lots of running backs, we look loaded at TE and WR. DJ has been great unlimited action. We definitely need the OL to step it up this year....that'll be the key.

+1