Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2019, 08:03 PM
Travel Team

Default Re: How Southern are You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggershark View Post
I didn’t know what those 2 were along with poke salad and hoppin John?
You’ve never had hoppin John, what do you eat on New Year’s Day? You gotta put that in the list to try post haste. Not because it means anything at all about whether or not you’re truly southern, but cause it’s awesome. I’m from Charleston and we used to check off Hoppin John, chitlins, Turnip greens, fatback, and cornbread on New Year’s Day alone.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:24 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFied View Post
26. Assuming that Poke is raw fish.

It's not. It's made from Poke Berry leaves. Those broad leaf plants with the reddish purple berries that grows in old fields and clear lands. It's got toxins in it and has to be prepared in a specific way to avoid poisoning those who eat it.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:49 PM
Two Deep

I've lived in Anderson/Greenville for all 48 years of my life but I would give moving above the Mason Dixon Line a strong thought before I put anything called "head cheese" in this mouth...blah...where's the vomit emoji????
Old 07-23-2019, 06:13 AM
Two Deep

But lets just be honest. I don't turn down new foods. I will try almost anything once.

When I was poor recent graduate, my job had me travel up to DC. The guys I was traveling with made a joke at a french restaurant about the calves brain on the menu. They couldn't believe anyone would be able to eat it. Well I was already anxious about the prices there and was prepared to just eat an appetizer and that was already more than I wanted to spend.

So I said, "If they pay for my entire lunch, I would eat the whole damn calves brain". They agreed. So I ate it. Not the best. Wouldn't seek it out but it was ok.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:59 AM
Tiger Starter

I got 25, not too bad
Old 07-23-2019, 08:19 AM
Travel Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFied View Post
26. Assuming that Poke is raw fish.
I don't think so.

As a kid me and my parents and grand parents would stop on the side of the road and pick what looks much like greens, a large leafy green plant. How they knew the difference from it and weeds IDK.

They would take it home wash it, and cook it in a big boiler. It would reduce down a lot. It would take several sacks (you know those sacks you use to get at a grocery store to put your food in) to make a decent amount of greens for a meal if you have 5 or 6 people eating.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:39 PM
NFL Tiger

It's a little sad that a "southern qualifying menu" has items on it that true southerners have to look up... but I did some digging anyway.

Burgoo is a non-qualifier. Why? Because here in the south we call it Road Kill stew. Burgoo is a Kentucky term for stewed meat and veggies.

Poke salad I didn't have to look up, because my Grandpa had cows- dumb cows. Poke berries are toxic, so dairy farmers would routinely check the pastures for this plant and uproot it. Somewhere in the past, they figured out how to cook the leaves to leach out the bad stuff.

Congealed salad... you mean Jello salad, right? Fruit salad suspended in crappy green Jello.

If they had said Hogs Head Cheese at the beginning, I wouldn't have needed to look up what "Souse" was. This item is still a hard NO

My number went up by 1 when I found out Chess Pie is really Southern Cream Pie. Who is naming this crap?

Finally, if you have eaten Turnip Greens and they were prepared properly- you can add fatback to the list of things you have eaten.

The only thing I would change about this list is the qualifier. "things you have eaten, and would gladly eat again"

... oh yeah, grits being left off this list is a crime (of course, they probably would have called it "white hominy")

Last edited by mikelongstroke; 07-23-2019 at 01:41 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:01 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelongstroke View Post
It's a little sad that a "southern qualifying menu" has items on it that true southerners have to look up... but I did some digging anyway.

Burgoo is a non-qualifier. Why? Because here in the south we call it Road Kill stew. Burgoo is a Kentucky term for stewed meat and veggies.

Poke salad I didn't have to look up, because my Grandpa had cows- dumb cows. Poke berries are toxic, so dairy farmers would routinely check the pastures for this plant and uproot it. Somewhere in the past, they figured out how to cook the leaves to leach out the bad stuff.

Congealed salad... you mean Jello salad, right? Fruit salad suspended in crappy green Jello.

If they had said Hogs Head Cheese at the beginning, I wouldn't have needed to look up what "Souse" was. This item is still a hard NO

My number went up by 1 when I found out Chess Pie is really Southern Cream Pie. Who is naming this crap?

Finally, if you have eaten Turnip Greens and they were prepared properly- you can add fatback to the list of things you have eaten.

The only thing I would change about this list is the qualifier. "things you have eaten, and would gladly eat again"

... oh yeah, grits being left off this list is a crime (of course, they probably would have called it "white hominy")
I was at 13 until you defined some things and now I'm at a respectable 16.

But, I'm a really picky eater and would pass on a lot of those things for a bowl of Cap'n Crunch.

Also, how did Moonpies get left off? Biscuits and sausage gravy, isn't that southern?

Oh well, I've lived in the south all my life but my tastebuds apparently limit my sourtherness.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:36 PM
NFL Tiger

Cat head biscuits and sausage gravy? yer doggone right!

You can't make Moonpies a qualifier unless you couple it with an RC Cola.