Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2019, 03:46 PM
Banned

Default New 247 Rankings Out

For those who follow recruiting religiously 247 (standalone, not the composite, ESPN being as terrible as they are seriously diminishes the legit) is probably the best of the three major services. This is a particularly significant update just because it's immediately after a number of high profile showcase camps where a significant amount of

Three things stand out:

1. Clemson already has 3 of the top 5 players committed and has a very good chance at ending with 5 of the top 6. This could actually end up being the best recruiting class (at least in terms of top flight talent) in the history of the service.

2. Walker Parks got a big bump. Up 125 spots. He's going to flirt with 5* composite status by the end of this. He's every bit as technically sound as Mitch Hyatt was going into his senior year of high school. If he can fill out up to 290ish by the time he enrolls he has the look of a guy who could immediately help at RT in 2020.

3. Mitchell Mayes had a terrible showing at the opening and 247 really docked him for it. He dropped nearly 700 spots in their rankings and honestly it's not surprising. He's probably going to end up being a RS guy who can only ever play guard.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:18 PM
Owner, Publisher

Default Re: New 247 Rankings Out

Well I was out at The Opening Finals and watched Mayes. He did fine out there. He won some of his 1-on-1's and lost some. Those were against the top DL's in the nation. We had plenty of video up of his performances.

So the fact that they drop him like that shows, what I already knew, that there rankings aren't worth much either.

All of these "services" put way too much weight on how they think these guys do at their "underwear Olympic" events. So at one event they think he is good enough to earn an invite to The Opening Finals. We saw him at that event and thought he looked well there as well. Then after the Finals they drop him like that. Come on man.

Most of these guys have no business ranking the players.

The composite rankings at least give you a good look at the averages from all of the services. That is the most accurate in my book, but still wouldn't put much stock in it for the reasons above.

Mayes will be a very good player at Clemson.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:23 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Thorne MacRae View Post
Well I was out at The Opening Finals and watched Mayes. He did fine out there. He won some of his 1-on-1's and lost some. Those were against the top DL's in the nation. We had plenty of video up of his performances.

So the fact that they drop him like that shows, what I already knew, that there rankings aren't worth much either.

All of these "services" put way too much weight on how they think these guys do at their "underwear Olympic" events. So at one event they think he is good enough to earn an invite to The Opening Finals. We saw him at that event and thought he looked well there as well. Then after the Finals they drop him like that. Come on man.

The composite rankings at least give you a good look at the averages from all of the services. That is the most accurate in my book, but still wouldn't put much stock in it for the reasons above.

247 in their own ratings drop Pryor everytime ESPN and Rivals bump him up.

I like the Composite, but there seems to be a lot a Ratings Games ,like you had with the old Scout Service. Incidentally, 247 absorbed scout
Old 07-23-2019, 04:27 PM
TCI Staff

Yeah, the fact that Mayes dropped hundreds of spots in their rankings based on one event, the "underwear Olympics," is a flat-out joke.

Having seen Mayes in person like Robert, I can tell you with certainty that there isn't 48 offensive guards and 882 players in the country better than him. That's laughable. Like Robert said, there's a reason he was invited to The Opening Finals in the first place.

This is just another example of why Clemson does not care a bit about recruiting rankings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Thorne MacRae View Post