Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > All In Recruiting
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2015, 11:32 AM
Former TCI Staff/Went to Dark Side

Default Camp Offer Eval - 2018 DE Xavier Thomas

Thomas was the guy I thought Clemson had to go ahead and offer.

With the way recruiting is sped up these days, sometimes an offer to a freshman can be a little bit of a risk, given that he's only got one year of tape and still a couple more to develop.

Pulling the trigger on this dude was a no-brainer.

My first encounter with Thomas was from the fall story, written by my buddy Michael Clark, who works for Scout. I read it in April. After I watched his film I wondered why/how nobody else had really written about the kid.

It was a no-brainer. I had to visit Wilson High School in Florence to get a story, so a stop was made while on the way to Myrtle Beach for a wedding. You may recall how impressed I was.

On film Thomas sort of looks like Vic Beasley: Explosive, quick-twitch athlete who destroys quarterbacks. In person, Thomas has a similar disposition: Soft-spoken, polite, humble. And at 6-3, 240ish, Thomas has a similar build.

Before getting too deep with the hyperbole, you won't see Xavier Thomas labeled as the next Vic Beasley, not from me.

But I do think, regardless of class, Thomas is the best defensive end prospect in the state. In 2016, there's Emmanuel Walker, a three-star out of Lake Marion. The best 2017 defensive end appears to be Pendleton's Brad Johnson. Both of those guys are good prospects -- especially Johnson, if he add the weight -- but they're not at the level as Thomas.

Regardless of class, Thomas might be the state's best prospect not named Tavien Feaster.

In terms of his recruitment, there's still a long way to go with Thomas. Florida State, his first offer, has serious staying power. So will South Carolina, the school from this state that he grew up cheering for on Saturdays. Clemson made a strong first impression during his one-day camp visit.

Thomas is an elite player at premium position from inside your state. So one would have to imagine that Brent Venables, Marion Hobby and Danny Pearman will do their darnedest to get him back on campus as often as possible over the next couple of years.

Let's hope, for his sake, that Thomas doesn't get too caught up in the hype, like the 2015 South Carolina signee Shameik Blackshear did when people gave him early labels as the next Jadeveon Clowney.

Fortunately, for Thomas, he's a good head on his shoulders and some folks around him to make sure that he stays grounded.

e-mail: hale@theclemsoninsider.com
Old 06-23-2015, 01:00 PM
NFL Tiger

Default Re: Camp Offer Eval - 2018 DE Xavier Thomas

With the 3-4 year comment coming from the head man at USuCk, you would think that it would help us recruiting the guys that we want (in state.) I like our chances especially coming off back to back playoff trips in 2015 and 2016!