Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2021, 08:55 AM
TCI Staff

Default What are your thoughts on baseball and softball?

The Clemson baseball team got a sweep of Cincinnati this weekend and did it in different ways, while the softball team bounced back from losing to VT on Friday to sweep GT on Saturday and Sunday.

What are your thoughts on both teams so far?
Old 02-22-2021, 10:11 AM
NFL Tiger

Default Re: What are your thoughts on baseball and softball?

With the Softball team I am a little concerned with over using Cagle. The Team is 6-2. Cagle is 4-1. She has pitched 29 innings (out of 53 innings played) and thrown around 460 pitches. I don't know enough about women's softball, but that seems pretty high for so early in the season.

The team has talent. The announcers were talking about several of the new freshman being ranked in the top 50 in last years class. I say new because it is a new program and covid, there are some 3rd year freshman. Clemson will be very good in a few years.

They are super fun to watch. I flipped back and forth between the two games when they were being played yesterday.
Old 02-22-2021, 01:20 PM
Scholarship Player

I am so impressed with our Softball team. They look like they are having fun and also that they have a killer instinct. It is cool to see that mixed together. Kind of like a football team we all know and love.

I also love the makeup of this Baseball team. They are so much better around the plate and we have a shot to win most series on the depth of pitching alone. Lock-down a Sunday starter and we may have something special.

I do have a question Willy V: Are there plans to update the turf around home plate and stretching to the dugouts with the on-deck circles? It just looks so bad and does not match the excellence of DKS overall.

Go Tigers!
BKclem
Old 02-22-2021, 01:41 PM
Ring of Honor

I was thinking same thing about the artificial turf around home plate. Getting kind of faded, but I suppose with Covid expenses and loss of ticket revenue it’s understandable they will delay upgrading until absolutely necessary.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:01 PM
Tiger Starter

Location: Where the Ashley and the Cooper Rivers come together to form the Atlantic Ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggershark View Post
With the Softball team I am a little concerned with over using Cagle. The Team is 6-2. Cagle is 4-1. She has pitched 29 innings (out of 53 innings played) and thrown around 460 pitches. I don't know enough about women's softball, but that seems pretty high for so early in the season.
The pitching motion in softball is not nearly as taxing on the shoulder and elbow as it is in baseball.

If you have any doubts, check out the link below, you will be amazed. The longest NCAA softball game on record is 31 innings. BOTH teams starting pitchers pitched complete games! Not only that, it was a double header and the second game went 25 innings and wasn't finished until 6:10 AM.

Creighton v. Utah (May 11, 1991)
Old 02-22-2021, 03:15 PM
Ring of Honor

Interesting about the stamina of softball pitching. They must do therapy to atleast avoid tendinitis developing. I played a lot of tennis when I was younger. Tennis “elbow” kicked in a few times and that was no fun.
Old 02-22-2021, 04:41 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETyger View Post
The pitching motion in softball is not nearly as taxing on the shoulder and elbow as it is in baseball.

If you have any doubts, check out the link below, you will be amazed. The longest NCAA softball game on record is 31 innings. BOTH teams starting pitchers pitched complete games! Not only that, it was a double header and the second game went 25 innings and wasn't finished until 6:10 AM.

Creighton v. Utah (May 11, 1991)
I guess if that pitcher threw 320 pitches in one game, Cagle should be fine. Lol.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:56 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggershark View Post

The team has talent. The announcers were talking about several of the new freshman being ranked in the top 50 in last years class. I say new because it is a new program and covid, there are some 3rd year freshman. Clemson will be very good in a few years.

They are super fun to watch. I flipped back and forth between the two games when they were being played yesterday.

Once a pitcher hits her teenaged years or is coming back from arm issues there's not really a concern about over use. Unlike the unnatural motion of pitching a baseball the motion used to pitch a fastpitch softball is natural, so the amount of damage it does is minimal.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:49 AM
TCI Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKclem View Post
I am so impressed with our Softball team. They look like they are having fun and also that they have a killer instinct. It is cool to see that mixed together. Kind of like a football team we all know and love.

I also love the makeup of this Baseball team. They are so much better around the plate and we have a shot to win most series on the depth of pitching alone. Lock-down a Sunday starter and we may have something special.

I do have a question Willy V: Are there plans to update the turf around home plate and stretching to the dugouts with the on-deck circles? It just looks so bad and does not match the excellence of DKS overall.

Go Tigers!
BKclem
That is a good question. I'll ask about that for you.