Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2019, 01:48 PM
TCI Staff

Default What have you been most surprised by...

so far this season? It can be Clemson or any college football team, player, etc.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:53 PM
Ring of Honor

Default Re: What have you been most surprised by...

On our team as far as players probably Chad Smith. Out of everyone starting in our front 7 he probably concerned me the most going into the year. But heís been excellent.

UNC starting 2-0 is a little surprising

Tennessee being 0-2 is surprising and hilarious
Old 09-09-2019, 02:24 PM
Two Deep

On our team, the amount of interceptions thrown by TL so far has surprised me.

In all of NCAAF, the power teams of the PAC-12 have surprised me. Overall, I do not consider it a good conference but I expected both Oregon and Washington to be in competition for playoff consideration. You can already scratch the PAC off the list after only two weeks.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:33 PM
Tiger Starter

I'm surprised by our offensive production so far. I figured we'd have more passing production.

Nationally I'm probably most surprised by Tennessee being 0-2. It's a pleasant surprise though.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:34 PM
NFL Tiger

I sat in the stands Saturday and heard complaints from a guy behind me about non-starters being in the game so early and often. Normally, something like that wouldn't surprise me, but it did on Saturday. I finally said "well it worked last year when Dabo did it, so we should just trust that he knows what he's doing."

I mean, c'mon man! We won that game in convincing fashion, really 3 TDs, as that last one came against our younger, inexperienced guys with :06 on the clock. We didn't put up 500+ yards and 50+ on the scoreboard like we could have. But, Dabo and this staff value getting guys ready to compete and letting guys compete that have earned it at practice. Never was that game in jeopardy and our reserves got some quality minutes vs top-level competition. That's better than any practice or scrimmage they'll ever have. This plan pays dividends and has ultimately enabled us to win championships... having that "next man up" mentality, and actually meaning it along with saving our starters for the 15-game season. Our guys looked fresher in the playoffs than ND and Bama; and our reserves looked more game-ready. It's because the depth had been built all season long.

Yes, I'd love to kill every team we play by 5 TDs and we could if we played our starters 75-80% of every game. But, I'll trade that any day of the week to beat Bama by 28 in a national championship and have ZERO worry about major drop off when a reserve goes in because he's already proven himself throughout the season.

**off soapbox now... sorry!
Old 09-09-2019, 03:47 PM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: What have you been most surprised by...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walhalla2Atlanta View Post
I sat in the stands Saturday and heard complaints from a guy behind me about non-starters being in the game so early and often. Normally, something like that wouldn't surprise me, but it did on Saturday. I finally said "well it worked last year when Dabo did it, so we should just trust that he knows what he's doing."

I mean, c'mon man! We won that game in convincing fashion, really 3 TDs, as that last one came against our younger, inexperienced guys with :06 on the clock. We didn't put up 500+ yards and 50+ on the scoreboard like we could have. But, Dabo and this staff value getting guys ready to compete and letting guys compete that have earned it at practice. Never was that game in jeopardy and our reserves got some quality minutes vs top-level competition. That's better than any practice or scrimmage they'll ever have. This plan pays dividends and has ultimately enabled us to win championships... having that "next man up" mentality, and actually meaning it along with saving our starters for the 15-game season. Our guys looked fresher in the playoffs than ND and Bama; and our reserves looked more game-ready. It's because the depth had been built all season long.

Yes, I'd love to kill every team we play by 5 TDs and we could if we played our starters 75-80% of every game. But, I'll trade that any day of the week to beat Bama by 28 in a national championship and have ZERO worry about major drop off when a reserve goes in because he's already proven himself throughout the season.

**off soapbox now... sorry!
I had to catch my own breath after that speech.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:35 PM
NFL Tiger

I am surprised the SEC has lost any games at all. Even when they play each other.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:27 PM
Tiger Starter

I am surprised by the push back the SEC is getting for being overrated. Even Saban getting questioned about their cupcake schedule.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:32 PM
NFL Tiger

Trevor being less than superhuman.

Tennessee sucking sooooooo bad
Old 09-09-2019, 07:52 PM
Scholarship Player

With us, the defense. I worry less about offense as I know we are still averaging 40 pts/game vs two power 5 defenses and we havenít really played nearly to our potential. The defense has just been eye opening despite the loss of several NFL guys including an entire DL.

Nationally. LSU offense and them actually using the forward pass
Old 09-09-2019, 08:09 PM
Ring of Honor

Defense is the easy answer here. More from a scheme standpoint too. Love the back 7, we look more athletic. We'll develop the front 4 as the season wears on, but there is a ceiling there. Venables is the standard as a DC.

People looking for TL to out up Heisman numbers...that's a fools errand. We play too many guys and are not going to get the offense cranked up like that....not this early in the season. Just watching the offense, we dont even try to go down the field to generate some of the numbers either.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:29 PM
NFL Tiger

I expected CBV to cook up a solid defense- heck, thats what he does.

What has surprised me the most is the lack of ability to wrap up and get the ball carrier down on the ground. Way too many arm tackles being run through by the opposition, in both games.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:02 AM
Tiger Starter

I didnít expect our front 7 to play so well so early!

Iím also surprised at UNC. Hope they stay undefeated till our Tigers play them!
Old 09-10-2019, 08:07 AM
Tiger Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelongstroke View Post
I expected CBV to cook up a solid defense- heck, thats what he does.

What has surprised me the most is the lack of ability to wrap up and get the ball carrier down on the ground. Way too many arm tackles being run through by the opposition, in both games.
I'm actually not 100% surprised by this. We got a lot of newbies up front. Our LBs are pretty green still, and our DL is undersized compared to what we just lost. I don't think Dexter Lawrence missed a single tackle last year. So when our true freshmen that's about 40 lbs lighter misses one I'm not shocked. Same with our LBs. Those guys aren't used to playing this much and being so responsible for making these one-on-one tackles. I also think they are still adjusting to the 3-3-5.