Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2020, 01:33 PM
Founder/Publisher

Default From the Sidelines - Citadel

For the past 11 years I have shared my thoughts after watching the Tigers From the Sidelines. Unfortunately this season the ACC has restricted us to a pool photographer but I will still share my thoughts.

In this edition my thoughts after watching Clemson whip the Citadel 49-0.

- First some kudos to all of those that worked so hard at Clemson to prepare for this unusual game day. They did a great job of social distancing the fans. A lot of people put in a lot of work to get everything ready.

- Trevor Lawrence was as sharp as we have seen, even though his playing time was limited. He was on the money on every throw and several were long throws. The only incompletion was a good pass that Amari Rodger just dropped.

- Frank Ladson's performance was just what the doctor ordered. Clemson needs some of the receivers to raise their game and Ladson did that on Saturday. When Gavin and I saw him play his first game of his senior season as part of our Tour of Champions we knew he was going to be a good one. He has that great combination of size and speed that the Tigers like at receiver. Hopefully he will be a consistent weapon this year.

- Travis played well as expect but hardly broke a sweat. There is no need to leave him in long in this type of game.

- As good as the first team offense looked, the second team did not. 49 points at the half was great, but zip in the second half against the Citadel shows that the backups need plenty of work. The good news is they will get plenty of game experience and I expect to see improvement.

- The second team offensive line is probably one of the biggest concerns after two games. There is plenty of talent there, but they just need some experience. Hopefully that will come and the starters will remain healthy while they gain the much needed experience.

- I'm still waiting to see Bowman break a long run. It will come. It is just a matter of time.

- Simpson showed some flashes Saturday. He is going to be a great one at Clemson. Coach Venables will love all of the things he can do on the field.

- There weren't a lot of passes from the Citadel but when they did there were too many open receivers. The secondary still has some work to do.

- It was great seeing Capehart get his first game under his belt. Murphy and Bresee are getting plenty of well deserved attention. Capehart will be getting the same in the future after he gains some experience.

- Murphy and Bresee may be the two best freshmen d-line in the nation. They are exactly what we thought and hoped. Having both on the same team is unfair to the opponents. Just imagine how good they will be come playoff time.

- This season it is more important than ever to get your backup QB ready in case something happens related to COVID-19. DJ's learning curve is getting accelerated with the playing time he has seen in the first two games. That will continue as they Tigers put teams away early. That will help the Tigers be prepared if they need him to step in this year, but also as important will have him more than ready next year to continue the elite QB play at Clemson.

- While the SEC is just getting ready to open their season and the Big Ten is still a month away the Tigers already have two wins in the books and are looking like the No. 1 team in the nation. The ACC has definitely shown they had the best plan for this season. They have the wiggle room to move games around when needed that the other conferences will not have.

- Last it was just great seeing football back in Death Valley. There were times this summer where we all wondered if we would see Clemson football this year. It was very painful for me to not be able to watch the Tigers from the sidelines but it was great to see Clemson football. Lets hope this season ends with another national championship.
Old 09-20-2020, 01:43 PM
Tiger Starter

Default Re: From the Sidelines - Citadel

I missed these posts as much as the games.
Old 09-20-2020, 01:55 PM
Two Deep

I like the attendance distancing strategy. Have any other stadiums done that? In Tampa the bucs stadium is empty
Clemson class of '92
Old 09-20-2020, 03:30 PM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: From the Sidelines - Citadel

I really donít get the concern about the second team offensive line players. As a unit, they didnít play well. However, we do not substitute the entire first team O-line with the entire second team O-line in a meaningful game. We assign a second team player to rotate in. Iím more concerned if a second team lineman can do his job when he rotates into the O-line.
Old 09-20-2020, 03:32 PM
Ring of Honor

Post Re: From the Sidelines - Citadel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug View Post
I like the attendance distancing strategy. Have any other stadiums done that? In Tampa the bucs stadium is empty
The seating was well done but it should be expected. We have several engineering programs at Clemson University. Figuring out the seating really is just an applied math problem.
Old 09-20-2020, 03:35 PM
Founder/Publisher

They worked on many models with different crowd sizes all summer long.
Old 09-20-2020, 07:13 PM
NFL Tiger

Totally agree with all this. TL looks dialed in. Still worried about the secondary. They look rough so far.

Most of all... just happy to see games back in the Valley again. Go Tigers
Old 09-20-2020, 07:39 PM
Two Deep

I would have liked the seats in the stands to have alternated from side to side rather than behind each other. There was just one row between me and the people behind me. If they had been off to the left or right of my seats it would have been better.... especially since they were not wearing masks the entire game.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:42 AM
Tiger Starter

I was really happy to see Ladson have a good game. I think that'll do wonders for his confidence going forward.

If DJ weren't so tall I might think Tajh was back on the field. Had to watch this game on my phone and when they were all that small he really looked like Tajh at times. I mean the #5 was a dead giveaway but still. Really excited to watch him going forward
Old 09-21-2020, 12:05 PM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by andsckoa View Post
I would have liked the seats in the stands to have alternated from side to side rather than behind each other. There was just one row between me and the people behind me. If they had been off to the left or right of my seats it would have been better.... especially since they were not wearing masks the entire game.
I also wondered why they were lined up directly behind the others and not staggered. As mentioned above though, they looked at several ways to seat the fans.
Old 09-21-2020, 12:11 PM
NFL Tiger

For those that were there...

How was the piped in noise for y'all? Weird? Loud?

Concessions? I heard all food was prepackaged. Were there social distance lines?

And I believe there was no reentry if someone left. Correct?

Was there a limit on beer sales?

It sucked knowing there was no meeting at the paw but I get it. And it also sucked that the band could not perform and line up on the field before the game.
Old 09-21-2020, 12:12 PM
Tiger Starter

I thought EJ showed some flashes as well. Seems like he and DJ already have a good repoire with each other. I think most of our concerns are first world problems, but does it seem that DJ gets in a bit of a hurry or sees "imaginary" pressure? I'm a huge DJ fan, so just thrilled that he is finally in orange slinging the ball around. I'm still in awe at Murphy and Bresee and feel like they will be able to continue their dominance against better competition. The whole team and especially the defense has a different "something" about them. I expect some challenges this season, but no reason they can't go the distance. I initially thought the revised schedule would be tougher, but actually it should set up pretty well. We have weaknesses just like every team, but should be a great ride.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:36 PM
Two Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMITH2554 View Post
For those that were there...

How was the piped in noise for y'all? Weird? Loud?

Concessions? I heard all food was prepackaged. Were there social distance lines?

And I believe there was no reentry if someone left. Correct?

Was there a limit on beer sales?

It sucked knowing there was no meeting at the paw but I get it. And it also sucked that the band could not perform and line up on the field before the game.
The crowd, not just this year, gets quiet at times. That was really the only time I even heard that fake noise. It wasnít very loud.
Donít know about beer; didnít have any but was disappointed there wasnít some real food like hot dogs. I was hungry having come to the game directly from work. Peanuts, popcorn, yucky soft pretzels.
With so few people, lines were virtually nonexistent at concession stands.

No reentry.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:40 AM
NFL Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by andsckoa View Post
The crowd, not just this year, gets quiet at times. That was really the only time I even heard that fake noise. It wasnít very loud.
Donít know about beer; didnít have any but was disappointed there wasnít some real food like hot dogs. I was hungry having come to the game directly from work. Peanuts, popcorn, yucky soft pretzels.
With so few people, lines were virtually nonexistent at concession stands.

No reentry.
Thanks for your reply! I am glad that you got to go!!
Old 09-22-2020, 10:54 AM
Scholarship Player

Wasn't the normal game day experience. Not as much excitement. But lots of elbow and leg room to literally stretch out. Wow that was nice.

Piped in crowd noise sounded bad and further re-inforced how bad the stadium sound system needs a major upgrade to match the status of our program.

Was struck with how absolutely idiotic it was to have cheerleader's having to wear masks and be barred from the field in an outdoor stadium. Instead they have to cheer on the hill in front of the band who is blowing on wind and brass instruments. Totally not their fault and not their rules, but it was stupid on display.

Also a head scratcher to see referees wearing masks. No doubt the thinnest things possible. Again in an outdoor stadium.

Not crowded before, during or after the game. Traffic was essentially non-existent.

I'd rather have the chaos of a full house. Hate the people encroaching on your seat, but worth it to hear 80,00+ excited people.