Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2020, 06:56 PM
Founder/Publisher

Default The Insider Report

It is time for this week’s edition of The Insider Report.

We hope everyone had a good weekend. It was a tough one for the Tigers in South Bend but they showed plenty of fight and heart.

Parents Not Happy with How They Were Treated at Notre Dame

Hopefully you have already seen the story we broke on Sunday about how the Clemson parents that made the trip to South Bend were treated by the ushers in the stadium. The parents were harassed for the first half and eventually had to go get some of the police officers in the stadium to stop the harassment.

We can tell you that our story caused quite the reaction. One parent sent it to President Clements who was not aware of the situation. He told that parent that he would discuss the situation with Athletic Director Dan Radakovich.

We expect that treatment might add a little fuel to the fire if the two teams meet again in Charlotte for the ACC Championship game. It is one thing for the players to be upset about the loss, but another when the moms are not happy.

Clemson Makes the Cut

One of the top recruiting targets for Brent Venables and the Tigers in the 2022 cycle narrowed down his recruitment last week, and Clemson made the cut as expected.

Salisbury (N.C.) four-star linebacker Jalon Walker, a top-50 national prospect in the 2022 class, released a top six on social media comprised of Clemson, Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, North Carolina and Ohio State.

Walker (6-2, 220) has long been on Clemson’s radar, having participated in the Dabo Swinney Football Camp three summers in a row prior to this summer, when Swinney’s camps were cancelled due to COVID-19. Walker most recently visited Clemson this past spring in March before the NCAA shut down all in-person recruiting in response to the coronavirus. While on campus, he was able to tour the football facility, sit in on a team meeting, take in a spring practice, meet Dabo Swinney and spend substantial time with Venables.

Clemson extended an offer to Walker on June 1, and Venables and the Tigers have done a nice job of forming a strong relationship with him – one of the reasons they factor prominently into his top group. “Me having a great relationship with the staff and players makes it better,” Walker told TCI after announcing his top six. “They always make me feel welcome every time I was able to visit.”

Walker has a connection to Clemson via redshirt sophomore defensive end K.J. Henry. Walker’s father, Curtis, has been the head coach at Catawba College since 2012, and Henry’s father, Keith, served as the defensive coordinator on Walker’s father’s staff from 2013-16. Walker and Henry have known each other for a while now, and Walker told us he sees Henry as like a brother to him.

Walker told us he grew up a fan of the Tigers while living in Conway, S.C., when his dad was the defensive coordinator and linebackers coach at Coastal Carolina, a position he held from 2002-11.

Walker says at this point in his recruitment, he doesn’t know when he will commit to a school. But we feel good about where Clemson stands with him right now.

Williams Ready to Narrow Field

Another one of Clemson’s top targets on the defensive side of the ball for the 2022 class is planning to cut down his recruitment at the beginning of next year.

Columbus (Ga.) Hardaway four-star defensive lineman Mykel Williams, who holds nearly 30 offers, has circled Jan. 1 as the date when he will drop his top-10 schools list.

Clemson, which offered Williams on June 1, is a lock to make the cut according to Williams. “Clemson is going to be in there,” he told TCI recently, adding that his relationship with the coaches and the positive things he hears about the campus and the staff are reasons why the Tigers are one of his favorites. Williams communicates with Clemson defensive ends coach Lemanski Hall on a weekly basis and has built a good bond with him.

Williams told TCI that he is thinking about making his commitment on either June 29, 2021, or August 23rd, 2021. June 29 is his birthday, and August 23 is when his baby sister will turn two years old.

Williams told us that Georgia, LSU, Ohio State, Miami and Southern Cal are some of the other schools that will definitely make his top schools list, as things stand now.

Please do not copy or paste this information to any other media outlets. As you know TCI is Free so if you know someone that wants the information simply send them to The Rock.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:17 PM
Ring of Honor

Default Re: The Insider Report

I still find it hard to believe that an usher vs a fans were what caused the problem at ND (I’m not doubting it happened only that it is so unusual). I would think that ND probably wouldn’t appreciate what are effectively official representatives of the university acting that way but maybe I’m giving them too much benefit of the doubt.

I know if I heard about that from a Clemson usher it would irritate me (heck I don’t even like other fans to do it).
Old 11-09-2020, 07:45 PM
Founder/Publisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Tiger View Post
I still find it hard to believe that an usher vs a fans were what caused the problem at ND (I’m not doubting it happened only that it is so unusual). I would think that ND probably wouldn’t appreciate what are effectively official representatives of the university acting that way but maybe I’m giving them too much benefit of the doubt.

I know if I heard about that from a Clemson usher it would irritate me (heck I don’t even like other fans to do it).
It was a number of ushers, not just one. If you saw Twitter last night a number of players parents were retweeting our story and one even said on Twitter they were harassed. We got feedback on our story from a number of the parents who were very glad we made this public.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:56 PM
Ring of Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Thorne MacRae View Post
It was a number of ushers, not just one. If you saw Twitter last night a number of players parents were retweeting our story and one even said on Twitter they were harassed. We got feedback on our story from a number of the parents who were very glad we made this public.
I saw it - just really surprised. Heck I’ve never heard of NCSU or scar ushers/staff acting that way; would expect ND too. Wonder how ND’s admin will respond to that.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:57 PM
NFL Tiger

Glad to see you reporting on this. Love our players and their families. Shouldn’t have to deal with that on the road.
Old 11-10-2020, 07:43 AM
NFL Tiger

They weren't ushers but while sitting in an Isle seat at NCS, I had members of the band come up and played trombone right at me. He about got punched. Their fans loved it.
Old 11-10-2020, 08:44 AM
Ring of Honor

What got it started? I can only think maybe they were giving grief because folks weren’t wearing their masks? I understood ND students weren’t abiding by covid rules.
Old 11-10-2020, 08:48 AM
Travel Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Thorne MacRae View Post
Was this some kind of special attention to telling our fans to pull their masks up or something along those lines? How much could an usher harass the fans?