Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2021, 07:18 PM
Founder/Publisher

Default The Insider Report

It is time for this week’s edition of The Insider Report.

We hope everyone had a great weekend.

Help Is on the Way – Does that include Chandler and Taylor?

More help is on the way for the Clemson football team as the summer enrollees in the 2021 class are set to arrive on campus this week. The move-in date is this Thursday, June 24.

The group of newcomers includes a couple of five-star signees in offensive lineman Tristian Leigh and linebacker/safety hybrid Barrett Carter.

Based on our information, we expect both quarterbacks – Will Taylor and Bubba Chandler – to move in Thursday, while wide receiver Troy Stellato, offensive lineman Dietrick Pennington and defensive end Zaire Patterson are the other signees expected to move in.

Taylor told TCI he can’t wait to get on campus this week and confirmed that Chandler plans to move in Thursday as well. The two will be roommates.

Of course, both are welcome additions for the Tigers, who need depth at quarterback right now following Taisun Phommachanh’s Achilles injury in the spring game. But both Chandler and Taylor are potential first-round picks in July’s MLB Draft and will soon have big decisions to make about their futures.
While neither has indicated what direction they might go in the long run,

Taylor did have this to say to TCI: “As of now I am going to Clemson 100 percent. I will possibly put some thought into it if a professional team reaches out closer to the draft but as of now I am a Tiger.”

Taylor has met with both Dabo Swinney and Monte Lee recently, and he has also done a few local workouts with MLB teams.

New Arrival: Five-star Barrett Carter

TCI also caught up with one of the aforementioned five-star signees, Barrett Carter, a product of North Gwinnett High School in Suwanee, Ga.

Carter will be rooming with Stellato. Stellato committed to Clemson a couple of weeks after Carter pledged to the Tigers in May 2020, and the two have become really close friends.

The coaches have been telling Carter to stay ready and keep preparing physically as well as mentally by studying the playbook. He is a versatile defender that can do a lot of things on defense, a la an Isaiah Simmons. The Tigers believe he has the size and physicality to play in the box, with the speed, range and coverage ability to play on the back end.

Based on what he has heard from the staff, Carter expects to start out playing the nickel/SAM spot, and as he gets that position down, Brent Venables wants him to learn the inside linebacker position and envisions moving him around to play some safety and dime as well.

Carter told us his goals for year one are to be a freshman All-American and be on the All-Academic team, while most importantly helping the Tigers win a lot of games. “My goal is four national championships throughout my years at Clemson,” he said. “But I really just want to do everything I can to be the best person that I can be, too, as well as the best player.”

Five-star Jayden Wayne Update

We wanted to pass along an update on one of the top defensive linemen that visited Clemson for the Dabo Swinney Camp, Tacoma (Wash.) Lincoln High School five-star Jayden Wayne.

Wayne is considered one of the top overall prospects in the 2023 class, regardless of position, and boasts offers from Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Notre Dame, Texas, Texas A&M and Oregon among many others.

While the Tigers have not yet offered Wayne, defensive tackles coach Todd Bates told him they are high on him and have talked about him in their meetings.

Wayne is fond of the coaches as well after getting the chance to meet them and also likes the campus. He felt comfortable around the current Clemson defensive linemen he was able to spend time with and told us that the Tigers would be high on his list if they pull the trigger on an offer. “I definitely think they could be at the top,” he said.

Wayne has also been to Washington, Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Texas, Texas A&M, TCU, Southern Cal, Michigan and Notre Dame since the dead period ended June 1. He is scheduled to visit Oregon, Florida and Miami this week.

2023 Updates

Clemson continues to extend its footprint in Texas with prospects such as Cypress (Tx.) Cy Ranch 2023 four-star defensive lineman Ashton Porter, who was on campus recently. Even based on an unofficial visit, Clemson already feels like home for Porter (6-4, 235) who is keeping his options open, but already likes the feel and culture that the Tigers have to offer.

Dacula (Ga.) Hebron Christian Academy 2023 safety Jack Luttrell is definitely intrigued by Clemson. Lutrell has yet to receive an offer from the Tigers, who want to focus on continuing to build a relationship with the Georgia product. Luttrell is from the part of Georgia that Clemson safeties coach Mickey Conn reigns from. Conn has kept in regular contact with Luttrell’s high school head coach as Clemson continues to express interest.

Clemson made a great impression on Many (La.) four-star linebacker Tackett Curtis and his family. Curtis’s uncle, who also happens to be his head coach, spoke with TCI about his nephew’s recruitment. Jess Curtis has tagged along the recruiting trail and said that Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables was sizing up Tackett on his unofficial visit. Clemson laid out the orange carpet for the Louisiana native and painted a clear picture for one of the nation’s top linebackers. The Tigers will pick things back up on Sept. 1 when they’re allowed to communicate directly with 2023 prospects.

Please do not copy or paste this information to any other media outlets. As you know TCI is Free so if you know someone that wants the information simply send them to The Rock.

Last edited by Sam Neumann; 06-21-2021 at 10:20 PM.
Old 06-21-2021, 11:33 PM
Travel Team

Default Re: The Insider Report

My son met Bubba Chandler in Sedona, AZ last week! We live in Sedona and my son works at a local ice cream shop and ALWAYS wears something Clemson. (He actually gets better tips because of it!) When Bubba came in, they started chatting about Clemson, etc. It was a cool experience for him and it's always fun to meet Tigers in AZ!! I hope he stays at Clemson and doesn't go into the draft! Go Tigers!
Old 06-22-2021, 11:22 AM
Tiger Starter

Default Re: The Insider Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergirl98 View Post
My son met Bubba Chandler in Sedona, AZ last week! We live in Sedona and my son works at a local ice cream shop and ALWAYS wears something Clemson. (He actually gets better tips because of it!) When Bubba came in, they started chatting about Clemson, etc. It was a cool experience for him and it's always fun to meet Tigers in AZ!! I hope he stays at Clemson and doesn't go into the draft! Go Tigers!
Awesome on all fronts. We were there a couple of weeks ago. Surprised I didn't run into him with my Clemson gear on as we got ice cream every chance we could.

Amazing town!