Clemson Insider Logo

Go Back   The Clemson Insider Forums > Clemson Fans Only - FREE - Register Today > The Rock
Chat FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2021, 07:12 PM
Founder/Publisher

Default The Insider Report

It is time for this week’s edition of The Insider Report.

We normally say we hope everyone had a great weekend, but this week we know that is likely not the case after Clemson opened the season with a loss to Georgia.

Arch Manning Update

We wanted to give an update on where things stand with the nation’s No. 1 overall prospect in the 2023 class, five-star quarterback Arch Manning.

The generational talent from Isidore Newman School in New Orleans hit the road this summer to visit Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Texas, SMU and Ole Miss, along with Clemson.

The Tigers got Manning on campus during the Dabo Swinney Camp in June, and we can tell you he will be returning to take in a game at Death Valley sometime this fall.

“He will be going to Death Valley,” Manning’s head coach at Isidore Newman, Nelson Stewart, told The Clemson Insider. “I know he’s awful excited to get a chance to see them play.”

Per Stewart, Clemson quarterbacks coach Brandon Streeter got back in touch with Manning last Wednesday, Sept. 1, when coaches were allowed to begin directly contacting prospects in the 2023 class. Manning set up a FaceTime call with Streeter that night, and Stewart also told us Manning has been on a Zoom call with the whole offensive staff in the past.

Isidore Newman’s season has been delayed due to Hurricane Ida, but Stewart said they are on track for a Week 3 start with a home opener on Sept. 17, and that Streeter is planning to be in attendance to see Manning.

Stewart described Manning’s trip to Clemson in June as a “home run trip” and said “it couldn’t have gone any better.” He and his family were impressed on all levels, from the culture and how the players and coaches interacted with them to the coaching staff continuity and Clemson’s quarterback development, among other things. And it certainly didn’t hurt that Manning had the chance to spend time at Swinney’s house and received an offer from Swinney under the lights of Death Valley.

According to Stewart, in addition to Clemson, Manning is looking to visit schools such as Alabama, Texas, Georgia, LSU and Ole Miss this season.

As for where Manning is in the recruiting process, Stewart said he thinks it’s still early and it will be important for him to form relationships on his own now that he can communicate directly with coaches, and he and his family want to get on different campuses to experience game-day environments.

“He’s just real humble in it (the recruiting process), real early, and trying not to lean,” Stewart said. “He’s not one of those guys that’s going to make any impulsive decisions. So, a lot left to do. I don’t think anybody’s behind in this.”

Manning, of course, is the grandson of former Ole Miss and NFL quarterback Archie Manning, son of Cooper Manning and nephew of former NFL quarterbacks Peyton and Eli Manning.

New Offers

Clemson sent out two offers to prospects in the 2023 class this past week: Colonial Heights (Va.) Life Christan Academy three-star OL Joshua Miller and Findlay (Oh.) High School four-star OL Luke Montgomery.

For the latter, Montgomery released a top-12 list this summer and Clemson was the only offer he was waiting on.

A source familiar with Montgomery’s recruitment told TCI that Notre Dame and Ohio State are the two schools at the head of the pack at this point in time. Montgomery has family down in South Bend (IN.) and many connections to Ohio State.

Clemson and Oklahoma could be two programs with a shot at prying Montgomery out of the Midwest. He felt a similar atmosphere at Clemson as he did at Notre Dame and Ohio State, according to the same source.

Ready, Set, Go

Sept. 1 marks the official date that college football coaches and recruiting staff are allowed to begin actively reaching out to high school juniors in the 2023 class via text messages and direct messages on social media.

TCI caught up with multiple Class of 2023 prospects, including Alcoa (Tenn.) High School three-star OL Lance Williams, West Bloomfield (Mich.) High School four-star OL Amir Herring and Highland Home (Ala.) High School four-star DL Keldric Faulk, all of whom heard from Clemson last Wednesday.

Here are some updates on each of Williams, Herring and Faulk.

Williams said it “felt great” to hear from the Tigers and Clemson offensive line coach Robbie Caldwell.

“Coach Caldwell and the main Twitter account for Clemson both sent me graphics and told me they are very excited to build a great relationship with me,” he said.

Williams is planning on heading back to The Valley for a game this season. He has to look at the schedule to talk to his parents about finding a good game, though.

While he hasn’t gotten any indication about a potential offer, Williams maintains that he has a “great relationship” with Clemson and he can tell that they like him a lot, he added.

As for Herring, he also heard from Caldwell.

“It’s been a great experience so far,” Herring said. “I’m hearing from a lot of coaches from different areas of the country. It felt great to get love from Coach Caldwell and the rest of the coaching staff.”

Last but certainly not least is Faulk, who included Clemson in his top-4 last month, despite not holding an offer from the Tigers.

Faulk heard from Lemanski Hall and Clemson’s defensive ends coach is hoping that the Alabama pass-rusher can make his way up for this Saturday’s game against South Carolina State.

Tigers Making Good Impression

Avon (CT.) Avon Old Farms School 2024 safety KeShawn Adams was at the Dabo Swinney camp earlier this summer. TCI recently checked back in on Adams, who continues to hear from Clemson.

Clemson impressed Adams from the start, especially with Swinney ensuring from the start that everything would be “position-specific.” That made Adams happy because it forced him to focus on improving his game, rather than the combine aspect.

“The safeties coach, Coach Mickey Conn, said he really liked my patience,” Adams added. “He liked that I was only Class of ‘24, so I’m really young with a lot of potential. I talked to (cornerbacks coach) Mike Reed a lot because while safety is my main position, sometimes I can play nickel, I can play corner.”

Adams left with the impression that Clemson is definitely interested in him.

“Yeah, 100 percent. I know that it was definitely hard because, at that time, I didn’t have any offers,” he said. “I would have loved for Clemson to be my first offer, but I know that God-willing, down the road, I’m only going into my sophomore season. I’ll be back there soon and an offer will definitely be something that they give me the chance at earning down the road.”

5-star Corner Watches Border War

TCI learned that five-star cornerback A.J. Harris was in attendance for last Saturday’s marquee matchup at the Duke’s Mayo Classic at Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte.

Harris, who hails from The Glenwood School in Phenix City (Ala.), was there as a guest of the Tigers. He included Clemson in his top-13 list back in early July and made his way back to Tiger Town for an unofficial visit at the end of last month.

“I loved the way Clemson is set up,” Harris told TCI last month. “It’s a very discreet location. There’s not too much going on all-around it. I’m a homebody, I don’t really like doing too much. That’s kind of right up my alley and it’s just making sure that you get your education and playing football at a high level. That’s just something that’s big for me. I’m not really a big city type of guy. I definitely like the setup of the whole campus.”

Have We Seen Last of the Gathering at The Paw

If you saw the protocols released earlier you know that for at least the first two games the Gathering at the Paw will not happen again this year.

We spoke with a couple of sources about whether they expect the policy to change later this season to allow fans to gather at the Paw. It sounds like that is unlikely.

There are some at Clemson that would prefer to not ever allow the Gathering at the Paw again. There are of course major security concerns that allow the fans to jump over the walls and storm the field at the end of the games in the Valley.

There are also some at Clemson that would like to see the tradition continue once the COVID concerns are gone.

We will have to see if the tradition returns.

Please do not copy or paste this information to any other media outlet. As you know TCI is Free so if you know someone that wants the information simply send them to The Rock.

Last edited by Sam Neumann; 09-06-2021 at 07:31 PM.
Old 09-06-2021, 08:04 PM
Tiger Starter

Default Re: The Insider Report

Good stuff Robert. It's nice to see the positive shine thru the negative crap. There's something in those hills and no matter how many try to tear it down, it will rise above.
Old 09-06-2021, 08:11 PM
NFL Tiger

Good luck stopping the gathering at the Paw...
Old 09-06-2021, 08:49 PM
Two Deep

Any comment from Delp? Wasn't he on the Tiger sideline Saturday?